Demaryius Thomas or Eric Decker? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Demaryius Thomas or Eric Decker?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Demaryius Thomas or Eric Decker?

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

I would much prefer Decker. Peyton rewards and feeds WR that run correct routes and are always where they are supposed to be. It is a trust thing. Thomas is not a polished route runner and that will frustrate Peyton. Decker appears to have a way high football IQ and runs spot on routes. Believe me when I say that means a lot to Peyton.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benb18a » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Yeah that was always Harrison's meal ticket, and why he remained productive for so long ;-D

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:51 pm

I still like Thomas. He is definitely the most physically gifted WR Peyton has ever worked with. Just by looking at how big he is and how athletic he is, Peyton can put the ball almost anywhere and he can go make a play on it.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby LMack » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:29 pm

stomperrob wrote:

Gonna be interesting to see how the battle between Thomas & Decker plays out in training camp. Of course in a Peyton Manning led offense, no reason both these guys can't be successful.

This thinking is why I find myself getting Decker in more drafts than Thomas. They'll both be valuable to the point where I prefer Decker at 6.10 to Thomas at 4.12, especially when receivers such as Colston, Bryant, Bowe, Lloyd, Maclin, and Brown are going after Thomas currently.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:07 pm

Tamme > Decker > Thomas

Tamme already has Manning's trust, he's a very hard worker and he's a solid route runner. The guy is going in the latter half of most drafts and will probably put up top 10 numbers for his position if he plays a full year, and there's no reason to think he won't. His ceiling is high and his ADP is relatively low.

Decker proved to me last year that even with an absolutely crappy thrower at the helm in Tim Tebow, he still produced. I question his ability to do so every week, but I'll take my chances if Manning is quarterbacking all year. If you can get him in the 5th or 6th, great. I just wouldn't pick him ahead of some of the more proven names out there.

Thomas' admission that he didn't study routes concerns me. I think Manning will make him a better player. If Thomas doesn't step up and learn the offense, he'll end up on the bench. Just ask Terrence Wilkins how not knowing routes worked out for him during his first stint in Indy. You have to know where to be at all times, otherwise you won't make it with Manning under center. I saw him going as early as the late 3rd/early 4th recently and cannot for my life see why. Far too risky. I think the one play in the AFC Wild Card game is still fresh in people's minds and make prospective drafters think he's the next big thing. The guy is, without question, green and largely unproven. Why on earth you'd take a guy like that with far better proven talent on the board is beyond me. Take him later? Sure. But not in the top 5 rounds of the draft. That's just throwing a dart at a board at a point in the draft when you should still be able to find solid talent at WR on the board (e.g. Dwayne Bowe, Stevie Johnson, Jeremy Maclin, etc...).
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Peyton Manning confirmed that Demaryius Thomas "is a guy we're going to feature."
Thomas is clearly the Broncos' most naturally gifted receiver, so featuring him is a no-brainer. "His size, and strength and speed just allow you to do certain things with him that other players just can't do," Manning said. At 6'3/229, Thomas is the biggest receiver Manning has ever played with. Targets should not be an issue here.

Source: Denver Post Aug 2 - 2:41 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... layer-news
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Wood Chipper » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Eric Decker, Peyton loves him and Decker is a polished route runner.
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Pack Fan in HTown » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:07 pm

For me if you are in a PPR than take decker, but standard formats I like Thomas.
Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
Samual Jackson as Jules: Pulp Fiction

Pack Fan in HTown
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Stevooo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:15 pm

I think Thomas will outproduce Decker slightly but for the value Ill take Decker everytime and grab a Colston, Bowe or Harvin earlier where Thomas will go.
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Cuffs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Stevooo wrote:I think Thomas will outproduce Decker slightly but for the value Ill take Decker everytime and grab a Colston, Bowe or Harvin earlier where Thomas will go.

Agreed. Thomas should have a good year. But if he's actually going in rounds 4-5, there are a lot of guys I'd rather have at that draft position: Lloyd, Harvin, Bryant, and Maclin. The problem with Thomas is the Peyton Manning overhype bias is rubbing off on him. Manning hasn't proved he's the QB he was before injury, and he has not proved he has the arm strength he used to. He could return to form, but there is no guarantee that he will do so to a great enough extent to make an injury-plagued Thomas worth a 4th round pick.

As said above, I'm betting on Manning making a nice recovery, but I'm seeing a lot more value in Tamme going in double-digit draft round range than i am Thomas in 4-5. Even with those physical tools, Thomas always misses games.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk