Doug Martin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Doug Martin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Doug Martin

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:30 pm

This kid def appears to be everything LeGarrette Blount is not, and unlike Blount he has his head screwed on right.

Rookie RB Doug Martin already impressing Tampa Bay Buccaneers
By Rick Stroud, Times staff writer
In Print: Tuesday, July 31, 2012

TAMPA — The conversation about Doug Martin always begins with the same question. Can he survive? But after only four days of NFL training camp, players and coaches are giddy wondering this: how much will he thrive?

"He made some explosive runs (Sunday) where you really see why they drafted him so high," guard Davin Joseph said. "He reminds you of a Ray Rice or Maurice Jones-Drew. He's very crafty and he really understands the run game."

Martin, the 31st overall pick from Boise State, has quickly established himself as the Bucs' most complete back. He makes sharp cuts and explodes through the hole. He can power through arm tackles, he is stout in pass protection, runs great routes and has soft hands.

"I feel like I'm a complete back," Martin said. "That's why they drafted me. They felt I was a complete back. I'm trying to show them out here and hopefully it translates to the games."

Martin had highlight reel games at Boise State, where he finished with 3,431 rushing yards and 43 touchdowns. He also recorded 67 catches for 715 yards and four scores.

con't...

more: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football ... rs/1243328

An important note further on in the article:
Martin isn't just good in pass protection, he relishes it.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Doug Martin

Postby LMack » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:45 pm

Schiano was looking for his Ray Rice and might've found him.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:49 pm

to say he is shooting up my rankings is an understatement....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby Wood Chipper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:12 pm

I don't usually gun for new players (last year I only trusted AJ Green) but him and Richardson are definitely looking to be drafted by me.
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Very happy to hear so much positive news on Martin. Have in my dynasty team, and were I to have a chance to draft him in a redraft, I would be tempted to over pay a bit for him.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Bucs coach Greg Schiano says running back battle is fluid, could go into season
By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Sunday, August 12, 2012

TAMPA — Shedding tacklers never has been an issue for LeGarrette Blount. What took a little more effort was making the pounds fall off him.

"I feel faster. I feel a lot quicker," Blount said after the Bucs' 20-7 preseason win Friday over the Dolphins in Miami.

He claims to have lost 5-10 pounds and is in obviously better condition than 2011: "I feel a lot lighter on my feet."

Perhaps, but Blount might not be fast enough to run away from rookie Doug Martin in the battle for the No. 1 running back spot. Just as the elusive Martin might not be able to shake Blount.

Coach Greg Schiano would prefer to ride one back throughout the season. But what Blount and Martin proved Friday is both deserve an opportunity to split touches until one clearly wins the job.

In the meantime, the Bucs believe they have enough footballs to go around for both of them.

con't...

more: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football ... to/1245479
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Yay, RBBC time

:-?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 pm

benb18a wrote:Yay, RBBC time

Sadly that is what the league has come to. The Bucs are doing what they have to do. Float stories around about how Martin is a go to handle the load. Hope that it wakes up sleepyhead Blount so you get some production from him. Then if he does seem to be getting the message, you announce that both will be very important members of the run game. One can assume that Blount will get all short yardage stuff, but I could see Martin getting middle field stuff and lots of 3rd down work. Think of how well that worked for Sproles, then factor in far less competition and the probability that Blount will blow it as some point.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:23 pm

moochman wrote:

Sadly that is what the league has come to. The Bucs are doing what they have to do. Float stories around about how Martin is a go to handle the load. Hope that it wakes up sleepyhead Blount so you get some production from him. Then if he does seem to be getting the message, you announce that both will be very important members of the run game. One can assume that Blount will get all short yardage stuff, but I could see Martin getting middle field stuff and lots of 3rd down work. Think of how well that worked for Sproles, then factor in far less competition and the probability that Blount will blow it as some point.

Somehow I think Schiano is much more direct and in-your-face than that - that may be other coaches M.O. but I think he would tell Blount to his face, no mincing of words, no need to float stories. Witness Winslow's quick exit outta town. I don't see Schiano as the type to play games.
stomperrob

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:24 am

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:

Somehow I think Schiano is much more direct and in-your-face than that - that may be other coaches M.O. but I think he would tell Blount to his face, no mincing of words, no need to float stories. Witness Winslow's quick exit outta town. I don't see Schiano as the type to play games.

It's not a game, its motivation. Winslow was an easy out, gets attention of the team. Threat of Martin taking Blount's job has much more impact now. Heck, I bet he even gets to meetings on time and stays awake thru them. for now

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk