How to draft with non-standard scoring? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

How to draft with non-standard scoring?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How to draft with non-standard scoring?

Postby mike208 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:10 pm

I have been playing fantasy football for several years now but my league has changed its scoring settings this year, so i want to make sure I draft in the best way possible. It's a relatively standard scoring format. 10yards per point for RB/WR/TE. 6 points for a TD for everybody. The biggest change is that QB's are at 15 yards per point. 1QB, 2 WR, 2 RB 1 W/R per roster. 10 team league.

I used a "calculator" from another site that takes the scoring system and ranks the players. With this system is had the top 3QB's at 560+ points for the season. The next 7 range from 516 to 402 points. with a big drop off at 7. As for the RB's they rank foster at 316pts. 2 through are 278 down to 223. 11 through 20 is 219 to 182.

Obviously the lowest scoring starting QB outscores the highest rated starting RB. So do I draft a QB in round 1(especially if i can get one of the top 3 before the drop off at 4). Or do I still draft RB first? Hoping I can grab 2 stud RB's or a stud RB and WR and then a decent QB?
mike208
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: How to draft with non-standard scoring?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:23 pm

First off the league is definitely QB friendly.

I think you still need to take the BPA. If you have a chance at the top 4 QB's grab them but dont overvalue them so much you draft them too early. Talk to a few people in the league as friends and ask them what they think about the change and how they are planning to compensate. You might get some valuable intelligence you can use later. }:-)

On the calculator you ran what you should do is consider the % drop off of each position or simply a point drop off. In other words is the 10th best QB 75% of the #1 QB or is it closer to 85%. Then do the same at RB, WR and TE. What you will get to see is what position is the most valuable. I think you will find that RB's are pretty scarce. You have the top 3, then another 3-4 who could push for top 3, then a bunch of ???????. So by the 3rd round you are scrambling to get a RB if you dont have one already where as there will still be plenty of solid QB's and WR's available.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mike208 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks. Due to the fact that the top 3 QB's are ranked as super studs. The percentage drop of to number 10 is 69.7%. 576 points for number 1 and 402 points for number 10.

1 to 10 for RB's is 70.5%. 1 to 20 is 57.6%. I will do some more tinkering with it. I am pretty sure if I get a pick in the top 3 I will probably take Brees, Rodgers or Brady. If I get pick 4, that will be a difficult thing. Anything after that I will probably grab a running back. I am reasonably sure my league mates will definitely jump on those top 3 or 4 QB's in the first. Once they go they may go after the RB's. Theres one guy who seems to like to stock up on WR's. So assuming they are there, he will probably take Megatron on the next best WR available in the next round.
mike208
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:12 pm

Most drafts you will see Foster, Rice and McCoy go in the top 3. I think if you really want one of those 3QB's you should try to get spot 4-5. I just can't imagine people not grabbing those RB's early no matter the settings.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mike208 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:11 pm

I was just looking at our points from last year(apparently we made this scoring change last year, not this year. I must have forgotten) and the top Qb scored 627 points. The 10th QB scored 364. The top RB scored 297, the 10th RB scored 183. Thats a 263 point difference between the number 1 and number 10 QB. But only 114 point difference between the number 1 and number 10 RB. That would seem to indicate the QB would be the better choice. The top points QB actually scored more points then the top 2 RB's combined.

Looking at our draft results from last year it looks pretty straight forward. 10 QB's taken, then 10RB's taken, 1 guy took a WR, then 9 more RB's. Then 9 WR's and 1 RB.
mike208
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Beginner's Forum