The rb situation in buffalo - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

The rb situation in buffalo

Moderator: Football Moderators

The rb situation in buffalo

Postby Yabbydoo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:08 pm

I took fred jackson as my rb 2 and cj spiller in the late rounds....is having them both a good idea in a league and should I start spiller at flex during the season while having jackson as a rb 2 at the same time?
Yabbydoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The rb situation in buffalo

Postby LMack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Owning Spiller while having Jackson isn't a bad idea. Fred Jackson is 31 years old after all, and could yield carries to Spiller due to wear and tear or an injury. As far as starting both of them, it really depends on their matchup and your other options. I wouldn't expect too too many games where the Buffalo backfield has multiple scores. When the situation is framed like that, it makes starting both a less attractive option if you have another player on your bench who might find the end zone.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Yabbydoo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:32 pm

ok I thought so because it seems more that buffalo is a passing team and running team.....but I have him just in case even though im thinking of trading them as a pair....The age difference stinks because I have no clue who will start....thanks for you input any suggestion what I do with them? I was thinking a fred jackson trade for steven jackson?
Yabbydoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 14)

Postby LMack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:47 pm

Yabbydoo wrote:ok I thought so because it seems more that buffalo is a passing team and running team.....but I have him just in case even though im thinking of trading them as a pair....The age difference stinks because I have no clue who will start....thanks for you input any suggestion what I do with them? I was thinking a fred jackson trade for steven jackson?

If you could swap Fred Jackson for Steven Jackson that'd be a slight upgrade, but I doubt you will find an owner willing to do a 1 for 1 RB swap at this point in the year. Fred Jackson is older, but also has had a relatively light workload in his career. I wouldn't panic too much about him because you do have his backup in Spiller.

Who else could you play in your flex spot?
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby dagnuk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I'd be happy to have both Fred Jackson and Spiller. In fact, if you're going to draft Jackson early, then having Spiller is the ideal situation.

However, starting both depends on what your options are for the flex spot.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:30 pm

As said, starting both would depend on your options. When Jackson went down, Spiller preformed better than expected, so I think that there will be more of a split in carries than last year when both were healthy. I've read about Chan Gailey using Spiller much like Reggie Bush in his early days, splitting him out as a WR and getting him space on the field. If you were able to trade Fred J for Steven J, that would be a great deal for you.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:12 pm

I can't quite figure out why Jackson never gets the respect I feel he has earned. There is no question that Spiller will steal some carries, but this isn't a RBBC. I see Spiller being similar to Bush and Hillis. Great back ups that will find the field, but clear back ups/change of pace. Let's not forget how dominant Jackson was last year.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Indibuck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:13 pm

murphysxm wrote:I can't quite figure out why Jackson never gets the respect I feel he has earned. There is no question that Spiller will steal some carries, but this isn't a RBBC. I see Spiller being similar to Bush and Hillis. Great back ups that will find the field, but clear back ups/change of pace. Let's not forget how dominant Jackson was last year.

Agree with murphy. FJax is the RB to own; if you can get Spiller for a decent price to handcuff Jackson, do it... but I think Spiller's ADP is too high at this point, because drafters think Spiller can put up low-end RB2 numbers in a timeshare. I say he can't without an injury to Jackson.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby BurritoBoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:19 am

I agree with y'all that Jackson deserves mad respect, he was phenomenal last year before he went down, and took the rest of the team with him it seems. My point is that because Spiller was very good in replacing Freddy, that he's going to be getting more opportunities which could cut into FJ's numbers. I still take him as my RB2 every day, and Spiller I see as more of a flex with upside.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Jason497 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:45 am

Jackson is 31 and there's been a bunch of quotes where Spiller was going to see substantial time this year. Also the deal Jackson signed (3 years $8.4M?) isn't starter money let alone bellcow money. There's going to be a changing of the guard here at some point. Jackson played really well last year but Spiller came in and did a comparable job, and if the guy is capable you don't let the 9th overall pick pre-rookie wage scale rot to death on the bench.

I see a frustating split similar to Carolina's 2 good backs. It's also weird that after all these years of being a mid-tier guy Jackson blew up, just felt flukey to me, like that season Ronnie Brown was the #1 RB in fantasy until he injured his knee. I think it's more likely Jackson's value returns to what it was in 2010 than what it was in 2011.

That being said because RB is so shallow this year he's probably still a mid to low-end RB2 in a 12 team league.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions