How's Your Draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2012 Cafe Mock Auction

How's Your Draft?

Moderators: joejlitz, Football Moderators

Re: How's Your Draft?

Postby Chaoyi Shih » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:14 am

Perfectibilist wrote:I came in with my usual auction strategy, which is to have one "stud" at each position, and fill in the rest with solid, but not extraordinary players. With that said, I think I definitely over payed for Stafford, especially with his injury history but Luck for $5 is a nice safety blanket I think. But Staff for more than Cam, Brady, Brees, Vick, etc. is bad value.

I am also a bit uneasy having ADP as my #1 back, but was very happy to get CJS near the end. I am very happy with Cruz as my #1 WR, especially since I got him for $24. Graham for $36 was a bit expensive, but I wanted one of the top 2, and actually like him a little better than Gronk considering the number of weapons in NE.

I would say, without a doubt, my biggest mistake was all of my mistakes with money/roster issues. $2 in penalties sounds insignificant, but I'd much rather have $11 dollars for two spots than $9...

Values of note:
Eli $17
Cutler $4
Flacco $1
A Brown $9
Torrey $8
R Moss $3
Celek $4

Over pays of note:
Foster $59
Stafford $40
All Ks >$1

i believe Antonio Brown went for 12 instead of 9 :-)
Chaoyi Shih
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 224)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Perfectibilist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:27 am

Indeed, I was looking at the "Players Tooken" thread instead of individual bidding threads.
Thanks to Freyaka for the sig!
Perfectibilist
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dolfan19 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Hmm, I think it went OK. I got a bunch of players I wanted. Was first my auction draft I've done and it was pretty tough (especially when having to bid on players much less valuable than those left in the pool). My strategy was to secure two top RBs due to the shortage of elite bellcow runners. Then I compensated by saving money on QB, going with a QBBC of RGIII and Palmer, which I believe will be a solid enough combo for a competitive team. My WRs are a bit weak, as I'm starting 2 WR3s with WR2 upside. Really messed up at the end by winning Cobb at $2. Needed another player who could contribute and had the extra cash to get one, but I ran out of roster spots... Oops. Also, am not thrilled with the Benson pick for $4. another oops.

Looks like the best teams drafted were Perfectibilist, nicdolas, and TheGreatEmperor's teams. Each got good value with Eli for 17, Antonio Brown for 12, and CJ Spiller for 6.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Indibuck » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Dolfan19 wrote:

Looks like the best teams drafted were Perfectibilist, nicdolas, and TheGreatEmperor's teams. Each got good value with Eli for 17, Antonio Brown for 12, and CJ Spiller for 6.

My team would look pretty good if I gave myself an extra $25 too. :-D

Just busting your chops, Perfect.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby Perfectibilist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Indibuck wrote:
Dolfan19 wrote:

My team would look pretty good if I gave myself an extra $25 too. :-D

Just busting your chops, Perfect.

It was an extra $19 thank you very much. Haha. Even though I think in the end it did me more hard because I wouldn't have wasted time/money on my 3rd WR if I knew I already owned him. Haha. Although I think the Spiller value was a direct result of people spending their money elsewhere thinking he was already bought fairly... So that really was mea culpa...
Thanks to Freyaka for the sig!
Perfectibilist
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrock » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 pm

I am going to be doing an auction draft for some money in the next few weeks. I would appreciate any feedback on the draft I just completed, this is my first time with the auction style. I know I messed up the $4 for Gost. That was just trying to up the other person. Please feel free to rip me apart on tell me where I did well. I don't want to mess up when there is big money on the line. Thanks guys. Had a blast.
eaglesrock
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Devil Doc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:13 pm

For my first actualy auction draft, I think I did ok. I did some research AFTER the draft started, and definitly would have done things a bit different. A bidding war on Newton probably wouldn't have happened, I would have much rather spent that money on another top RB. Until the Bash Brothers (Dez and Kenny) decided they were above the law, I really liked my WR corps. Uh, not so much now. One guy I really wanted was Titus Young, and leaving a $1 on the table, I probably could have had him if I would have bid much smarter. My RB's are probably one of the weakest in the group. Outside of CJ2maybe1K, and James Starks, pretty much question marks. To expect all of them to produce is asking a lot. I think my best pick/bid was Finley. He in probably the top 3 best offenses in the league, and for $18, that could have been much higher. He showed his true potential early in the year of 2011 with 3 TD's against the Bears, had he produced like that all season, he probably would have been closer to the Gronk/Graham range. My worst buy would have to be Newton, spent way too much on a QB early. Again, my thought was a rushing QB can make up for my lack of RBs...doubtful that will actually happen. Best buy, at the time, I thought it was either Britt or Bryant. Both #1 WR's in thier offense and the monster athletic ability to produce some really good numbers. I'd be shocked if Britt gets to play more than 6 games this year.

Overall experience: A+

Would seriously consider getting involved in a Redraft Auction if it ever came up, and had a blast learning how to do this and other strategies.
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 92)

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:54 am

QB Philip Rivers - SD - $28
RB Frank Gore - SF - $24
RB Micheal Turner - ATL - $18
WR Percy Harvin - MIN - $30
WR Greg Jennings - GB - $35
WR Brandon Marshall - CHI - $29
TE Vernon Davis - SF - $18
K Dan Bailey - DAL - $1
D/ST 49ers - $4

TE: Owens Daniels - HOU - $4
WR: Greg Little - CLE - $4
QB: Sam Bradford - STL - $1
QB: Kevin Kolb - ARI - $1
WR: Kendall Wright - TEN - $1
RB: Daniel Thomas - MIA - $1

Was trying to get a starting unit that can win it, backups were basically neglected.
QB: Was happy with Rivers at 28 thought he slotted well between Vick and Romo, wasn't happy to see Ryan at 14, Cutler at 4, Palmer at 2.
RB: Got two guys who I thought would get a lot of touches in there offense, I tend to play a bit more risky at RB so it wasn't my goal. Both guys I was on the losing end of a bidding war a tad pass good value.
WR: Happy with my starters, got two bench guys who I think could be spot starts if needed down the line possibly sooner rather than later.
TE: Happy with Vernon no matter what, but seeing Hernandez go for $2 less wasn't great
Etc: Like my kicker, happy with my D, prefer not to spend that much on a D though. Wasn't my plan.

I wasn't as prepared for a redraft auction as I thought, and was very impressed with most teams.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Previous

Return to 2012 Cafe Mock Auction