Keeper league rules Insight please - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper league rules Insight please

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper league rules Insight please

Postby Icemanzdoinwork » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:23 am

Not really the commish, but thought this might be the best place to receive feedback.

This is the 5th year of our league and we are changing to a keeper league. We're competitive and I'd say 75% of us do our homework.

Format
3 players
You can't keep 1st or 2nd round picks
Kept players cost you -2 rounds (if you pick your 5th round pick from last year. You lose your 3rd round pick this year)
Waivers follow the same -2 rule.

I just don't like these settings at all and I don't see the point outside of Waiver wire gold or late round gold. Would anyone play in something like this? From just comparing our draft last year and this years projections. No players in rounds 3-9 last year are worth giving up that kind of value. Too me, it would just seem like dumping your worthless players late in the season and stocking up on potential breakouts for the end of the year. Players you won't really lose any value from during the 13-15th rounds. Something where x might go down, player Y gets a shot and puts up numbers, and then gets a contract next year and is a rb1/wr1 for another team.

Thanks in advanced, whir any topics just link.
Icemanzdoinwork
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper league rules Insight please

Postby yualreadyknow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Icemanzdoinwork wrote:This is the 5th year of our league and we are changing to a keeper league. We're competitive and I'd say 75% of us do our homework.

Format
3 players
You can't keep 1st or 2nd round picks
Kept players cost you -2 rounds (if you pick your 5th round pick from last year. You lose your 3rd round pick this year)
Waivers follow the same -2 rule.

I just don't like these settings at all and I don't see the point outside of Waiver wire gold or late round gold. Would anyone play in something like this? From just comparing our draft last year and this years projections. No players in rounds 3-9 last year are worth giving up that kind of value. Too me, it would just seem like dumping your worthless players late in the season and stocking up on potential breakouts for the end of the year. Players you won't really lose any value from during the 13-15th rounds. Something where x might go down, player Y gets a shot and puts up numbers, and then gets a contract next year and is a rb1/wr1 for another team.

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. I wouldn't be a happy camper. Draft picks in their purest form are designed to help you build a stronger team for years to come. Kills the whole idea if the picks are 1 yr only. I personally wouldn't play in anything like this. For me, fantasy is fun and my personal pastime away from the busyness of life. If it is really complicated and difficult to manage, it would defeat the whole purpose for me.
< Don't ask. Yu Already Know >
yualreadyknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 am

most keeper leagues require some sort of correction for next year. -2 years is standard. you dont want someone to be able to keep michael vick in the last round forever.

and there shoudl be plenty of mid round guys who now are drafted more than 2 rounds earlier this year. gronk and jimmy graham are two that come to mind. if i drafted gronk in rd 10 last year, you darn skippy im keeping him in rd 8 this year.

WRs especially always make huge leaps from year to year
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dupree » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Very similar to what we do (2 keepers, rounds 4+ only, cost is -2 spots). It works quite well.

I think you are way to bearish on the late round picks (especially for a 10 team league)....

Arian Foster was drafted in round 7 couple of years ago, the guy kept him last year for a 5th round pick and this year for a 3rd round pick. Jimmy Graham cost another guy a 4th round pick this year (bastard).

I got Aaron rodgers in the 8th round his first year starting, kept him at 6 and 4 loved it. Ray Rice I had for 3 years (7th round 5th round 3rd round), but not this year...as I paid a 3rd round pick last year...

Last year I took Cam in the 12th, keeping him in the 10th just this afternoon (Sweet!). Picked up Demarco Murray mid-season cost me a 16th round pick this year...

If you really think you can drop your roster and pull next years breakout players from FA you are deluding yourself.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Hags888 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 pm

In the keeper league I'm in, everyone gets up to 2 keepers. And you lose your 1st and 2nd round picks for the following draft to keep them. So, if you don't have any players worth a 1st or 2nd round pick, then you don't have to keep anyone and can simply redraft. Or, you could keep only 1 player and redraft from there. I don't know why the round you initially drafted a player in even matters at all.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 7)

Return to Commissioner's Corner