Steelers ink WR to 5 year/$42.5 million.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steelers ink WR to 5 year/$42.5 million....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Steelers ink WR to 5 year/$42.5 million....

Postby Mr.Joshua » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:08 pm

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace is seeking a contract similar to Vincent Jackson's in Tampa Bay.
The Sacramento Bee reported in March that Wallace was demanding Larry Fitzgerald money. Fitzgerald received $120 million over eight years, good for an annual average of $15 million and the richest contract in league history for a wideout at the time it was signed. Jackson's deal was worth $55.555 million over five years -- an $11.1 annual average and quite a bit more reasonable. A team willing to pony up that kind of dough plus a decent draft pick could probably take Wallace off the Steelers' hands before the season.
Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

-I'm siding with Wallace if this is really the case. He definitely deserves a contract on par with VJax, not Fitz....
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace is seeking a contract similar to Vincent Jackson's in Tampa Bay.
The Sacramento Bee reported in March that Wallace was demanding Larry Fitzgerald money. Fitzgerald received $120 million over eight years, good for an annual average of $15 million and the richest contract in league history for a wideout at the time it was signed. Jackson's deal was worth $55.555 million over five years -- an $11.1 annual average and quite a bit more reasonable. A team willing to pony up that kind of dough plus a decent draft pick could probably take Wallace off the Steelers' hands before the season.

-I'm siding with Wallace if this is really the case. He definitely deserves a contract on par with VJax, not Fitz....

Its a new era in the NFL. The players relented on rookie signing bonuses, told that money would then be freed up for veteran players. Now we see all but the elite players getting squeezed. The liars won, now we fans have to pay as players and agents adjust to the new bargaining arena in the league. Makes me sick to see players lied to, and misled by the weakest union in pro sports.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Mizou » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Mr.Joshua wrote:According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace is seeking a contract similar to Vincent Jackson's in Tampa Bay.

Reportedly, the offer to Wallace was 5 years 50 million. 10 million average, as compared to VJack's 11.1 average. Honestly, I think it's splitting hairs at that point. If the team says "close enough, but we can't go over 10 per," and you're holding out for 1.1 more a year... that just seems a bit drastic imo. A lot of benefits for staying with that organization that can outweigh the 1.1 more a year that feeds your ego.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Postby ravendan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:44 pm

It is most likely guaranteed money they are fighting over after all that is all that really matters. Total contract value is just a big number thrown out so the player can have some bragging rights when it is shown on tv.
ravendan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:31 am

This is certainly how the Steelers do business and I get it, but I'll be damned if it isn't risky for them. You would rather give Brown 5/42 instead of 5/55 to Wallace? Brown is talented but that is a ton of money into a guy who has 1 big year, and has never performed as a #1 WR. Some guys just excel as a compliment. He has never consistently faced #1 CB's, never faced double coverages, never had the full attention of a defense or on the scouting report the week before, that is an entirely new world then playing alongside one of the NFL's fastest WR's who takes the top off a defense and provides tons of room for him to get open.

That's not to say he can't do it, but it's also a risky contract to assume that he could. It's not like this is the old smashmouth Steelers we are talking about. They are a passing team now, Redman doesn't scare anyone, and FWIW neither did Mendy but he at least gave them a consistent ground threat before he was injured. I don't think that extra 13 million spread out over 5 years was that much to balk at. Wallace has consistently performed as an elite WR so that price tag wasn't too expensive.

He doesn't put attention on himself, you don't see him out in the media, he's not a show boat, I'm sure the hold out rubbed the organization the wrong way but I feel like he had somewhat of a gripe as the contract should have been hammered out before this off-season. He's got 24 TD's over the past 3 seasons and a YPC that rivals just about anyone, and oh yea, has never missed a game in his career. I would have been slightly upset about playing for 2 million dollars too, what more did they want him to do exactly?
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Agree totally with Throwed's post. As much as the Stillers want to think of themselves as a smash mouth running team, they have won due to a strong passing game and D. They may have overpaid for Ant Brown to prove a point. It could cost them dearly if Antman can't live up to #1 role.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Football Talk