Browns to be sold - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Browns to be sold

Moderator: Football Moderators

Browns to be sold

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Cleveland Browns close to being sold to Tennessee businessman Jimmy Haslam III, team guaranteed not to move
Published: Friday, July 27, 2012, 9:58 AM Updated: Friday, July 27, 2012, 2:37 PM
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND -- The Browns are close to being sold to Tennessee businessman Jimmy Haslam, a minority owner of the Steelers, and there's a guarantee the team won't move from Cleveland. (This is updated from previous versions of the story.)

In a press conference today Browns President Mike Holmgren confirmed that owner Randy Lerner "will give up controlling interest in the team."

"An unconditional guarantee was given that the Browns would not move before talks could even start,'' a league source told the Plain Dealer.

Lerner, who denied rumors over the past few months that the Browns were for sale, released a statement this morning that he's in negotiations with Haslam.

The following is Lerner's full statement:

"In connection with current rumors and press inquiries, I can report that I've been approached by Mr. Jimmy Haslam, who is interested in making an investment in the Cleveland Browns. We are currently in negotiations and both sides have agreed to keep that dialogue and its details private. Given that any transaction would require League approval, care has been taken so that this process will not be disruptive to the organization, in particular the football team, as it prepares for the upcoming season. We will share further details or make an announcement if it becomes necessary."

con't...

more: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... y_l_3.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Browns to be sold

Postby daullaz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:35 pm

If he buys them, he should be allowed to change the team name to the Cleveland Haslams.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:54 pm

I wonder if it meant to say ' team guaranteed not to move too far '
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:24 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I wonder if it meant to say ' team guaranteed not to move too far '

Or during daylight hours. Did the exact quote read "...team not to move. Nevermore, nevermore."? :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 pm

I think it's a move by the Steelers to make the Browns their farm team! ;-) :-D
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Browns to be sold

Postby Wood Chipper » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:19 am

stomperrob wrote:I think it's a move by the Steelers to make the Browns their farm team! ;-) :-D

Sounds realistic to me. But that means... Uh oh... Richardson to the Steelers???
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Calyxes » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Cleveland don't deserve a football team.anyway :-b
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Mizou » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:12 pm

stomperrob wrote:I think it's a move by the Steelers to make the Browns their farm team! ;-) :-D

..But don't the Steelers already own the Browns?
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:37 pm

Randy Lerner has sold the Browns to Tennessee businessman Jimmy Haslam for more than $1 billion.
Since the Lerner family acquired the Browns in 1999, they've gone 59-117 (.335) and posted a winning record twice. Haslam is the CEO of Pilot Flying J and previously was a minority Steelers investor. At that time, he described himself as "1,000 percent" a Steelers fan. Ex-Eagles president Joe Banner is reported to be among the purchasing group, which could lead to Mike Holmgren's exit.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Aug 2 - 11:27 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... layer-news
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:47 pm

So a .355 winning percentage, in a league where owners locked out players to grab more revenue to save franchise from losing money, fetches you over a billion dollars. I don't understand how someone who had enough business accumen to make that kind of money would spend it on a team in a league crying about the costs of doing buisness is too much. Oh, that's right. I forgot. The owners are lying. The NFL remains an exclusive club that doubles as a printing press.
Blah blah blah. or Baa baa baa, we don't care, just give us great football.
Hope the new owners do better than Lerner did. Go Browns. Best of luck to you Brownies fans.
Wonder how long before they make their first changes?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk