Return to Football Talk

Doug Martin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Doug Martin

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:42 am

moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:
Sadly that is what the league has come to. The Bucs are doing what they have to do. Float stories around about how Martin is a go to handle the load. Hope that it wakes up sleepyhead Blount so you get some production from him. Then if he does seem to be getting the message, you announce that both will be very important members of the run game. One can assume that Blount will get all short yardage stuff, but I could see Martin getting middle field stuff and lots of 3rd down work. Think of how well that worked for Sproles, then factor in far less competition and the probability that Blount will blow it as some point.

Somehow I think Schiano is much more direct and in-your-face than that - that may be other coaches M.O. but I think he would tell Blount to his face, no mincing of words, no need to float stories. Witness Winslow's quick exit outta town. I don't see Schiano as the type to play games.

It's not a game, its motivation. Winslow was an easy out, gets attention of the team. Threat of Martin taking Blount's job has much more impact now. Heck, I bet he even gets to meetings on time and stays awake thru them. for now

It's motivation by mind games. I think Schiano is much like Bill Parcels who said if you need to be motivated you don't belong here!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:43 pm

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
Somehow I think Schiano is much more direct and in-your-face than that - that may be other coaches M.O. but I think he would tell Blount to his face, no mincing of words, no need to float stories. Witness Winslow's quick exit outta town. I don't see Schiano as the type to play games.

It's not a game, its motivation. Winslow was an easy out, gets attention of the team. Threat of Martin taking Blount's job has much more impact now. Heck, I bet he even gets to meetings on time and stays awake thru them. for now

It's motivation by mind games. I think Schiano is much like Bill Parcels who said if you need to be motivated you don't belong here!

What does that even mean?
Motivation, by definition, is a mind game. The hope that words and deeds you do will cause a change in the thought process of a group or individual. Show me a coach who doesn't use mind games and...well, just show me that coach.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 pm

moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:

Motivation, by definition, is a mind game. The hope that words and deeds you do will cause a change in the thought process of a group or individual. Show me a coach who doesn't use mind games and...well, just show me that coach.

Of course most coaches use mind games to some degree. I just tired of people trying to read some hidden message into every word that comes out of a coaches mouth(I'm not saying you do that). Sometimes what a coach says is exactly what he means, no mind games, no hidden message, no wink-wink, no motivational ploy.

I just don't think that Schiano is the type of coach to try and float a story about Martin to inspire Blount - it's not direct and often may not be effective (you run the risk of the player not believing it - it may have no effect if the player thinks: no way coach would do that me). I see Schiano telling Blount to his face to pull up his socks or sit on the bench) - it's like they say, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, why beat around the bush when you can go directly to the player and tell him to his face. These are grown men, not kids (although many continue to act like kids). You get a lot more respect by dealing directly with everyone, talk to them man to man, don't beat around the bush. Schiano has made it clear that he's the boss and everyone toes the line or else. It wasn't just Winslow, he shipped price outta town and there was one other guy I can't remember. As the TB media rightly proclaimed: "This guy is Greg Schiano. This is his team, his way, his time. It began Friday night."

People are always trying to read something into everything said, forgetting that many in this world swear by the KISS concept (Keep It Simple Stupid). Sometimes when a coach says he doesn't know who his starter is, as an example, he may be playing mind games or may be playing his cards close to his vest - but sometimes it actually means he doesn't know who his starter is. It's the old If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Nothing wrong with delving deeper into what someone says for some deeper implication but there gonna times. It's similar to people always trying to find an allegory in every book or movie when in fact the author/director did not intend one.

Sometimes what a coach says is precisely what he means, no ifs, ands or buts!
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm

moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:

He meant that players need to be self-motivated. They should not need external motivation from a coach, press-clipping, other team's statements, etc.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby benb18a » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:50 pm

That's true, but a little bulletin board material never hurt anybody :-b

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Stuart318 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Are they going to go to a platoon system with Martin and Blount? How many targets will each of them have? Is one of them going to be more of a red zone guy?
Stuart318
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:50 pm

stomperrob wrote:Sometimes what a coach says is precisely what he means, no ifs, ands or buts!

I agree with this. What we disagree with is just what the coach means when he says those precise statements. Glengary Glenross had a quote about the ABCs "Always Be Closing" The ABCs of coaching would be Always Be Coaxing. You have to get the players to follow the plan, and you have to do it with words that you are willing to follow with actions. Winslow's bus ticket showed the team that it is Schiano's way or the highway. Bluont was slow on the uptake, so a decision was made to promote Martin. This was done for (at least) 3 reasons. 1) Prepare Martin to be a starting RB. 2) Prepare the fans for a change in RB position 3) Send a message to Blount to shape up or ship out ( and also reinforce to the team who's the boss). Few are the statements that have only one meaning. With coaches, such hidden meanings suit a purpose - motivation.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 pm

I don't know about Few are the statements that have only one meaning - depends on who is speaking and the situation. I tend to say exactly what I mean when talking to someone, especially at work - if there's more than one meaning to the message often it will just cause confusion and people aren't sure what is expected of them and if you have 100 people working under you you can end up with 100 interpretations of what was said if the message has more than one meaning (back to KISS). Therefore I like coaches who are direct like Bill Parcells and Chuck Noll, and I think Schiano is cut from the same cloth (albeit maybe in a milder more modern update).

I always liked when Noll took over my Steelers, didn't give a rah-rah speech and try and blow smoke up everyone's butt to try and motivate them to perform better - just walked into the room and told the players the reason they weren't winning was because most of them were no good and weren't gonna be on the team any longer. No hidden message there to motivate them.

I like when Michael Irvin's old 'Canes coach Jimmy Johnson came over to the Cowboys and Irvin told him who all the team cancers were, those completely lacking in motivation. Johnson's message to them was crystal clear - goodbye!. No hidden message there to motivate them!

Joe said it best:
by joejlitz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 pm
He meant that players need to be self-motivated. They should not need external motivation from a coach, press-clipping, other team's statements, etc.

Jeez, I think that's better than both Parcells and I said it, lol!

:-D
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 pm

No big surprise here:

Doug Martin apparently wins Tampa Bay Buccaneers' running back competition over LeGarrette Blount
By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Sunday, August 26, 2012

At 5 feet 9, Boise State rookie RB Doug Martin disappears behind his blockers. But his ability to play three downs also has stood out to Bucs coach Greg Schiano, who compares him to the Ravens' Ray Rice, his former workhorse at Rutgers.

Martin moved into the starting lineup Friday against the Patriots, and he won't be replaced any time soon.

With starters expected to rest in Wednesday's preseason finale at Washington, it appears Martin has won the tailback job over incumbent LeGarrette Blount.

Friday, Martin ran 13 times for 53 yards and a touchdown and caught three passes for 12 yards. Blount ran seven times for 22 yards and didn't catch a pass.

"That's why he moved in and started the game; because he has shown me that much," Schiano said.

"And I don't think he did anything (Friday) night that would say, 'Oh, that wasn't a good move.' I thought he ran the ball well and did some things well. So right now, he's got to continue on that course. He's learning every day. And he's a very open-minded guy. He wants to learn."

con't...

more: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football ... on/1247936
stomperrob

Postby Cuffs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Speaking of motivation, I wonder if Doug Martin uses the fact that Blount cold-cocked Martin's former Boise State teammate after the Broncos beat Blount's ducks as motivation at any point this pre-season.
Cuffs
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 35)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk