Drafting 12/12 Take the Brady/Gronk combo? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Drafting 12/12 Take the Brady/Gronk combo? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting 12/12 Take the Brady/Gronk combo? WHIR

Postby twes » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Thinking of taking the Brady/Gronk combo with my 12/12 pick in a non-ppr league. Then going WR/RB with my 3rd and 4th picks.
Opinions? Would the Brees/Graham combo be better? Would I be left with a rough selection for a RB1?

Thank you! WHIR!
2011-2012 Des Moines Fantasy Football League Champion
12-4 overall record.
twes
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drafting 12/12 Take the Brady/Gronk combo? WHIR

Postby TruNinerFan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:35 pm

I would rather have brady/Gronk. Its a different strategy that I think alot of people are going to do this year. If you do this, your RB's are going to suffer big time. It could blow up in your face or it could win you the league.

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby BurritoBoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:56 pm

TruNinerFan wrote:I would rather have brady/Gronk. Its a different strategy that I think alot of people are going to do this year. If you do this, your RB's are going to suffer big time. It could blow up in your face or it could win you the league.

Agreed that I'd rather have the Pats. Also yes, doing this ruins your chances at a top Rb, your best guy will be somewhere in the turner range I feel depending on who falls. If the right guys fall to your 3/4 picks, it could be great. You'd have to really look for sleeper RBs like Fred Jackson, a guy I feel is going under the radar completely. He was amazing pre injury. It's a huge risk, especially in a 12 team league. Idk if Brady will be there at 12, I've seen a lot of mocks and live drafts take Brady top 10

viewtopic.php?t=514510
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby dagnuk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:05 pm

If you ignore RB at 12/13th overall, then you are looking at a very scary RB situation moving forward. With Brady as one of your top picks, It's not something that will cripple you, or keep you from being competitive, but you have to be committed to playing catch up at RB moving forward.

That said, I doubt Brady even falls to you at this draft position. I rarely see him make it out of the top 10 in the mocks I've been doing.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby Mizou » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:46 pm

My best case scenario is Brady/Graham. Graham is heavily targeted by Brees, and Brady has a LOT of weapons to choose from. If Brady isn't there, I definitely go with Brees, then your choice of the TE, depending on whether or not you care that they're on the same (real life) team.

Edit: Also, OP, you have to draft pretty smart after making a move like that. Don't reach for guys, but grab players that are in good situations, but are usually overlooked by the crowd. Drafting in rounds 3/4+ is pretty hard at the turn, as your options are pretty absolute.

Actually, I withdraw my other advice. At the turn, make sure you get the guys you want/need. If it's round 4, and the guy you like miiiight be there at the end of round 5, take him anyway, unless there's somebody obviously much better. At the turns, you can't really gamble with the "he'll probably be there at my next pick" idea. If you're torn between taking a backup WR who has great value at that spot, or the RB you need to complete your starting lineup, but have to reach a bit for, take the reach.
Last edited by Mizou on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Mizou » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:49 pm

BurritoBoy wrote:Agreed that I'd rather have the Pats. Also yes, doing this ruins your chances at a top Rb, your best guy will be somewhere in the turner range I feel depending on who falls. If the right guys fall to your 3/4 picks, it could be great. You'd have to really look for sleeper RBs like Fred Jackson, a guy I feel is going under the radar completely. He was amazing pre injury. It's a huge risk, especially in a 12 team league. Idk if Brady will be there at 12, I've seen a lot of mocks and live drafts take Brady top 10

viewtopic.php?t=514510

Lo-freaking-l. Hahaha. Just described my other league's team to a T. Brees/Gronk/White... with Turner as my first RB picked.

Luckily I grabbed a ton of guys. Sproles, Redman, BJGE, Gerhart are the big names. I don't have a Rice, but these guys are all in good situations that can put them in the Forte/Jacksons range.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BurritoBoy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:58 pm

Mizou wrote:
BurritoBoy wrote:Agreed that I'd rather have the Pats. Also yes, doing this ruins your chances at a top Rb, your best guy will be somewhere in the turner range I feel depending on who falls. If the right guys fall to your 3/4 picks, it could be great. You'd have to really look for sleeper RBs like Fred Jackson, a guy I feel is going under the radar completely. He was amazing pre injury. It's a huge risk, especially in a 12 team league. Idk if Brady will be there at 12, I've seen a lot of mocks and live drafts take Brady top 10

viewtopic.php?t=514510

Lo-freaking-l. Hahaha. Just described my other league's team to a T. Brees/Gronk/White... with Turner as my first RB picked.

Luckily I grabbed a ton of guys. Sproles, Redman, BJGE, Gerhart are the big names. I don't have a Rice, but these guys are all in good situations that can put them in the Forte/Jacksons range.

Hahaha well just luck and guessing who falls where. If PPR then thats a great pick in Sproles. My buddy who is a diehard Steelers fan will say that Redman is the second coming of Emmit Smith (as a Cowboys fan I accused him of blasphemy and condemned him). Gerhart I think is a great pick up, same with BJGE. This is an example of taking a gamble and it paying off, having a lot of guys who could be startable guys. Also having that many RBs could help you in trading and such. Was this a 10 team league?
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mizou » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:12 am

Yeah, 10-er, so my experience is a bit different than OP, who will have fewer options. While people were using the built-in Yahoo rankings and going after guys like Helu, or Best, I was going for people I felt had those good situations (singular starter, no backup pushing them, run-heavy team, etc.). Got Gerhart on the WW after his owner (who had AP) dropped him for some reason. Guess he thought we wouldn't notice.

Even I won't put Redman that high, but the guy ran amazingly well behind the Steelers' junk oline the past few years. Now that it's fixed, and there's a more dynamic offense in place, he should be even better.

BJGE, he's the sole starter, and is pretty much expected to do what Benson did for years. Nothing flashy, but it's that solid, consistent type of output, and it adds up over the year.

As you mentioned, Fred Jackson was playing well. People are enamored with Spiller, but it's pretty much Jackson's job to lose. Even if he loses it, you got half a year of good output from him.

Also, to OP: You have to be diligent and fast on the WW, even moreso than usual. Grab the hot up-and-coming guy a week too early, rather than a week late and missing him. If he doesn't pan out, oh well, grab the next one. There's gonna be a Roy Helu, Victor Cruz, etc. this year, like there is every year.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BurritoBoy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:30 am

To OP: this is exactly how you should approach the draft if you go Brady/Gronk. Don't follow the projected rankings, many times I find guys ranked way lower that I feel will have great years. You'll have to play catch up and watch the waiver wire. This guy was able to pull it off. Hard to do, but I feel that Mizou has a solid lineup.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions