Penn State Football/Sports and scumbag Sandusky - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Penn State Football/Sports and scumbag Sandusky

Moderator: Football Moderators

Penn State Football/Sports and scumbag Sandusky

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Right off... I am a class of 79 Nittany Lion and one year player under Joe Pa. During my year I played scout team offense, so I rarely got to meet or know Sandusky.

I did get to know Coach Paterno and saw how he always considered us kids moreso than anything else moreso than us getting why we where there and that is getting our degree. I also saw that when he had proof of gross misbehaviour like that of the pedo sandusky, Coach P acted immediately. I saw this with guys as important as the brothers of both a HOF NFL player and a Heisman trophy PSU winner.

They messed up outside the programs rules but unprosecutable within the law, and they were gone from the team regardless of their brothers. Then again, they got to do restitution and continue in school on scholarship if they wanted since coach Paterno wanted everyone to be and help others too, regardless of their previous mistakes.
Never, in any of these and more cases did Coach think that adding more potentially detrimental press to these people by publicly denouncing them nor adding some type of sub-legal investigation going to be of benefit to anyone involved. I can't help think that he believed he was helping those who sinned to repent and then begin again anew with the stain of their now known public misdeeds.

I was a scout team player nobody, but got caught by Coach Paterno sneaking out of the Pattee Library before my 2 hours of study was up and got my ass kicked during the next practice... not physically, but socially and emotionally as he told the entire team of my lack of devotion to my own self and family and therefore how can my own team depend on me?

I NEVER missed another night studying on floor 2 of Pattee....

So... based on my REAL personal experience of Coach Paterno's ethics and of his loyalism... I can only believe that he did not truly believe that Sandusky was pedo-ing kids... and his sense of long time personal experience and loyalty to Sandusky overcame the report from a discouraged, non-drafted, post grad kid hoping to be a coach if possible which apparently followed rumors of something to the same intent and effect.

I can only put my own feet in what I know of his shoes, and I have to ask all of you if you would do anything at all in his case.... i.e. of someone receiving a delayed report of one of your dear longtime friends having pedo-ed a kid to the police or if you might have just thought it was a dumb one time misunderstanding and talk to him about it and also remove his access on campus, just in case?

If I am not mistaken... this is in the same timeframe where daycare folks went to jail wrongly due to a kids rememberings... and they didn't get out for years and years... remember, this is YOUR longtime friend who you are considering putting in Jail for years and years on someone elses word who didn't consider it serious enough to go themselves to the police.

Anyway.... I bet when the whole story is released, it will be at worst ambiguous with regard to Coach Paterno, and then all of you will feel oh so hypocritic that you didn't rush the White House and prosecute your man who was much worse the probable scumbag.... Clinton... ultimo teen cigar inserter. %-6 %-6
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Penn State Football/Sports and scumbag Sandusky

Postby Indibuck » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 am

FSM,

I understand that you knew Paterno on a personal level. And I agree with you that, at least initially, he didn't believe that Sandusky was doing the vile things that he did.

But it became obvious, through numerous complaints over a short number of years, that something was awry. Yet Paterno continued to give Sandusky unfettered access to the program and was obviously a voice in covering it up through the years... I have read the Freeh report and that makes it very clear.

I believe that Paterno did a ton of great things for a ton of people over a very long period of time. But deep down, Paterno was a football coach that was trying to protect his progam's (and his own personal) image. You don't stay on as a coach for that long just to be a nice guy... you do it because you are COMPETITIVE and you want to win. And so he (and the president and AD) covered it up.

The scandal wasn't $100 handshakes, or a rogue booster. It wasn't tattoos. It was a allowing a child molester to be around the students. And Paterno's reputation will be rightfully tarnished forever.

Anyway.... I bet when the whole story is released, it will be at worst ambiguous with regard to Coach Paterno, and then all of you will feel oh so hypocritic that you didn't rush the White House and prosecute your man who was much worse the probable scumbag.... Clinton... ultimo teen cigar inserter. %-6 %-6

1. I can't possibly see anything that could come out now about Paterno that would sway conventional wisdom anywhere near ambiguity. You were doing okay until you included this last paragraph. But it's time to take off your rose-colored glasses and recognize this for what it is. And it's ugly. I feel sympathy for Penn State alums and fans... this has to have been an incredibly trying period of time, and there's no one to "lash out at" other than your school president. You have to be able to see what everyone else sees.

2. Comparing the Paterno coverup and the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal is like comparing apples to sausages. There is no correlation other than, in both times, there was a coverup.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to College Football