This is getting ridiculous - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

This is getting ridiculous

Moderator: Football Moderators

This is getting ridiculous

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

Lions players seem determined to surpass all Bengals records for number of players arrested.

Lions CB Aaron Berry apologizes for arrest
8:20 PM, June 26, 2012
By George Sipple and Kevin Bull
Detroit Free Press Sports

The Lions are 6-for-6 in 2012 — and not in terms of passing or field-goal accuracy.

After cornerback Aaron Berry’s weekend arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence in Harrisburg, Pa., Lions players have been busted six times on drug or alcohol charges this year — once in each of the first six months.

Berry, 24, was charged with misdemeanor driving under the influence, two counts of accidents involving unattended vehicles and two counts of failure to stop and render aid leaving the scene of an accident early Saturday morning, according to Harrisburg Police Cpl. Atah Akakpo-Martin.

“He was booked,” Akakpo-Martin said. “He stayed a couple hours in the police station and then he was released.”

Harrisburg Police Sgt. Luis Rodriguez confirmed that a witness reported a man driving a BMW ran into two parked cars and drove away from the scene. One car was pushed onto the curb.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20120626/S ... rry-arrest
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: This is getting ridiculous

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:09 pm

Isn't it something. Just how dumb do you have to be not to call a cab? On a related note, and I am surprised you haven't mentioned this, Rob.
Jim Schwartz and the Detroit Lions agreed to a multi-year contract extension Friday

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... s_bot.html
Story goes on to say Schwartz may have been gotten at a bit of a discount since there have been 4 players accounting for 6 arrests this offseason under the helm of the Schwartz. It worries me a bit that you have a head coach who doesn't seem to control his own emotions well, and obviously has little or no control over his players conduct, getting signed to a deal. I don't know what concerns me more; the thought of an undisciplined team trying to get by should Stafford get hurt, or should everything progress well only to see us lose big games as Schwartz either doesn't have the team mentally prepared or just gets out-coached.
I would feel better if the Lions would send a message by cutting this dude. Realisticly, I know we can't, but still we have to try to get thru to these guys before one of them kills someone.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:08 pm

moochman wrote:Isn't it something. Just how dumb do you have to be not to call a cab? On a related note, and I am surprised you haven't mentioned this, Rob.
Jim Schwartz and the Detroit Lions agreed to a multi-year contract extension Friday

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... s_bot.html
Story goes on to say Schwartz may have been gotten at a bit of a discount since there have been 4 players accounting for 6 arrests this offseason under the helm of the Schwartz. It worries me a bit that you have a head coach who doesn't seem to control his own emotions well, and obviously has little or no control over his players conduct, getting signed to a deal. I don't know what concerns me more; the thought of an undisciplined team trying to get by should Stafford get hurt, or should everything progress well only to see us lose big games as Schwartz either doesn't have the team mentally prepared or just gets out-coached.
I would feel better if the Lions would send a message by cutting this dude. Realisticly, I know we can't, but still we have to try to get thru to these guys before one of them kills someone.

I'm behind on my newspaper reading this weekend, hadn't seen this one yet.

It would be nice to see Schwartz rein in these clowns - wouldn't hurt to have some stronger leadership by some of the players as well to clue these guys in (I still say having Suh kick the snot outta these goofs might help).
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:53 pm

...and on it goes:

Detroit Lions' Aaron Berry arrested again; team's seventh arrest this offseason
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 8:55 AM Updated: Sunday, July 22, 2012, 12:43 PM
Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com

Detroit Lions cornerback Aaron Berry was arrested early Saturday morning for the second time within 30 days and charged with three counts of simple assault for allegedly brandishing a firearm in Harrisburg, Pa., according to the Detroit Free Press.

Previously, Berry was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence charges on June 23. Berry agreed to enter a diversionary program for first-time offenders last week.

Here are the details from that report: "Obviously, I'm limited in what I can provide because it's a pending investigation," a person answering the phone at the Harrisburg Police Dept. and identifying himself as Cpl. Gautsch said; a Cpl. Kyle Gautsch works for the department. "It looks like he was charged with three counts of simple assault and there was a firearm involved. Any other information would have to be disclosed by our press-release guy."

Gautsch said Berry was taken into custody around 2:30 a.m. Saturday and is "no longer at our holding facility." He declined to say if the firearm was registered.

The Lions released this official statement in response to Berry's arrest: "We are extremely disappointed by the reports involving Aaron Berry. We are currently gathering more information and will have further comment when appropriate."

con't...

more: http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _arre.html
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:08 pm

This just can't be happening. :*) Just how dumb can one get? I really think this justifies a team suspension. Schartz, nay, Mayhew needs to send a strong message. "Imbecilic behavior will not be tolerated" Not to go off on a tangent, but I think the league needs to give the responsibility for doling out punishment to the teams, and have teams punished by Goodell. They have to find a way to put the genie back in the bottle somewhat, and maybe stripping him of some power would help curb his abuse of said power.
Jumping off of soapbox, I don't know what bothers me more about the Lions own Fun Bunch. One, is Matt Millen smiling somewhere thinking of how poor a judge of character Mayhew has shown? %-6 Two, is the team modeling itself after Tom Lewand? :-b
Or, three, has Goodell somehow lost control of this league? I know that sounds increduluos, but is there another league that has a higher incidence of conduct issues? Is this a response to the heavyhanded, publicity seeking justice Goodell seems to favor? Is the Kommandant too concerned with his vigilante justice with the Saints over a trumped up bounty-gate that players are issuing a big Bleep U? I dunno.
What I do know is that if Goodell ever gets his head out of the Big Easy, suspensions could start flying out like angry bees out of a fallen hive. Heck, we not have enough players to field a team lol.
Drinking, driving, and flashing firearms around.
Well, at least the Fun Bunch isn't going around offering $100 for the first person to take out the QB. Now that would really be a crime. :-b

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 am

Berry cut ;-D There was no other option for the team to show it is fed up.
Jacoby Ellsbury - Official Red Sox prospect of the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
bigken117
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeBaseball Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:02 pm

bigken117 wrote:Berry cut ;-D There was no other option for the team to show it is fed up.

Good to see the Lions taking a stand! ;-D ;-D

More: http://www.freep.com/article/20120723/S ... rry-arrest
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Wow, a little surprised the Lions cut him. And glad they did, sounds like this guy is imbalanced ( not unlike most people who would fly head first into someone in armor for a living)
Good for the Lions. Not that he was going to be a difference maker, but our weak secondary just got weaker.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 pm

Lions coach Jim Schwartz: Releasing Aaron Berry 'a very easy decision from a team standpoint'
11:48 AM, July 26, 2012
By Dave Birkett

Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz called the decision to release cornerback Aaron Berry following his second off-season arrest “easy” but said the move did not necessarily set a precedent for future incidents.

“Every situation is different,” Schwartz said today. “Everyone knew the stakes when we left, based on what happened with the team in the spring. Every situation is different, and we’ll take every one as it comes up. But that one, while it was a very difficult decision from a football standpoint, it was a very easy decision from a team standpoint. We wish him the best. Hopefully he can put some of those bad decisions to rest; it just won’t be with us.”

Berry was arrested twice in the span of a month after the Lions finished their off-season program and parted ways for the summer. He was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and other charges on June 23, and last weekend he was booked on three counts of simple assault after pointing a gun at a group of people.

Those incidents were part of a rash of troubles for the Lions this off-season. Running back Mikel Leshoure was cited twice for marijuana possession, Nick Fairley was arrested on separate DUI and marijuana charges, and Johnny Culbreath was arrested for possession of marijuana.

Fairley and Leshoure are still with the team, while Culbreath was released this week.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20120726/S ... roit-lions
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:34 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Lions coach Jim Schwartz: Releasing Aaron Berry 'a very easy decision from a team standpoint'
11:48 AM, July 26, 2012
By Dave Birkett

Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz called the decision to release cornerback Aaron Berry following his second off-season arrest “easy” but said the move did not necessarily set a precedent for future incidents.

“Every situation is different,” Schwartz said today. “Everyone knew the stakes when we left, based on what happened with the team in the spring. Every situation is different, and we’ll take every one as it comes up. But that one, while it was a very difficult decision from a football standpoint, it was a very easy decision from a team standpoint. We wish him the best. Hopefully he can put some of those bad decisions to rest; it just won’t be with us.”

Berry was arrested twice in the span of a month after the Lions finished their off-season program and parted ways for the summer. He was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and other charges on June 23, and last weekend he was booked on three counts of simple assault after pointing a gun at a group of people.

Those incidents were part of a rash of troubles for the Lions this off-season. Running back Mikel Leshoure was cited twice for marijuana possession, Nick Fairley was arrested on separate DUI and marijuana charges, and Johnny Culbreath was arrested for possession of marijuana.

Fairley and Leshoure are still with the team, while Culbreath was released this week.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20120726/S ... roit-lions

They kind of take the fun out of digging for the hipocracy. Berry hurts, no doubt, but he forced the issue and did it after the Lions were already being laughed at in media circles. Of course the guys getting paid (re: hopfully much more talented) never came close to even team suspensions. Hate to say this but I am going over to the dark side. Losing faith in the Schwartz. He just seems like too much of a goof ball.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions