Keeper/Draftpick trade help! WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Keeper/Draftpick trade help! WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper/Draftpick trade help! WHIR

Postby The Jesus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

The good news here is that I won last year's championship in my league. Unfortunately now I'm faced with the 16th pick out of 16 as we draft according to the previous year's standings. As you can see, I have four legitimate options for keepers going into this season, yet we're allowed only three. I'm most definitely keeping Drew Brees and Calvin Johnson as those two are no-brainers. This brings me to my first question: Between Wes Welker and Victor Cruz, who should I keep? Word is, Cruz won't duplicate last year's numbers with a healthy Nicks, and Welker's numbers may take a hit with Brandon Lloyd coming to town. I'm leaning towards Welker who will be playing for a contract, that and I play in a PPR league. Am I right to keep Welker over Cruz, or would I be better served going with the youthful breakout Cruz?

Lastly, as you can see, I need some RB help. Most RBs are being kept and so what I have currently from last season is about as good as it gets. SO, I'm desperately trying to pull off a draftpick trade in order to get me a high first round (technically 4th after keeper rounds) pick to land me Trent Richardson. Out of Cruz or Welker, who would help me get there? This second piece may obviously effect my keeper choices.

I'm in an IDP league and have left out those names because no one ever keeps a defensive player aside from maybe a stud LB like Willis anyway.

Thanks for having a look guys!

Here is my roster:
Standard Scoring, 16 team IDP/PPR Keeper League.

Start: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K

QB: Drew Brees
RB: Felix Jones
RB: Reggie Bush
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Wes Welker
WR: Victor Cruz
TE: Scott Chandler
K: Rian Lindell

Bench: Damian Williams WR, Kevin Smith RB
The Jesus
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper/Draftpick trade help! WHIR

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:20 pm

I think Welker gives you the best chance to win this year, and that the youth advantage is negligible in a 3-keeper league.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby northernpackfan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:19 am

I think Welker is the better keeper. He has way more rapport with Brady than any of the other receivers, and assuming he plays under the tag, will have a huge carrot to play for. As for who is the better keeper to trade up for a better 1st round pick, I don't think Welker or Cruz is really going to get it done (you'll need to move way up in order to get Richardson), but it depends on how knowledgeable the other GMs are.
northernpackfan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Jason497 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:17 am

thriftyrocker wrote:I think Welker gives you the best chance to win this year, and that the youth advantage is negligible in a 3-keeper league.

This. I think to get up into probably 1.1 to get Richardson you might have to part with Brees or Calvin Johnson, or if you offer Welker or Cruz you might have to get creative with another draft pick thrown in.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 am

Jason497 wrote:
thriftyrocker wrote:I think Welker gives you the best chance to win this year, and that the youth advantage is negligible in a 3-keeper league.

This. I think to get up into probably 1.1 to get Richardson you might have to part with Brees or Calvin Johnson, or if you offer Welker or Cruz you might have to get creative with another draft pick thrown in.
Agree.
If you post the teams roster or keepers for the team with the 1.1 pick, maybe we can suggest a trade?

Help me in return? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=513810
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BurritoBoy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:25 am

I'd go with Welker over Cruz. Welker's got the track record, and he is a PPR stud. Safer choice.

Thoughts?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=513616
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions