Antonio Gates - something to prove??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Antonio Gates - something to prove???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Antonio Gates - something to prove???

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Can he stay healthy?

CHARGERS: Gates feels he still has something to prove
July 28, 2012 4:50 pm • By SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com
— Scott Bair

SAN DIEGO — Media members gathered around Antonio Gates on the first day of full-squad training camp, waiting for that trademark smile.

There was, after all, plenty to be happy about. Gates came to camp fully healthy for the first time in two years. He was lighter in frame and on his feet, seemingly poised to make his 10th season one of his best.

The pearly whites, however, never showed.

He talked about ridding the roster of prima donnas. He talked with optimism about this year's renovated roster, focusing on the heightened level of accountability for players in camp. Everyone, he said, must earn the right to be a Charger.

It's the mentality of an undrafted free agent, one he has never truly let go of. Gates entered the NFL in 2003, unheralded and inexperienced, and doesn't believe eight straight Pro Bowl selections, five All-Pro selections and statistical achievements aplenty give him the right to take anything for granted.

"What I've done in the past has no relevance to this upcoming season," Gates said. "I still look at it like I'm unproven for the 2012 season, and that's a mentality derived from being an undrafted free agent.

con't...

more: http://www.nctimes.com/sports/football/ ... 31acd.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Antonio Gates - something to prove???

Postby yualreadyknow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I certainly hope he can stay healthy. I have him in a big spot for me this season.

I am certain that Green will be worked in behind him somehow to alleviate too much of a heavy workload but I am voting for yes, Gates will stay healthy. If he has an injury related to anything he had previously, he might be done for real. That's a NFL good guy so I hope the best for him.

Answer: He has plenty of prove. I question if Rivers can get the Chargers deep into the playoffs or beyond without him. That kind of talent is hard to mimic. Check out the TE rankings. He is consistently in the top 3 or 4 TEs especially when healthy. He has to help make the Bolts more than just an end of season punchline.

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/tools/proj ... tegoryId=6
< Don't ask. Yu Already Know >
yualreadyknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Gates has only one thing to prove - that he can stay healthy. Everything else is set up perfect for him to have a dominant season. He could very well be the go to guy in the pass game this season.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby benb18a » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Yeah he's actually going at a pretty good spot in mocks considering that he's healthy and in a perfect situation to put up numbers that puts him in a second tier all by himself. He's been going in the fifth round of PPR mocks I've been in lately, and if it weren't for my top two or wait TE strategy I'd love to pay that price for him.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby yualreadyknow » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:12 am

I picked him in my dynasty 4th round. There was a run on TE and I got good value for him. I was encouraged by some of the medical reports on his foot. I think Gates, Rivers, and the Chargers as a whole understand that 2012 is a defining year. Rivers is going into his tenth season and they have to win now. I predict Gates proves why he is an elite TE. I hope so.
< Don't ask. Yu Already Know >
yualreadyknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk