First pick GB, RB or WR? Weird point values - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

First pick GB, RB or WR? Weird point values

Moderator: Football Moderators

First pick GB, RB or WR? Weird point values

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Hey folks,

Alright, so I'm a big fantasy football noob. Played last year, but autodrafted because I just didn't know what I was doing. Ended up in third place in a 12 man league, miraculously.

So here's the deal. The commish of my fantasy league changes pretty much every scoring from the yahoo default. This leaves me not knowing who to draft and when to draft them. It makes it a lot harder on me because idk who's more valuable, etc. based on the scoring. I've been trying to do some research, but I'm still not confident going into my draft with the knowledge that I have vs. the scoring system.

Here's the way the commish set up the league:

Offense League Value
Completions 0.5
Incomplete Passes -0.85
Passing Yards 25 yards per point; 2 points at 200 yards; 3 points at 250 yards; 4 points at 300 yards
Passing Touchdowns 6
Interceptions -2
Sacks -0.25
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point; 1 points at 100 yards; 2 points at 150 yards; 4 points at 200 yards
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Receptions 1
Reception Yards 10 yards per point; 1 points at 75 yards; 2 points at 100 yards; 3 points at 150 yards
Reception Touchdowns 6
Return Yards 25 yards per point
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6
Pick Sixes Thrown -4
40+ Yard Completions 1
40+ Yard Passing Touchdowns 1
40+ Yard Rushing Attempts 1 0
40+ Yard Rushing Touchdowns 1
40+ Yard Receptions 1
40+ Yard Reception Touchdowns 1
Kickers League Value
Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3
Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3
Field Goals 30-39 Yards 4
Field Goals 40-49 Yards 5
Field Goals 50+ Yards 6
Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards -3
Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards -3
Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards -1
Point After Attempt Made 1
Point After Attempt Missed -2
Defense/Special Teams League Value
Sack 1
Interception 2
Fumble Recovery 2
Touchdown 6
Safety 2
Block Kick 4
Return Yards 50 yards per point
Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns 6
Points Allowed 0 points 14
Points Allowed 1-6 points 10
Points Allowed 7-13 points 4
Points Allowed 14-20 points 2
Points Allowed 21-27 points 0
Points Allowed 28-34 points -2
Points Allowed 35+ points -4

So as you can see, the points system is all over the place. Basically my question is, what is the most valuable position/the least valuable, which players should I target, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mayor quimby
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First pick GB, RB or WR? Weird point values

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm

at a quick glance, QB's that are accurate and throw a lot are much more valuable in this scoring format. It also leans WR over RB. Overall, getting a stud QB is the thing that jumps out at me
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Can you give me a few qb's that fit that description?

Thanks for your input
mayor quimby
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Stevooo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Romo, Stafford were all above 63% completion last year. Brees was #1 by over 3% at over 71%.
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby LMack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I would want an elite QB in this league. A quarterback that completes a high number of passes at an accurate rate for high yardage and a couple scores will be posting monster numbers.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:20 am

Qbs are weighted here but only the accurate ones. The system is a disadvantage for the inaccurate ones which means there will be significant separation after the top 5-6 QB's. You are only going to gain 30-35 points over the year based on Aaron Rodgers numbers last year (68% completion) but for the inaccurate ones this can end up being a negative number. You will get a bonus of 4 for 300 yards which the elite come close to every week. Those that dont wont get the bonus.

This league in general is going to really separate the good and the bad of each position.

You still have to think about power of position meaning each roster spot you can have an advantage or disadvantage. So if you do go QB early you will be weaker at the other positions.

Look at the trends of last years draft with these guys. What did they do? Did they grab QB's early, go RB heavy in the first then WR in the second etc? This will give you a better idea of how people are going to react.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Mizou » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:45 am

Agreeing with the others. First thing I thought of when I saw this was "Wow, I want Brees." An above-average guy completes at LEAST 20 passes in a game. That's 10 extra points there. A guy like Brady who can dink/dunk to Welker, RBs, or his TEs all day would be just insane.

Definitely don't choose a gunslinger type QB. While the risk/reward thing pays off in most fantasy formats, as well as real football, that negative for incompletes is killer.

I'd also take the WRs linked to the afore-mentioned quarterbacks. Yes, big-time guys like Megatron and Fitz are givens, but in PPR settings, guys like Welker and Roddy White really shine as well. Look for guys who put up weekly lines like 8/80 yards. A statline like that is worth 16 points, with no TDs or anything. Possession type receivers are worth more in PPR leagues than regular ones.

Pass-catching RBs are at a premium. Ray Rice would probably be my first RB choice. After that.. I'd put more of a premium on top WRs if I couldn't get great RBs in the draft.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions