draft strat opinons? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

draft strat opinons?

Moderator: Football Moderators

draft strat opinons?

Postby sabomnim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 am

I was just trying to see how others feel

im the 9th pick of 10 and ive been debating going QB/RB or RB/RB with my first two picks
the first 8 picks will prolly look like this: Foster, mccoy, rice, calvin, rodgers, MJD, CJ, Mathews
6pt TDs
1 PPR

The drop off in QB is huge between the top tier (rodgers/brady/brees) to mid tier (Ryan/Cutler/Big Ben) is about 150 points
The drop off between top RBs at my pick (McFadden/Forte/Richardson) and mid tier (Reggie Bush/gore) is less than 100 pts
the difference is i can get mid tier QB in round 7/8 where as mid tier RB is 5-6

Do you prefer a team with:
Top QB, good/decent RBs and good/decent WRs (ie. Brady, McFadden, Reggie Bush, and 3 solid WRs and 2 decent WRs)
or
Two good RBs, good/decent WRs with more depth and good QB (ie. Cutler, McFadden, Richardson, 4 solid WRs and 1 decent WR)

the benefit of going RB/RB is that I can strengthen my other positions and bench before im forced to go QB
But with RBs more likely to get hurt than QB, having an early pick being on a guy that will likely last the season is comforting by drafting a QB
Last edited by sabomnim on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHIR 100%
sabomnim
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: draft strat opinons?

Postby dagnuk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:28 am

If Brady/Brees falls to you at 9th overall, then you should consider drafting him. I would still grab a RB with the 2nd pick, because of the depth at WR, and to avoid having to pick from and rely on potential RB scraps. Whenever I mock this scenario, it works out pretty well. Ignoring RB for the first two rounds at the 9-12 range usually leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

When my leagues draft for real, RBs always go at a premium cost that I don't normally see in a mock draft. This has lead me to go WR/WR in past seasons, but I'm facing the QB/RB or RB/QB conundrum this year based on drafting 10th of 12.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:32 am

If i am pick 8-12, I am almost certainly planning on going RB/RB. I want to have a core of great RB to build on. I want to be chasing WR/TE and QB value late, not deciding which RB I dislike the least to draft....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby sabomnim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 am

sorry, edited my post, its a 10 man league as well
and yea i would def go RB with one of my first 1 picks, its just whether to go RB or QB with the other

also i never draft more than 1 QB, TE, DEF and K, another reason for going QB early since my bench will be all WR or RB

but i agree...i hate having my 2nd RB being someone i feel i have to draft rather than want to
i hate being in the 3rd or 5th round and i reach for someone just because i need to start filling my RB2 spot
i most likely will go WR/WR in 3/4 unless a really good RB drops to me....
WHIR 100%
sabomnim
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 73)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions