Missing the draft penalties? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Missing the draft penalties?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Missing the draft penalties?

Postby MrRuffles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Hey all,

Our league does an offline draft, we all meet up and determine draft order and I input picks. (We do the snake style drafting 1-10, 10-1, and repeat). In the past if someone missed draft day they got a middle pick (5 or 6) and would just pick the best player available for them.

But I feel this isn't fair to the people that are there. Why should a no show have a better chance at getting a better team then someone who shows up. Is it too harsh to say that if someone doesn't show up they don't get draft picks and must fill their team with the left over players that hit the free agent list?

What do you guys do for someone who doesn't show up? Or is there a different draft style that better addresses this problem?

-Brian
MrRuffles
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Missing the draft penalties?

Postby murphysxm » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:12 pm

First, and most importantly, welcome to the Cafe. Be prepared to get some incredible feedback and help!

To your question, I need a little clarification. So these are owners that don't show up or call in? Are they flat blowing off the draft? I want more info before I give my full thoughts, but in no way should an owner not there get any advantage. Life happens and drafts get missed, but I'm not going to "help" that owner out per say,
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby MrRuffles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 pm

It's mainly one owner who I feel is going to blow it off this year. He had a horrible season last year (2 wins). Asked him twice in the offseason if he still wanted to have a team this year, and he said yes (most recent asking was a week ago). This past Friday we had predraft get together to go over the what have you for the league this coming year (and for the champ to boast with his trophy). He was the only one who never said a word about going or not. We only had one other guy miss it and he let us know ahead of time. We also talked and set our draft day (Aug 26th) so there is almost a month of time too plan for it.

We have a Facebook group for the league which we use for messaging along with emails and texting. Once again said person doesn't reply to those means. I know everyone has a life and things can get busy and hectic, but when they post on Facebook all the time and blow off our group posts it irks me a bit.

My theory is that he my blow off the draft and roll with his chances on a "best player available" team.
MrRuffles
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby murphysxm » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I have a rule as a commissioner, either you are at the draft, supply a pre ranked list to me, provide an alternate drafter or you get kicked out of the league.

The draft is the best part of fantasy football, anybody that misses it by choice, needs the boot!
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 am

i agree he should be kicked out if he doesnt attend or call ahead of time and set something up. if he just staright blows you off knowing you will draft for him....he shouldnt deserve to be in the league and is a bad person

if it happens, just pick a playabel team and find someone else to take it over afterwards. i woudl also let him know prior to that you will be taking this course of action. if youlet him know ahead of time and he still blows it off....no excuse
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby NIGHTSHADE » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:41 pm

If a final owner is unavailable for you before or after draft day, you can institute a GHOST team in that slot where no players are on its roster in order to flesh out your league. If your league averages a weekly score of 100 for example, set the Ghost score in a H2H at 89 whereas each owner playing them in the schedule has to score a minimum of 90 to win. The GHOST team should go 4-10 on average but this solves your missing owner issue and you have a built=in system to weed out bad teams that cant score, you release the extra players into Free Agency and you do not have to micromanage another team as Commish. Has worked for me for 8 years and although we'd rather have a 12th owner, the owners enjoy this aspect as well.
NIGHTSHADE
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Postby dream_017 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 am

murphysxm wrote:I have a rule as a commissioner, either you are at the draft, supply a pre ranked list to me, provide an alternate drafter or you get kicked out of the league.

The draft is the best part of fantasy football, anybody that misses it by choice, needs the boot!

This ;-D

If he can't even supply a pre-ranked list or set a default in your system is not worth having
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Return to Commissioner's Corner