Likelihood and feedback of this mock draft/team - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Likelihood and feedback of this mock draft/team

Moderator: Football Moderators

Likelihood and feedback of this mock draft/team

Postby chaguewood » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:16 am

Hello all,

I've done a number of mock drafts on ESPN and think that I have come up with a team that I really want. I know it is nearly impossible to get every player that you want, but I think I've made an effort to be realistic. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this team and how likely I may be to actually get close to this team. My league is a 10 team standard ESPN scoring. We also give .5 point for every return yard in addition to normal scoring (Non PPR, 4 pt per TD thrown, 6pt per TD catch or rush, etc)

Here is my team and the draft pick number I took them at. I tried to draft some people much earlier than their ranking in hopes of having a chance to actually field this team.

Thoughts?

4 McCoy
17 Newton
24 Richardson
37 F. Jackson
44 Colston
57 D. Jackson
64 M. Bush
77 Garcon
84 D. Brown
97 T. Young
104 Tamme
117 Flacco
124 Seahawks
137 M. Williams (really don't think he will actually be there this late but I could also get Brian Quick here)
144 Gostkowski
157 K. Wright

QB: Newton, Flacco
RB: McCoy, Richardson, F. Jackson, M. Bush, D. Brown
WR: Colston, D. Jackson, Garcon, T. Young, Williams or Quick, K. Wright
TE: Tamme
D/ST: Seahawks
K: Gostkowski

Thanks in advance.
chaguewood
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Likelihood and feedback of this mock draft/team

Postby LMack » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 am

In a 10 team league on ESPN you could probably get this. It comes with some caveats though.

1. Someone in the top 3 has to take Rodgers.
2. Your second and third round picks (Newton and T-Rich) both need to fall a little bit past their ESPN ADP and Richardson needs to fall a lot farther than his fantasycalc ADP.
3. Tamme is going a little earlier than 104 in leagues outside of ESPN, so if you really want him you might want to reach a little higher on the actual draft day, just in case.

Also, did I read this correctly? Half a point per return yard? That can't be right. If so, Brandon Banks, Leon Washington, Joe McKnight, Brandon Tate, Josh Cribbs and Randall Cobb all would've outscore Aaron Rodgers last year in this format.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby chaguewood » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:05 pm

LMack wrote:In a 10 team league on ESPN you could probably get this. It comes with some caveats though.

1. Someone in the top 3 has to take Rodgers.
2. Your second and third round picks (Newton and T-Rich) both need to fall a little bit past their ESPN ADP and Richardson needs to fall a lot farther than his fantasycalc ADP.
3. Tamme is going a little earlier than 104 in leagues outside of ESPN, so if you really want him you might want to reach a little higher on the actual draft day, just in case.

Also, did I read this correctly? Half a point per return yard? That can't be right. If so, Brandon Banks, Leon Washington, Joe McKnight, Brandon Tate, Josh Cribbs and Randall Cobb all would've outscore Aaron Rodgers last year in this format.

Lol oh wow. I meant half a point per 25 return yards. Yeah I've noticed t rich is going way earlier in a lot of drafts but for some reason I've been able to get him at 24 almost everytime I've done a mock on ESPN. Tough to say what my other leaguemates are thinling though. and yes I have to hope someone takes rodgers in the top 3 or I have to take him at 4 and hope for three good rbs with my next three picks. Maybe Richardson at 17, dmc or f Jackson at 24 and sproles at 37
chaguewood
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dagnuk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 pm

If you want a different look, then change up where you do your mock drafts, because every website that has mock drafts uses different lists and rankings based on their own "experts" and ADP. And every queued up list subtly affects how drafts unfold. I have never drafted on espn.com, but I've done a lot of standard mocks elsewhere and it's rare for Richardson to fall to the 15-17th overall range, and I've never seen him fall to the 3rd round.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 pm

yeah if it was half a point per return yard, hell Antonio Brown coulda been the highest scoring player with over 1000 return yards. I think you would be able to draft that team. I've seen many people taking Rodgers in the top 3, everybody wants to get a top QB and if you are in the top 4, Rodgers at the beginning is your ONLY chance to really get one. I've done quite a few Mocks on ESPN, and yes Richardson does fall that far because he is ranked at like 35 overall, where in Yahoo I believe he is a top 15 ranked player. If you draft on ESPN and most guys go based of the standard projections, then this team is draftable.

That being said, I am not too big a fan of how you got 3 RBs before any WRs, it caused you to miss out on the top tier of WRs. I think you coulda held out on RBs and still get one later with great upside, and have been able to upgrade at your WRs. One thing I try to do is if I know I'm going to be weak at one place, then I try to completely load up somewhere else (ex, you are weak at WR, so draft a bunch of upside RBs or handcuffs like R Jennings, J Rodgers, M Bush, Spiller, Gerhart, Redman) and use your depth to trade for your weakness
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby chaguewood » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:31 pm

BurritoBoy wrote:yeah if it was half a point per return yard, hell Antonio Brown coulda been the highest scoring player with over 1000 return yards. I think you would be able to draft that team. I've seen many people taking Rodgers in the top 3, everybody wants to get a top QB and if you are in the top 4, Rodgers at the beginning is your ONLY chance to really get one. I've done quite a few Mocks on ESPN, and yes Richardson does fall that far because he is ranked at like 35 overall, where in Yahoo I believe he is a top 15 ranked player. If you draft on ESPN and most guys go based of the standard projections, then this team is draftable.

That being said, I am not too big a fan of how you got 3 RBs before any WRs, it caused you to miss out on the top tier of WRs. I think you coulda held out on RBs and still get one later with great upside, and have been able to upgrade at your WRs. One thing I try to do is if I know I'm going to be weak at one place, then I try to completely load up somewhere else (ex, you are weak at WR, so draft a bunch of upside RBs or handcuffs like R Jennings, J Rodgers, M Bush, Spiller, Gerhart, Redman) and use your depth to trade for your weakness

Thanks for the advice. I like to think I'm really deep at rb with this team so I would play 3rb and 2 wr almost every week
chaguewood
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby chaguewood » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:28 pm

How about this team at pick 6?

QB: Ryan (66)
RB: C. Johnson (6)
RB: McFadden (15)
FLEX: Turner (35)
WR: AJ Green (26)
WR: Austin (46)
TE: Tamme (115)
D/ST: Seahawks (126)
K: Gostkowski (146)

B: D. Jax (55) (WR)
B: Garcon (75) (WR)
B: Hillis (86) (RB)
B: Freeman (95) (QB)
B: Young (106) (WR)
B: K. Smith (135) (RB)
B: B. Quick (155) (WR)
chaguewood
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby dagnuk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 pm

I like this one. Would be a competitive team, but when I wait on a mid-tier qb like Ryan, I tend to get my backup relatively quickly afterward, so I'm not worried about relying on a guy like Josh Freeman, who would probably be available on waivers if the worst did happen to Ryan.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby chaguewood » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:09 pm

Okay one more. I think I will end up with close to one of these three teams that I've posted. Do you uys like the ones I posted from picks 4 and 6 earlier or this one at 2:

QB: Romo (39)
RB: Rice (2)
RB: Richardson (19)
FLEX: Turner (22)
WR: Austin (42)
WR: V. Jackson (59)
TE: V. Davis (62)
D/ST: Bears (122)
K: Rackers (159)

B: Garcon (WR) (79)
B: Hillis (RB) (82)
B: Young (WR) (99)
B: Flacco (102)
B: L. Robinson (119)
B: K. Smith (139)
B: B. Quick (142)

I think I might need a little luck for that team to actually pan out and fall to me, but do you guys like it more than my previous ones? I obviously reached for Turner at 22, but I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the WRs on the board at that point and I feel like I made up for waiting on WRs by grabbing V. Davis at 62. Thanks!
chaguewood
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TruNinerFan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:09 pm

a great site to do mocks is: fantasyfootballcalculator.com

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions