Pick #5 In Rookie Draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Pick #5 In Rookie Draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pick #5 In Rookie Draft?

Postby The_Good_Doctor » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:26 pm

In my dynasty league's rookie draft, I have the 5th pick. I assume the first 4 will be Richardson, RG3, Luck and Martin. I want a RB, so should I take David Wilson at 5? Or trade up to get Martin? I would like production this year.

Someone has already traded up for Richardson, so not an option...
The_Good_Doctor
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pick #5 In Rookie Draft?

Postby 11stever11 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:37 pm

At the 5th spot I do not think you will find a productive player for this year. I would trade the 1.05 for a veteran running back or like you said trade up for Doug Martin. If you can't find a trade I would go with Blackmon.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Jason497 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:51 pm

If you are weak at RB David Wilson is a fine pick at 5 imo. You might not get that much return on investment in year 1 but I think he'll be their starter in 2013, you don't take someone in the 1st round to ride the pine and he's got a lot of talent from everything I've seen. Also gotta take into account Bradshaw's ever deteriorating health.

EDIT: If you need production this year try to trade up for Martin, but like the last poster said I don't think you'll get much production from any of the other rookie RBs this year. Lamichael James could give some PPR value but I think he'll be a middle of the pack guy who sits at the end of your bench because he's just a lot better than what's on waivers but you'd never feel comfortable using as a starter. He'd also be a pretty big reach there. Ronnie Hillman is also a guy who could see some some in Denver but it won't be enough barring injury to Mcgahee, and he'd be a slight reach too.
Last edited by Jason497 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 42)

Postby Indibuck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:57 pm

If you want production this year, you'd better trade up to the 1.02 to ensure you can select Martin.... he is going before Luck/RG3 in many rookie drafts.

If you don't want to/can't afford to trade up, select Wilson. Even as a backup to Bradshaw, he has value this year. And Bradshaw's not the most durable guy... if (when?) Wilson gets a chance this year, and he shines in extended duty, Bradshaw may never get the job back.

His upside on the potent NYG offense is easily worth the 1.05.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby TruNinerFan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:03 pm

I would look to move up. i think Martin is the real deal and he will have an immediate impact. If you can't move up, wilson is the pick at 5

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby Wood Chipper » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:01 pm

I would consider the following rookies for the rookie draft

QB's
1. Ryan Tannehill - Very athletic with the arm to make a big splash, but still raw and will need some time and needs viable receivers, so to rank him this high is all about his upside.
2. Brandon Weeden - Will be 29 in Oct., but best pure pocket passer in the draft and can make all the throws. Looks like he'll be solid if he gets another WR.

RB's
1. David Wilson - Very explosive player and does project as feature type back in 1-2 years so nice option if you can be a little patient.
2. Ronnie Hillman - Hillman is a pretty interesting player who could be an active complement to McGahee right away.

WR's
1. Justin Blackmon – Not a special player but plays with an edge and should be active and good fit here.
2. Michael Floyd – Might be most talented rookie and a good spot for now, yet Fitz will likely limit upside.
3. Brian Quick – They love him and compared him to T.O. so he should get every chance to emerge as go-to guy.
4. A.J. Jenkins – Very nice receiver with big upside down the road but some limitations due to QB and other receivers.
5. Kendall Wright – Could be a really productive guy but lots of other receivers here and Locker needs time so can't expect a ton early.

TE's
1. Coby Fleener – Not a freak talent, but athletic enough to make a big splash, and he obviously clicks with the QB here due to time in college.
2. Ladarius Green (SD, 22) – Very interesting athlete who can learn for a few years behind Gates and then take over as pass-catching TE here.
3. Michael Egnew (Mia, 22) – Could be the athlete they have been looking for, so worth a shot for sure in a dynasty league for down the road.
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby BurritoBoy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:25 am

At 1.05 you won't get anybody that will produce significantly this year. Either trade up for Martin, or put the pick up and trade back, collect more later round picks/veteran RB. If you trade back you could get guys like Hillman, Miller, Pead, Turbin (if you still want RBs) that can help in the future. WRs like Hill, Wright, Quick and Jeffery could be there later as well.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby yualreadyknow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 pm

I hate repeating what others have already said but a 5th pick from the rookie class is always expected to give you, at least, moderate production in the first season and they should probably be a starter this year as well. That might narrow the pool a bit.

I personally like Ladarius Green, TE. It appears that the Bolts are going to work him in early to alleviate too much work for Gates. He won't be big money production by any means but having him warm your bench while your stud TE works is smart. The guy is 6'6 and he is packing on muscle to help with run blocking. If anything, he could be in the vein of a Jimmy Graham and that means end zone threat to me. I'd take a 5th round pick for anytime. Actually, I already did in my dynasty league.

Think Brian Quick. He is big, strong, and pretty fast from what reports say. He has to learn the playbook but Bradford will be trusting him a lot because of the lack of quality at the wideout spot. This guy is the epitome of a sleeper.
< Don't ask. Yu Already Know >
yualreadyknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions