Weird IDP Scoring - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Weird IDP Scoring

Moderator: Football Moderators

Weird IDP Scoring

Postby K0wned » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Found a free dyansty league with IDP, and I thought it would be fun to try as I have never done it before. I consider myself a fairly good offensive FF player, but I have no idea what I am doing with defensive players. Will probably just follow some sites rankings. Pretty much a standard offensive scoring, but the defensive scoring seems very high. Never done a IDP league before, and this is just for fun so I don't care, but just want to know when would be the right time to start drafting specific defensive positions. I feel like elite LBs will go really early based on the high amount tackles get. Let me know how I should draft this.

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 QB/RB/WR, 2 TE, 4 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 1 TM, 2 DB, 2 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB/DL/LB

I have to start plenty of IDP players, and I need help from people who have played in IDP leagues and know what they are doing.

When should the stud ILBs start going off the board?
Any players I should know about that wrack up a lot of tackles at a position other than LB?
I feel like Defensive players will go very early, as good ILBs should be scoring near as much as good QBs.
How should I draft this? Should I still go after 2 solid RBs 1st 2 rounds because of no depth at the postition?
Should I wait and get two average QBs while having an extra strong defensive squad?
Should I be starting 6 LBs every week?
What defensive position after LB is most important with the heavy tackle numbers?

Thanks for any help you could potentially offer me, as I am a lost puppy.
Last edited by K0wned on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K0wned
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Weird IDP Scoring

Postby Jason497 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Perennial stud ILBs that get a shit-ton of tackles like Patrick Willis should go pretty early (4th-5th round?...maybe earlier??)

They are going to end up scoring as much as Quarterbacks in this system.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 42)

Postby Those About To Rock » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:31 pm

So wait, you'd rather see them make a tackle than force a fumble? I don't do IDP, but that seems odd to me.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby K0wned » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Those About To Rock wrote:So wait, you'd rather see them make a tackle than force a fumble? I don't do IDP, but that seems odd to me.

Yeah, it's a weird system. I assume it is just a way for the commish to get an advantage with most people not realizing how valuable the stud ILBs will be.

Jason497 wrote:Perennial stud ILBs that get a shit-ton of tackles like Patrick Willis should go pretty early (4th-5th round?...maybe earlier??)

They are going to end up scoring as much as Quarterbacks in this system.

Exactly, but is it worth it to take them earlier? I start 3 LBs and 3 DB/DL/LBs, so up to 6 LBs. Getting studs ILBs seems to be super important, so how early do I start taking them? Do I just wait until someone else grabs the first one and then go after them from there?
K0wned
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jason497 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:20 am

So you could potentially just start 6 LBs and that's it at IDP? I'd probably look for a few guys you are guarenteed stud production from early on, then on the backend of the draft fillup with under the radar guys like Colin Mccarthy, Demeco Ryans, David Hawthorne, ect...

If your league is pretty savy this might not work though so I'd just "let the draft come to me" in this case, but I know when I do normal IDP leagues plenty of gems fall through the cracks and I draft them late with solid production, but with this scoring there's probably no way of knowing how things will go.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby K0wned » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 am

Jason497 wrote:So you could potentially just start 6 LBs and that's it at IDP? I'd probably look for a few guys you are guarenteed stud production from early on, then on the backend of the draft fillup with under the radar guys like Colin Mccarthy, Demeco Ryans, David Hawthorne, ect...

If your league is pretty savy this might not work though so I'd just "let the draft come to me" in this case, but I know when I do normal IDP leagues plenty of gems fall through the cracks and I draft them late with solid production, but with this scoring there's probably no way of knowing how things will go.

2 DB, 2 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB/DL/LB, if other owners aren't savy and when would be a good time for me to start grabing stud ILBs? Do I wait until someone else grabs one or should I be going after them earlier then other owners? Also what other defensive position racks up a lot of tackles?
K0wned
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jason497 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:51 am

K0wned wrote:
Jason497 wrote:So you could potentially just start 6 LBs and that's it at IDP? I'd probably look for a few guys you are guarenteed stud production from early on, then on the backend of the draft fillup with under the radar guys like Colin Mccarthy, Demeco Ryans, David Hawthorne, ect...

2 DB, 2 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB/DL/LB, if other owners aren't savy and when would be a good time for me to start grabing stud ILBs? Do I wait until someone else grabs one or should I be going after them earlier then other owners? Also what other defensive position racks up a lot of tackles?

Strong Safety typically, I wouldn't even bother looking at cornerbacks much at all in this system. Jason Mccourty had a lot of tackles last year but that's rare. Terrell Thomas was a CB with a lot of tackles too before he tore his ACL last year, he'll be back for the G-Men and you'll probably be able to take a flier on him really late.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby K0wned » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 am

Are DTs more valueable than DEs in this format?
K0wned
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jason497 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:07 am

K0wned wrote:Are DTs more valueable than DEs in this format?

Just looking at the stats from last year they are about even in the tackle department. DEs still get more sacks so they'll still score a little better but the gap is a lot closer and the elite DTs should be drafted over mediocre DEs in this system.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby K0wned » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks for all your help man, is it worth it to take elite ILBs as early as like the 3rd round, or when would you start targeting them? 4th-5th? It is important to get a few stud ILBs I assume, but could you give me some guys who you like as breakout candidates? You listed a few sleepers above, but anymore guys I can target would help. Love you :-b
K0wned
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions