Deadbeat Fantasy Owners - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Deadbeat Fantasy Owners

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deadbeat Fantasy Owners

Postby The Danchise » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 am

Other commishes: how do you guys handle league fees, especially in terms of compelling people to pay? I am the commissioner of my league, which is just 10 friends, but it is shockingly hard to get people to pony up the league fees.

Last season, I told people beforehand that all fees needed to be paid by the trade deadline. Anyone who hadn't paid by that time would have their matchups irrevocably forfeited until they settled up. This worked for the most part, except for the 1 guy who paid a week late (and therefore suffered a forfeit), the 1 guy who never paid (and forfeited the rest of the year) and the guy in 1st place who called me in a frenzy the night before the due date saying, "Please don't forfeit me!"

What other solutions do you guys have? I want people to have fun and not be stressed about paying up, but I also want winners to get paid without shelling out of my own pocket.
The Danchise
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Deadbeat Fantasy Owners

Postby Johnny Blood » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Make the deadline 3-5 weeks before the draft. If they don't pay, you send invitations to new people. Those who pay, draft, those who don't, don't. Don't even generate the draft order until everyone pays.

The stress is all caused by letting them draft without paying.
Johnny Blood
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 2)

Postby NIGHTSHADE » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Call everyone one month before the draft and tell them all funds are to be in before or AT the draftday or they can't play period.
If they can't pay , they shouldnt even sniff your league and honestly you'd be better off... All transaction funds are also given in advance and banked by you. You NEVER....I repeat.... NEVER have to collect money after the draft. Haven't had one problem when I instituted this about ten years ago.,...Only lost two people who tried to "test" my rule and they lost...but the rest of us won in the long run.

Commish Alan
NIGHTSHADE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Agree with the above - no pay, no draft! It's so annoying - it seems in every league there's always one guy who thinks he should be the exception to the rule and that they shouldn't be enforced in his case. Just tell everyone at the start, there will be no exceptions!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Return to Commissioner's Corner