INSANE draft thought - TE an option for the flex position... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

INSANE draft thought - TE an option for the flex position...

Moderator: Football Moderators

INSANE draft thought - TE an option for the flex position...

Postby Sex Panther » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:12 pm

So I play in a couple leagues where you can start RB/WR/TE at the flex spot - upto 3 RB, 3 WR, or 2 TE.

All the leagues I play in are PPR.

In 1 of these leagues, I know where I'm drafting (and all are redrafts) - 12th of 12.

How insane would it be to go Graham and Gronk at the turn?

Just to illustrate this point, and not expecting history to repeat itself, last year in this particular league Gronk was the 4th highest scoring player eligible for flex consideration (9th overall), Graham was the 10th highest scoring (16th overall).

Gronk (341.9 total points) was only outscored by Rice, Megatron, and Welker (non-QB)

Graham (300.00 total points) was only outscored ny the aforementioned 4 + McCoy, Foster, Cruz, MJD, and Jordy "F'n" Nelson (non-QB)

While I don't want to chase last year's numbers, I think both guys will continue to be integral pieces to their juggernaught offenses.

Where I'm drafting, both are as about can't miss as possible in a year clouded by a whole lot of questions at RB and very deep at QB and WR.

IMO, the true "Elites" at RB, WR, and QB will probably be off the board - Foster/Rice/McCoy @ RB, Rodgers/Brady/Brees @ QB, Megatron @ WR.

I would assume MJD, CJ2K, Mathews are gone, same with Fitzgerald.

Richardson or McFadden (or both could be there) - but both come with question marks.

Both guys (Graham & Gronk) should function as "WR1's".

Would I be absolutely crazy (or have the balls) to do this on draft day?
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: INSANE draft thought - TE an option for the flex positio

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Considering the depth of the WR class this year it actually sounds like a decent idea. Your RBs are gonna struggle a bit but that's gonna be the case with almost every fantasy team this year. Plus there's a somewhat decent chance that someone like Bradshaw will fall to you at the end of the third and you can always pick up a Jonathan Stewart/Helu/Starks kind of guy that can hopefully put up some sort of respectable numbers at your RB2 spot.

Edit: and you taking those two early could cause other owners to reach a bit for their TE and cause other players to fall.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 pm

I don't think it is crazy, but I would prefer if your 11 predictions are off the board to atleast get 1 rb to go with a TE at the turn. I'd rather leave the turn with McFadden or MJD and Graham at the turn.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:34 pm

I love that strategy, you get #1 production from TEs, some of your leaguemates will feel the pinch and take TEs in rnd 2-3 allowing some WR/RB talent to slide to you at the end of rnd 3. A lot depends on who falls in the first. If a QB or two go, you may have a pretty hard time taking the twin towers over a stud RB or WR. But you know your leagues well, I'd bet, and should know their tendancies. Please feel free to post results here so we can see how it worked out for you.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Wood Chipper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:24 am

Eh.... I would go with Graham and a RB or WR but idk about 2 TE's. Though it could work out beautifully.
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Mizou » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:35 am

Looking at some quick rankings, when your next turn comes around (36 and 37), that puts you in the area of Jordy Nelson, Dez Bryant, Dwayne Bowe, Harvin; Sproles, Turner, Bradshaw.

I don't think it would be too ugly to take the Two Towers (liking this nickname for them), then come out with something like Nelson/Bradshaw at the next turn, and pick up a Romo type on your next swing.

As others have mentioned, someone might get desperate and pick up Gates, Witten, or Finley during the next rounds after you grab your two. This would cause somebody else to fall to you, which would be even better.

I think the real value at your 3/4 picks is at WR.. but then it gets really ugly at RB for you if you wait. You're basically counting on BJGE and Beanie Wells at RB after that.

I'd love to see this done. The RB crop after the first 4-6 is really ugly.. with your best bets being guys like Steven Jackson, formerly Lynch, Forte, Murray, and Charles... guys who are coming off of injuries, or have complicated backfield problems (and Jackson... who is just old).

Looking further down the line (and I know using rankings and such to predict this far in a draft is shaky at best), you're in the neighborhood of McGahee and Maclin as top guys. Heck, I'd grab both of them at that value. Gives you Nelson/Maclin at WR, Bradshaw/McGahee at RB, and Gronk/Graham at Flexes.. with scrub #5 at QB, unfortunately. I think the point potential of your pass catchers, with stability type guys at RB, would overcome having to start someone like Dalton at QB.

Keep in mind I took Gronk in the 2nd round in one of my drafts... but I like this idea.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Wood Chipper » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:31 am

Jackson isn't old, He is just a well worn tire.
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby benb18a » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 am

I just came back here, and this is crazy, but draft Gronk and Graham, championship maybe?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Wood Chipper » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:13 am

benb18a wrote:I just came back here, and this is crazy, but draft Gronk and Graham, championship maybe?

Unlikely lol
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Mizou » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Bumpingish an old thread.

I just pulled 12 out of 12 for a draft happening next weekend. Seriously considering trying this method, both as a test to see if it'll work, and half for laughs.

Standard scoring (4pt pass TD), non-PPR. 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1W/R/T flex.

Of course, this is all out the window if somebody takes Graham in the late 1st, which I have a sneaking suspicion will happen.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk