Keeper Question: AJ Green or Julio Jones - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Keeper Question: AJ Green or Julio Jones

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper Question: AJ Green or Julio Jones

Postby trevorc13 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Looking to keep one or the other. I have a better feeling about Julio Jones this year over AJ Green because of his situation in Atlanta (better QB, less chance of double team, more talk of passing, and less talk of rushing), although Green is contstantly being drafted ahead of Jones for some reason. I have a feeling that Green will constantly be looked at by defenses based off of his performance last year, and his production will suffer. Seems like I'm missing something about Green. Any thoughts?
trevorc13
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Question: AJ Green or Julio Jones

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 pm

I like Julio better myself. Both are beasts and will be for a while. I think your logic above is sound and the exact way I see it.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Zbetty » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:40 pm

You can't go wrong with either player. They will be top receivers for years. If you feel better about Jolio then thats the way to go.
10 Team PPR predraft
QB- Aaron Rodgers
RB- CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch
WR- Jordy Nelson, Michael Crabtree
TE- Jimmy Graham
LB- James Laurinaitis
DL- Corey Liuget
DB- Harrison Smith
Zbetty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Postby LMack » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:43 pm

trevorc13 wrote:Looking to keep one or the other. I have a better feeling about Julio Jones this year over AJ Green because of his situation in Atlanta (better QB, less chance of double team, more talk of passing, and less talk of rushing), although Green is contstantly being drafted ahead of Jones for some reason. I have a feeling that Green will constantly be looked at by defenses based off of his performance last year, and his production will suffer. Seems like I'm missing something about Green. Any thoughts?

I mean there's a lot to like about Green. Green comes with a bit better pedigree, among other things. As far as raw talent and physical presence, there aren't many receivers in the NFL that compare to Green. However, the Atlanta situation with Julio Jones is more desirable this year, definitely. I want to buy in to the continued development of Andy Dalton and the improvement of the Cinci offense, but that comes with a lot less track record than Matt Ryan and the Falcons.

You can't really go wrong with either. I think the reason Green is being drafted higher than Jones in most formats is because Green's perceived ceiling is higher. Its hard to keep those expectations down while AJ Green continues to get Calvin Johnson comparisons and is the favorite target for his QB. There are probably more yards and TDs available for the Atlanta Falcon receiving corp via Matt Ryan, but there are also more mouths to feed.

Again, I feel like you're splitting hairs at this point. I would prefer Green, but I wouldn't call you crazy to keep Jones.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby trevorc13 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 pm

So assuming that I'll keep AJ Green, and I'll have one of the first picks at WR (minus Calvin Johnson), what would be the best WR combo: AJ Green/Julio Jones, AJ Green/L. Fitzgerald, or AJ Green/???
trevorc13
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dagnuk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:33 pm

I prefer AJ Green. He proved to be NFL ready as a rookie WR, and I wouldn't worry about double teams, because he was already facing them last season. Both he and Julio Jones are solid options, and I wouldn't fight you out of having both on this year's roster.

That said, I'd take the AJ Green/Fitz combination because Fitzgerald has proven that it doesn't matter who else is on the field, he's going to put up numbers. It's hard to argue against his consistency, despite playing in ARZ.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:43 pm

I say Fitz and whoever you keep. Both are great options, I lean more towards Green though, he has more raw talent, his perceived ceiling is higher, and personally, i was able to trade for him real cheap at the beginning of last year in my dyantsy league, and he and Stafford (another cheap trade) carried my team to the finals where I lost to Cruz, Megatron, Rice, Sproles, Rivers, Gates (stacked team). You couldn't go wrong either way. All about how you feel about them. But it seems as though everybody is riding Green's bandwagon, and in that case, you have a better chance of drafting Jones later in the draft than Green.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Stevooo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:58 pm

Keep AJ!
I drink because of the 1998 NFC championship game.

12 team big $$$ non PPR league - QB RB RB WR WR TE D K

QB: Rivers
RB: Murray, Matthews, R.Bush, D. Brown
WR: Julio Jones, Colston, VJax, Garcon
TE: Witten, Gresham
K: Kaeding
DST: SEA
Stevooo
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby TruNinerFan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:05 pm

I think they are both going to be studs. You can really flip a coin. If I had a gun to my head, I would keep Green

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions