I'm out of my element! Need help with dynasty! WHIR!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

I'm out of my element! Need help with dynasty! WHIR!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

I'm out of my element! Need help with dynasty! WHIR!!!

Postby hammertoes » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 am

This is the type of long, involved post that I wouldn't normally bother to read, let alone respond to. Please just stick with me! ;-D

I just joined a new league and took over a defunct team. It's a 2QB, IDP, dynasty league. I have never played in any of those three formats before, let alone all at once, so I'm having a hard time gauging the relative player values.

We play 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, 1K, 3 or 4 DL, 3 or 4 LB, 4 DB. It's a 12 team league with PPR, 43 man rosters, and 6pt for all TDs.
----------------------------------------------------------
My team is:

QBs-Matt Ryan, Kevin Kolb, Jason Campbell, Ryan Mallet, Dan Orlovsky, TJ Yates %-6

RBs-Matt Forte, Ahmad Bradshaw, Peyton Hillis, Toby Gerhart, Kevin Smith, Ryan Grant, Alex Green, Javon Ringer

WRs-Dez Bryant, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Lloyd, Golden Tate, Devin Aromashodu, Donald Driver, Lee Evans, Chaz Schillens, Mike Sims-Walker

TE-Aaron Hernandez, Lance Kendricks, Anthony Fasano

DL-Andre Carter, Marcell Dareus, Julius Peppers, Linval Joseph

LB-Nick Barnett, Larry Grant, Sean Lee, Curtis Lofton, Jovan Belcher, Bruce Carter

DB-Jordan Babineaux, Morgan Burnett, Ryan Clark, Richard Marshall, Eric Smith
---------------------------------------------------

Looking at my team, I don't really think I have enough to compete. My QBs are double yuck, and there is NOTHING on the wavier wire. Every team rosters like 4 or 5 QBs, so even the good backups are gone. Even better, the previous owner traded away my first round pick for the 2012 rookie draft, so i don't pick until 2.08 and the top 20 rookies will be gone.

Do I blow it up and trade off all my marketable assets for future picks? I was thinking about offering Matt Forte for a top 3 pick in this year's rookie draft so I could get Luck, RG3, or TRich, but I don't know if that's too much to offer or too little. Like I said, my view of player values for a league like this is I'm sure way off.

Or do I stay the course and take the slow and steady approach, work the wavier wire, and try to make some smart trades? I'd really appreciate any help this fantastic forum can offer.
hammertoes
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: I'm out of my element! Need help with dynasty! WHIR!!!

Postby Jason497 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:19 am

I wouldn't throw away all your assets but probably most of them. I'd see what an aging guy like Bradshaw could net you. I'd try to trade for some undervalued sleepers, maybe someone is willing to move a Jake Locker for cheap, doubt it but ya never know.

I wouldn't throw away Brandon Lloyd just yet, the more I hear out of camp the more I think he's the reason NE hasn't given Wes Welker a new contract, he's been lights out. I thought he'd get canceled out by all those weapons there but I'm starting to think he won't be, and he'll have more trade value later if I'm right.

Matt Ryan is going to be a top 10 QB for the next decade, if you can Herschel Walker someone he might be your best bet but otherwise I'd build around him because he's still getting better and he's a franchise QB for you.

I suppose you could trade your best players for 2 guys in a lesser tier or aquire multiple picks. If you giveup Forte you are pretty much locked in to the #1 pick next year. He's 26 with 1200+ career touches so maybe his value is at it's highest too, I suppose it might make sense to move him although 1 stud for 1 maybe stud is scary but could pay off in the long run.

Dez Bryant would be a name to move, everyone thinks he's going to be a top WR but I think he's just mentally bankrupt and I don't buy it. He'll be a 1000 yard guy but I don't see the next Randy Moss or something. I'd see if there's someone who will giveup the farm for him.

Aaron Hernandez is a name to move, will NE be able to sustain 2 top 5 TEs for the next 5 years? Possible but unlikely imo. His value is already at it's highest with some people ranking him the 3rd redraft TE on the board this year.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Re: I'm out of my element! Need help with dynasty! WHIR!!!

Postby 11stever11 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 am

I would re-tool this team more than re-build. Matt Ryan and Hernandez are young center pieces that you can build around. The main guy I would look to move is Bradshaw. I do not see him being a long term workhorse RB with David Wilson. I would also look to move for the right price Forte, and Garcon. I think if you trade Forte for a top three pick I would only trade him for the 1.01. I would want a little more in return for the 1.02. I do not like Garcon as a long term dynasty asset. Guys I would look to target in general are J-Stew, Cobb, Ingram, Spiller, Decker, Britt, Locker, and D. Moore.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions