Draft Strategy for League with QB/WR/WB/TE Flex - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Draft Strategy for League with QB/WR/WB/TE Flex

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Strategy for League with QB/WR/WB/TE Flex

Postby Oatsdad » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 am

One of my points leagues has a flex spot that allows for QB, WR, RB or TE. Looking at last year's scoring, QBs easily had the most points per position, so I think it makes sense to draft two strong QBs.

I'm really tempted to take QBs with both the first and second round picks and hope for the best at other positions. Thoughts?
Oatsdad
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Strategy for League with QB/WR/WB/TE Flex

Postby 11stever11 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:03 am

I would take a QB with the first round pick. In the second round I would pick a top 12 RB. I would wait until the 6th or 7th round to grab a QB like Big Ben or Matt Ryan.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LMack » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:17 am

The league should be treated as a 2 QB league. I would want to get two top 12 QBs.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Oatsdad » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 am

11stever11 wrote:I would take a QB with the first round pick. In the second round I would pick a top 12 RB. I would wait until the 6th or 7th round to grab a QB like Big Ben or Matt Ryan.

Here's my rationale: When I looked at last year's scoring, I saw 9 of the top 10 scorers were QBs: Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Stafford, Newton, Manning, Romo, Ryan and Rivers. Ray Rice rounded out the top 10.

Of 11-20, 7 were QBs: Roethlisberger, Vick, Sanchez, Smith, Fitzpatrick, Flacco and Dalton. The top 20 also included RBs McCoy and Jones-Drew plus WR Calvin Johnson. RB Foster was 21 but would've been top 20 if he'd played more games.

So on one hand, I feel like grabbing two elite QBs would help a ton with points. With this league's scoring, Rodgers was #1 with 563 points. Brees and Brady were also over 500 points, while Stafford, Newton and Manning were all in the 400s. The remaining four top 10 players were in the 300s.

23 players scored in the 200s, and then another 32 were between 150-199 points.

This means that there are very, very few truly elite players in this league. Rodgers alone was worth more than about 2 of the top 15 players combined!

This is why based on the league's scoring, I still kinda think two elite QBs is the way to go. The league's scoring makes most of the other positions almost interchangeable.

Is it a coincidence that the teams with Rodgers, Brees and Brady were 1-2-3 last year - and this was WITHOUT the QB flex option?

I was 5th, BTW - and I had Jamaal Charles as my 1st round pick! :~(

This just seems to be a really QB-oriented league...
Oatsdad
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Oatsdad » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:19 am

LMack wrote:The league should be treated as a 2 QB league. I would want to get two top 12 QBs.

It'll be interesting to see if others view it that way as well. I wonder how many returning players will notice the commish has changed the options. Maybe he's hoping NO ONE and he'll clean up! :-)
Oatsdad
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:38 am

a lot depends on your draft slot, getting 2 in the top 12 may not be feasible. I think it is pretty important to grab a stud QB in this format if you can
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby V » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 pm

I would take Rodgers/Brady/Brees over an RB in round 1, and I'd take Stafford/Newton over any RB outside the big 4. I'd take Eli/Vick/Romo after the top 10 RBs, and I'd take Ryan/Peyton/Schaub/Big Ben/Rivers/Cutler all the RB1s/WR1s are gone.
V
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dagnuk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:08 pm

The important thing during the draft is to remember how valuable drafting the second good QB is, and not to get caught up worrying about what if your RB or WR is weak, because this format makes RB and WR weaker flex players than QB.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby Oatsdad » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:22 pm

dagnuk wrote:The important thing during the draft is to remember how valuable drafting the second good QB is, and not to get caught up worrying about what if your RB or WR is weak, because this format makes RB and WR weaker flex players than QB.

That's really been my feeling and was why I started the thread: to gauge whether it made sense to grab QBs with my first two picks. I still think it does...
Oatsdad
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dagnuk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Don't get married to the idea of which position in which round. If you're stuck looking at scraps at QB in the 2nd round because they fly off the draft board early, then it makes total sense not to draft another QB because of the great value at other positions. But if your leaguemates are ignoring the QB position, then feel free to pounce.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions