Most favorable Draft position, WHIR 100% - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Most favorable Draft position, WHIR 100%

Moderator: Football Moderators

Most favorable Draft position, WHIR 100%

Postby saemick » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Figured it was about time to start thinking about draft orders. In my league I pulled the 1st pick; which means I can choose my draft spot. This is a 12-team (QB's = 6pts passing), sort of hybrid-keeper league. rules below:

- can only keep players drafted after 5th round
- players kept take the draft round prior to where they were drafted the previous year
- If a player is kept for a 2nd year, he would be your 1st round draft pick.

with that out of the way, most of the "Early" picks will still be there; the only ones really off the board would likely be:

AJ Green
DeMarco Murray
Julio Jones
Cam Newton

I plan to keep 3 of the 4 following players (draft round lost in parentheses)

Eli (6)
AJ Green (7)
Aaron Hernandez (13)
Demaryius Thomas (18)
Mikel Leshoure (18)

That being said, what draft position would you prefer & why?

Sorry for the long post, but I promise to reply to all replies.
Last edited by saemick on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Most favorable Draft position, WHIR 100%

Postby Jason497 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm

If Arian Foster, Ray Rice, and Lesean Mccoy are all in the pool I'd take #3 so I'd end up with whichever one was left.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 42)

Postby BurritoBoy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Is it a snake draft or standard? If its snaking I'd lean towards the third pick so you get one of those top guys.
If it's a standard draft and you pick once every 12 slots, then there is no reason not to take the first overall pick
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby saemick » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Snake draft.

Also, b/c ALL TD's are worth 6pts and knowing my league-mates; Aaron Rodgers will definitely be a top 3 pick as well.

That being said; would the 3rd pick still be the best or maybe even 4th?
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:36 am

I agree with top 3, although prob nothing wrong with #4 if Rodgers is sure to go (even with 6 pt TD's I'm still one of those oldtimers who rarely grabs a QB in the 1st). Really would want one of the top 3 RB's.

Some will disagree but I like Green, Thomas and Leshoure as your keepers - Leshoure is the biggest risk, but still great value as an 18th rounder.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby grooner10 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:41 am

I think going #3 is the best option. Goin 4 puts u at risk incase everyone takes a rb, also when do you have to decide when to draft? Because if rice holds out for a long time I might consiser the number 2 spot.

Also I think your keepers should be green, Hernandez, an Thomas. You could probably get leshoure agin with a very late pick
grooner10
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BurritoBoy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:16 am

I can definitely see with Rice's holdout, if his other league-mates are keen on the holdout RB theory, that the draft could go Foster/McCoy/Rodgers and he could be "stuck" with Rice. Rice isn't a bad choice, but if this holdout is serious, I'm not sure I'd want him with my top choice.
It basically comes down to what you want. If you want an elite, top scoring RB then you just might have to go with the second pick. If you want that top level QB then you could go with Rodgers, take the 4th or so pick, and try to pick up the RB elsewhere. The worst part of having a top 3 pick in a snake draft is that you have to wait so long for your next pick. Dropping back a bit if you are targeting a QB could allow you to be in the middle of the draft and be able not to have to wait so long on all your picks.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=513616
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby saemick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:10 am

Thanks for the input thus far. I hadn't really considered Rice's holdout all that much to be honest. Anyway, draft isn't till late August, but the draft order needs to be set within the next week unfortunately.

As for how I draft; I am also an "old-timer" who will always go elite RB over just about any other position, so I'd really like to get one in rd. 1.

For my keepers; Green is a lock, and I'm pretty sure Thomas is too. So basically I need to pick 1 of the remaining 3...
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BurritoBoy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:12 am

With a player of Rice's talents, it may not effect him very much at all. But look at CJ and even though he saved face and ended up with 1000 yards rushing, his first half of the season last year showed that players who holdout get off to a much slower start, which is immensely frustrating. Unless the guy picking first/second is a huge Packer fan, McCoy and Foster should go 1-2, so by taking 3, you would (most likely) happen into Rice.

As for keepers, you obviously must keep Green and I would also go with D Thomas in the 18th. Last keeper I would pick Hernandez. As you saw with my post (thanks for the input) I'm planning on keeping Hernandez. I think he will be top 5 TE, the Pats had him lining up at HB and WR, just all over the place. He will go earlier than 13, that's a great value. I'm not too high on Mikel, I think you can easily get a much more reliable RB than him.

One more thing, how do I make my little minilink blue like you did?
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:50 am

I'd go with #3 for the reasons above.

My three keepers would Green, Hernandez and Leshoure. I will always take a RB over WR when we are talking late round flier
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions