Thoughts on Big Ben - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Big Ben

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Big Ben

Postby Mr.Joshua » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:26 pm

I put him in the mix with the rest of the QB's ranked 8-12. I have had no problem taking the 12th qb in 12 team leagues and ending up with him. I believe they will be throwing and am not not buying the run heavy game plan. The Wallace issues aren't ideal obviously but they may end up throwing more b/c of it. This news came in today......
.....Ben Roethlisberger revealed Wednesday that he has "a little torn rotator cuff" in his right arm.
It's Big Ben's throwing arm. Roethlisberger says he suffered the injury last November against the Ravens. He insists it feels "fine," his arm is "strong," and it won't hinder any of his throws. Roethlisberger was also dealing with a major ankle injury at the time, and his mobility was severely impacted down the stretch. We didn't notice any issues with his passing ability. It's a notable situation, but not one worth worrying about. If the Steelers' medical staff were worried, Big Ben would have undergone offseason surgery. He didn't need to.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

- Pitt fans - lets hear it.....
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 226)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on Big Ben

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:55 pm

With Todd Haley there as the new OC, I feel a bit better about Ben Roethlisberger's chances to toss 4,000 yards and 20-25 TDs - very nice numbers for a QB taken later in a fantasy draft. The Wallace situation is concerning, but I think the Steelers still have enough talent behind Wallace on the depth chart. Personally, I think Wallace will end up signing the one year tender and playing. He really doesn't have a choice in the matter, unless he wants to completely derail his career. Regardless, Ben is a great mid to late round gamble.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Agreed... Big Ben is setup for a much better year IMO without Arians callig the shots. No more stupid Bubbly screens...

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Ben Roethlisberger will have "full rein" to run the no-huddle offense under Todd Haley.Haley assured Tuesday the no-huddle will be "a big part of our offense." The early returns suggest Haley's Pittsburgh offense will mirror his Kurt Warner scheme in Arizona, with an emphasis on quick-release passes to keep Big Ben "upright, in rhythm and on target all while getting rid of the ball as quickly as possible." Although Haley opened padded practices making a statement with run calls, this has the look of a pass-oriented offense. The Trib-Review believes Haley will run just "enough to keep a defense guessing." Jul 31 - 7:30 PM
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mizou » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 pm

petedog9 wrote:Agreed... Big Ben is setup for a much better year IMO without Arians callig the shots. No more stupid Bubbly screens...

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Ben Roethlisberger will have "full rein" to run the no-huddle offense under Todd Haley.Haley assured Tuesday the no-huddle will be "a big part of our offense." The early returns suggest Haley's Pittsburgh offense will mirror his Kurt Warner scheme in Arizona, with an emphasis on quick-release passes to keep Big Ben "upright, in rhythm and on target all while getting rid of the ball as quickly as possible." Although Haley opened padded practices making a statement with run calls, this has the look of a pass-oriented offense. The Trib-Review believes Haley will run just "enough to keep a defense guessing." Jul 31 - 7:30 PM

^^^^^ This. Forever. So glad to be rid of him.

I wouldn't put much stock in this news story at all. As tough as Ben is, he has a tendency to be a bit of a drama queen about the little things. It seems pretty much every year he has some preseason or camp injury, then he goes on and has a good year like normal.

I think he'll have a better year than usual. Oline fixes and a competent OC should limit the INTs and sacks. Think of the Patriots and Titans games last year- that's the type of offense I'm envisioning. Break 'em down with running and small ball, but prepared to fire deep when the opportunity arises.
Mizou
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 7)

Postby LMack » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm lower on Big Ben then most. A QB who has thrown for 20+ TDs only three times in his career and 4000+ yards twice does not excite me. I know that all the word out of the Steelers camp is that they will be throwing the ball more, but that's the word out of almost every camp this year. Big Ben also happens to be the most sacked QB over the past four years and it is inevitable that he will be play through some pain like he always does, which doesn't bode well for his fantasy outlook. In this day and age of fantasy it seems that 30 TDs is the new 20 TDs and Big Ben's production just doesn't stack up.

I don't see him that much better than the Jay Cutlers and Matt Schaubs of the world and that's who I rank him with.

My QB Tiers (Ignoring the top 5)

A: Romo, Vick, Ryan, Rivers, Mannings

B: Roethlisberger Cutler Schaub
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:12 am

Ben Roethlisberger: "Little Torn Rotator Cuff" in Throwing Arm

Update: Roethlisberger is downplaying what he described as a "little torn rotator cuff" in his right (throwing) arm, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports. "I'm good. It's OK, just sore," Roethlisberger said when asked about his arm injury. "I have a little torn rotator cuff."

Recommendation: Roethlisberger injured his shoulder last November, but this is the first time he's referred to it as a rotator cuff tear. While that sounds ominous, Roethlisberger says it feels fine and that it should not hamper his throwing going forward. Since he doesn't pitch in the majors and he's no stranger to playing through discomfort, we don't doubt Roethlisberger's intentions to play through the issue, however it is something to note, as it's the sort of injury that he could conceivably aggravate down the road.

Thats the whole story. He has been getting banged up a bit in the past few years and I question if he can make it 16 games. Definitely more of a bye week fill in now unless he gets back to 2 years ago
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Once his new O-line gels they'll buy him more time in the pocket to find a receiver. ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Return to Football Talk