Who to keep? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Who to keep?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who to keep?

Postby trevorc13 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Standard PPR leage (1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX te/wr/rb):

Three keepers. I've decided on two; L. McCoy and W. McGahee (McGahee because all other RB's are taken, and I want to use three solid RB's per week). I have the first pick and I will be picking T. Richardson.

My question is the third keeper...Julio Jones, AJ Green, or Peyton Manning? Manning is an option to throw back because I have calculated that I can still get Big Ben, Philip Rivers, or RGIII in later rounds.

Thanks.
trevorc13
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who to keep?

Postby Jason497 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Especially since it is PPR, I'd urge you to reconsider Mcgahee over AJ Green or Julio Jones. Of the two (and Peyton) I like AJ Green best though.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby murphysxm » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:12 pm

I won't urge you, I will tell you that it would be crazy to keep McGahee over either Green or Jones. Seriously, don't do it!
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby trevorc13 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Well if I don't keep McGahee, I will only have Richardson and McCoy at RB with no good bye week fill in. I'm also guessing that all other RB's will be gone by the 5th round other than Jahvid Best or Mark Ingram. McGahee should put up better numbers than them, plus he was a top 15 RB last year. I feel he's pretty underrated, although not an elite RB by any means. I also want a solid RB in my flex spot because they are the most reliable week to week, so I feel that McGahee will be a good RB3.

I guess I'm wondering if the WR's listed (Jones and Green) are a better value than Manning going into this season?
trevorc13
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Jason497 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 pm

My thing is I think Julio and Green end up scoring a lot more points on a week to week basis than Mcgahee and with only 3 keepers you'll be surprised how many RBs end up back in the pool. If it was non-PPR I could understand but I'd just try to get the most talent on your team and go from there.

Also I wouldn't worry about bye weeks in July. Those things have a way of working themselves out and everyone has to deal with them, don't weaken your team for 14 weeks so you can do a little better for the other 2. Afterall Richardson's bye isn't until week 10, you could easily have claimed this year's Demarco Murray or something off waivers by then and be sitting pretty.

You could always trade for another back later on.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Those About To Rock » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:48 pm

AJ Green and McCoy are leagues better than anyone else you've mentioned. McGahee and Jones are evenish in my mind, but with TRich being first pick, I'd probably keep Jones.
Those About To Rock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BurritoBoy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:43 am

Another vote here for throwing back McGahee. McCoy and Green should be kept for sure, and you'll be drafting TRich. You should keep Jones and toss back McGahee. You'd have 2 young stud RBs, and 2 young stud WRs. RBs are constantly emerging in this league, and you will be able to draft someone of McGahee's level.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby TruNinerFan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:02 am

Keep McCoy, AJ and Julio. You can't worry about bye weeks and depth right now. You keep your best players and worry about depth while drafting. McCoy, Richardson, AJ and Julio is a great start in a keeper league. Mcgahee is middle round selection at this point, Julio and AJ are 2nd/ early third round picks. You can probably get Mcgahee back in your draft if you really want him.

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby dagnuk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Desire to start 3 RB's can't sway you when it's still July. You have to set yourself up for the best-possible team-building scenario, and throwing AJ Green or Julio Jones away for McGahee is not in your better interests. McCoy and Richardson should be fine as starting RBs, and you could still have the opportunity of landing a better-than-you-think WR in the 2nd round, and even lower-tiered RB starters in the 2nd round, if you must: along the lines of Donald Brown or James Starks (if not even better available).

But unless the scoring is heavily favoring running backs, I urge you to fall out of love with the RB position, and consider the talent you've already assembled: Julio Jones and AJ Green. These are 2 rookie WRs that you put up with last season (Green actually had a really good rookie season), and now that they are ready to pay off, you're dumping one (Julio)for a past-his-prime McGahee... Keep it simple, look at re-draft sheets to gauge value, and although there are no guarantees, Julio and Green are projected to take big steps forward.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby K0wned » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Keeping McGahee would be foolish. McCoy, Green, and Julio for surreeee.
K0wned
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions