Doug Martin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Doug Martin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Doug Martin

Postby joejlitz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:13 am

Both Martin and Mathews fell to the 5th round of my 10 team and I took Mathews. I hope I don't regret that later! :-o
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:31 am

Cuffs wrote:Speaking of motivation, I wonder if Doug Martin uses the fact that Blount cold-cocked Martin's former Boise State teammate after the Broncos beat Blount's ducks as motivation at any point this pre-season.

Nice ;-D
Either way, looks like those who took a chance on this guy in early drafts have a pretty strong counter point to those who insist drafting late is the better strategy.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Coach Greg Schiano confirmed that LeGarrette Blount was outplayed by rookie Doug Martin throughout training camp and preseason action.
"At the very beginning I sat them both down and told them what the deal was. They knew it," said Schiano. "LeGarrette's a smart guy -– when he watches the tape, he sees that he got outperformed." Unusual for a bigger back in that he's fumble-prone and below average in short-yardage situations, Blount is hardly ideal for a clock-killing or goal-line role. There's very little upside to stashing Blount on fantasy rosters.
Related: Doug Martin
Source: Tampa Bay Times
Aug 28 - 3:01 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... -news?rw=1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby TaDa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm

I have pick #2 in a dynasty / auction league. Since we can draft rookies at $2 on a $26 cap, I'm taking either Luck or Martin. T-Rich scares me.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby LMack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:45 pm

joejlitz wrote:Both Martin and Mathews fell to the 5th round of my 10 team and I took Mathews. I hope I don't regret that later! :-o

Only thing you should regret there is not taking Mathews in the 4th and Martin in the 5th :-L

Seriously good value there ;-D
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Just to muddy the waters as to who's gonna be #2 in TB:

Bucs signed RB D.J. Ware, formerly of the Giants.
Ware also reportedly received interest from the Raiders and Seahawks, but opted to join former Giants QBs coach Mike Sullivan in Tampa. A savvy pickup because he already knows the ins and outs of Sullivan's system, Ware can play on passing downs and get most of the yardage blocked by his offensive line. No. 2 back LeGarrette Blount is incapable of doing the former, so the Bucs are now protected in case every-down back Doug Martin gets injured. Sullivan would turn to a Ware-Blount committee if the Bucs lost their lead back. Sep 1 - 6:21 PM
Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4498/dj-ware
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:52 pm

The Tampa Bay Times speculates that LeGarrette Blount could be on the trading block.
Blount has already lost his starting job to Doug Martin, and the signing of D.J. Ware could be a sign that the Bucs view him as expendable. Ware is a middling talent, but Martin has the skill-set to be featured in an every-down role. Seventh-round rookie Michael Smith is a complementary, change-of-pace option.

I'm sad to say I didn't get an opportunity to draft Martin in any of my leagues. After the clear RB runs in the first couple rounds and the subsequent drop off, he represented some of the best RB value on board, just never got the chance. Oh well. :~(
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SirGrotius » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 am

I have him as my second back in a PPR league, and am backing him strongly.

I'm a little concerned, because Rookies are always overhyped, but TB has a tradition of running the ball well and I don't see Schiano moving away from that.
10 rushing yards - 1 pt
10 receiving yards - 1 pt
20 passing yards - 1 pt
All TDs - 6 pts (QBs favored)
SirGrotius
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 am

Bucs notes: Still waiting for RB Martin to break out
By ROY CUMMINGS | The Tampa Tribune
Published: October 02, 2012
Updated: October 03, 2012 - 5:56 AM

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded back into the first round of the draft to get Boise State RB Doug Martin last April thinking he would add an explosive big-play element to their running game.

As they stood at the season's quarter pole on Tuesday, the Bucs were still waiting to see that explosion.

With 247 yards on 71 carries, Martin has been gaining ground at what is virtually a pedestrian pace this year, and the biggest reason appears to be his failure to consistently break off big gains.

Of Martin's 71 carries so far, only 18 have gone for 5 yards or more and only six of 18 those have gone for 10 yards or more.

Even if you throw in the season-best 19-yard run that was wiped out by a holding penalty against the Redskins last week, Martin still is not running at the pace the Bucs envisioned. He soon will, though, they believe.

"He's had a few (long runs),'' Bucs coach Greg Schiano said. "Would I like it to be more? Yeah. But I'd give it a little more time until the offensive line gets settled down a little, because he's got that kind of ability.''

con't...

more: http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bucs/2012/oc ... ar-520267/
stomperrob

Postby pmstick » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Huge game tonight with a lot of carries. What does this do for his value moving forward?
Standard Scoring, 8 Team PPR

QB- BREES, Romo
RB- MARTIN, RICE, Sproles, Murray, A.Morris
WR-D.THOMAS, BRYANT, Maclin, S.Smith
TE- GRAHAM, Hernandez
K- TUCKER
DEF- BENGALS, Giants

Mathews for my Ridley/Redman
Rice for my Mathews/Wallace
pmstick
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff