Demarco Murray - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Demarco Murray

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Demarco Murray

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:11 pm

murphysxm wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I'd be happy to take him as a #2, but there's no way in hell I'd want him as my #1 running back. He had 3 big games last year and a few meh games. Besides, he only reached paydirt twice. You can't convince me he's worth taking as the #1 back for a team.

His 3 big games:

25 carries, 253 yards, 1 TD vs. St. Louis
22 carries, 139 yards, 1 TD vs. Seattle
20 carries, 135 yards, 0 TD vs. Buffalo

Buffalo and St. Louis were either at or near the bottom last year in almost every important run defense category. In fact, in Murray's biggest game against St. Louis, an argument could be made that the inflated number had a lot more to do with the Rams' inept run defense. The Rams in 2011 gave up over 100 yards rushing in 13 of their 16 games. They gave up over 140 in 8 of those 13 games. Is the 253 still impressive? Sure it is. However, anyone else remember this guy...

JEROME HARRISON, CLE, RB - 2009

Harrison's output in 2009 was on par with Murray's in 2011. Harrison ran for 286 yards against the Chiefs in week 15 and then followed it up with 148 and 127 against Oakland and Jacksonville in weeks 16 and 17 respectively. The following year, Harrison ran for 330 yards and 1 TD in 12 games. Do I think Murray will have a catastrophic dropoff in production like Harrison did? Not exactly. But draft Murray as your #1 rusher in the late first or early second of a fantasy draft? Hell freaking no.

Guys taken as #1 fantasy RBs should have a much better track record than the 3 efforts Murray put up last year. No way can you convince me that taking a guy with 2 TDs and 3 great games against horrible run defenses should be enough to garner such a high pick, especially after what we learned following the 2009 season with Harrison.

All excellent points, but Trent Richardson is going as a #1 without the same questions. I would rather have a guy that I saw dominate a couple games in the NFL, than I guy never to wear an NFL uni

I'll give you that. I'd rather nab Murray over Richardson or Doug Martin, but can you really justify taking any of them in the 1st round?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Stelly » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
murphysxm wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I'd be happy to take him as a #2, but there's no way in hell I'd want him as my #1 running back. He had 3 big games last year and a few meh games. Besides, he only reached paydirt twice. You can't convince me he's worth taking as the #1 back for a team.

His 3 big games:

25 carries, 253 yards, 1 TD vs. St. Louis
22 carries, 139 yards, 1 TD vs. Seattle
20 carries, 135 yards, 0 TD vs. Buffalo

Buffalo and St. Louis were either at or near the bottom last year in almost every important run defense category. In fact, in Murray's biggest game against St. Louis, an argument could be made that the inflated number had a lot more to do with the Rams' inept run defense. The Rams in 2011 gave up over 100 yards rushing in 13 of their 16 games. They gave up over 140 in 8 of those 13 games. Is the 253 still impressive? Sure it is. However, anyone else remember this guy...

JEROME HARRISON, CLE, RB - 2009

Harrison's output in 2009 was on par with Murray's in 2011. Harrison ran for 286 yards against the Chiefs in week 15 and then followed it up with 148 and 127 against Oakland and Jacksonville in weeks 16 and 17 respectively. The following year, Harrison ran for 330 yards and 1 TD in 12 games. Do I think Murray will have a catastrophic dropoff in production like Harrison did? Not exactly. But draft Murray as your #1 rusher in the late first or early second of a fantasy draft? Hell freaking no.

Guys taken as #1 fantasy RBs should have a much better track record than the 3 efforts Murray put up last year. No way can you convince me that taking a guy with 2 TDs and 3 great games against horrible run defenses should be enough to garner such a high pick, especially after what we learned following the 2009 season with Harrison.

All excellent points, but Trent Richardson is going as a #1 without the same questions. I would rather have a guy that I saw dominate a couple games in the NFL, than I guy never to wear an NFL uni

I'll give you that. I'd rather nab Murray over Richardson or Doug Martin, but can you really justify taking any of them in the 1st round?

Agreed...so where do you take them? Round 2 as anRB2? Do you take them before or after guys like Fitz or Forte or Graham?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LMack » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Stelly wrote:Agreed...so where do you take them? Round 2 as anRB2? Do you take them before or after guys like Fitz or Forte or Graham?

If its a PPR league I am taking Murray after all of those guys but by after I mean right after.

I could see (and I don't mind) any of these pairings at or around the 12/13 snake. Fitz and Murray, Graham and Murray, Forte and Murray.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby LMack » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:41 pm

With Felix Jones failing his conditioning test and Phillip Tanner looking like he's going to lock up the 3rd string job is anyone handcuffing Murray with Tanner? If Murray were to go down I can't see Felix getting his entire workload. It seems like he would be better served as a third down/change of pace back and could yield more carries to Tanner.

Thoughts?
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Dallas Cowboys expect DeMarco Murray to carry the load
Posted Monday, Aug. 06, 2012
By Clarence E. Hill Jr.
chill@star-telegram.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Running back DeMarco Murray surprised more than a few people with his toughness during a breakout rookie season last year with the Dallas Cowboys.

Everyone knew about his speed and quickness after a standout career at Oklahoma, but his toughness and durability supposedly were concerns. It's one reason why he fell to the Cowboys in the third round after five other backs went ahead of him in the 2011 NFL Draft.

"The thing that excited me the most was the question mark on him: 'Was he a good inside runner?'" Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said. "We saw that he could carry the mail inside. We didn't know that. The draft didn't know that. The NFL didn't know that. But he showed that. So that is very encouraging. That gives you the stability or credibility that you like as your back."

Credibility is certainly no longer an issue for Murray, who is already considered one of the team leaders after rushing for 897 yards in seven starts as a rookie, including a team-record 253 yards in his first start against the Rams, before suffering a season-ending fractured ankle.

But it's not just for his play, which has been outstanding so far in camp, but also because of his mature attitude, competitive spirit and tough approach he brings to the meeting rooms as well as the field.

Murray shows that with his work after practice -- joining linebacker Sean Lee -- and the way he finishes runs with punishing blows to Cowboys defenders. Cornerback Teddy Williams was checked for a concussion after losing a recent battle with Murray.

con't...

more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/08/06 ... marco.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Re: Re: Demarco Murray

Postby Dplymkr88 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:21 pm

LMack wrote:With Felix Jones failing his conditioning test and Phillip Tanner looking like he's going to lock up the 3rd string job is anyone handcuffing Murray with Tanner? If Murray were to go down I can't see Felix getting his entire workload. It seems like he would be better served as a third down/change of pace back and could yield more carries to Tanner.

Thoughts?

I think if Murray goes down its Felix's job. I could see Tanner but my gut says Felix.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Still looking for that Eagles trophy case...

Dplymkr88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 24)

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:24 am

Felix is absolutely the backup to Murray. Felix knows the offense well, has started for this team before, and is an excellent pass blocker and receiver. If Murray gets hurt, Felix will see the bulk of the work, Tanner will spell him.

The good news for Murray is that they acquired FB Lawrence Vickers who is an upgrade from FB Tony Fiametta (who was off-and-on injured all year). The Cowboys didn't really run the ball well at all until Fiametta was in the lineup, so consider the addition of Vickers a huge plus for Murray.

However the interior OL is still a catastrophe. Gone are guards Montrae Holland and Kyle Kosier, and while Kosier wasn't that good last year, Holland actually was very solid. Replacing them will be Nate Livings, who had a hot-and-cold career in Cincinnati and either Mackenzie Bernadeau or Derrick Dockery. So they'll probably get worse at Holland's spot but potential better at Kosier's. Center Phil Costa returns and is an average at best center who does better in pass pro than in run blocking. Bottom line, the interior OL is still a huge question mark and will make goal-line rushing TD's hard to come by (Cowboys had a whopping 3 rushing TD's last year).

As for Murray himself, as a Cowboy fan I really like this guy. He's extremely intelligent and well spoken, has tremendous passion and tenacity and is really practicing with swagger so far in training camp. In fact most of the guys on defense really can't stand the guy because he just brings so much on every run and it begins to turn into a pissing match.

I think 1,200 rushing yards and 6 TD's are pretty likely for him.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Stelly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:05 pm

bagobonez wrote:Felix is absolutely the backup to Murray. Felix knows the offense well, has started for this team before, and is an excellent pass blocker and receiver. If Murray gets hurt, Felix will see the bulk of the work, Tanner will spell him.

The good news for Murray is that they acquired FB Lawrence Vickers who is an upgrade from FB Tony Fiametta (who was off-and-on injured all year). The Cowboys didn't really run the ball well at all until Fiametta was in the lineup, so consider the addition of Vickers a huge plus for Murray.

However the interior OL is still a catastrophe. Gone are guards Montrae Holland and Kyle Kosier, and while Kosier wasn't that good last year, Holland actually was very solid. Replacing them will be Nate Livings, who had a hot-and-cold career in Cincinnati and either Mackenzie Bernadeau or Derrick Dockery. So they'll probably get worse at Holland's spot but potential better at Kosier's. Center Phil Costa returns and is an average at best center who does better in pass pro than in run blocking. Bottom line, the interior OL is still a huge question mark and will make goal-line rushing TD's hard to come by (Cowboys had a whopping 3 rushing TD's last year).

As for Murray himself, as a Cowboy fan I really like this guy. He's extremely intelligent and well spoken, has tremendous passion and tenacity and is really practicing with swagger so far in training camp. In fact most of the guys on defense really can't stand the guy because he just brings so much on every run and it begins to turn into a pissing match.

I think 1,200 rushing yards and 6 TD's are pretty likely for him.

1,200 and 6 TDs sure don't sound like late 1st early 2nd round pick type production. Murray has great upside but his ADP scares me.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Murray's health scares me the most. He's been hurt almost every year from the time he's been at Oklahoma.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Coach Jason Garrett admitted that he might look to replace Felix Jones on special teams.
Jones' play during training camp and the first two weeks has been atrocious. He's barely seen the field during plays from scrimmage and fumbled the opening kickoff during the Week 2 loss to the Seahawks. It's gotten so bad that owner/GM Jerry Jones had to publicly reiterate that Felix's roster spot is secure.
Source: Dallas Morning News
Sep 18 - 11:32 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... layer-news
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk