Drew Brees vs Matt Stafford - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drew Brees vs Matt Stafford

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mprince1901 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:15 am

Both are obviously awesome, and had awesome seasons last year. I think Brees will play good no matter who is coaching/not coaching. I am concerned though without Sean Payton the offense as a whole might lose order. Do you think brees' numbers will drop this year due to the absence of Sean Payton?
mprince1901
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wood Chipper » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:21 am

I would choose the qb who isn't known to be injured.
Wooden Icicles PPR (Horse Traders Dynasty)
Wood Chipper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

CafeholicCafe Writer

Re: Drew Brees vs Matt Stafford

Postby m16a » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 am

mprince1901 wrote:Both are obviously awesome, and had awesome seasons last year. I think Brees will play good no matter who is coaching/not coaching. I am concerned though without Sean Payton the offense as a whole might lose order. Do you think brees' numbers will drop this year due to the absence of Sean Payton?

First of all, welcome to the Cafe mprince. We've got a great community here. Certainly hope you stick around and enjoy the wonderful resources and people we have here. It's all free, and it's excellent. The Cafe is as good as you make it to be. And we've got people here who work hard to make this place pretty darn awesome. Welcome. ;-D

Now, to your question. If anything, I think Brees' numbers may actually go UP without Payton. Reports out of Saints camp has been, in general, that without Payton, the Saints are going to be relying very heavily on the "ol standby's" of the offense. This means getting Graham and Colston the ball and allowing Sproles to be dynamic. All of that funnels through Brees. He's smart, he knows his offense, and the lack of his HC isn't gonna make him worse. Would not be surprised to see him have an even bigger season honestly, since they'll get less fancy, pass more to the big three weapons, and be in a lot of high powered games (they averaged allowed 21.2 points a game last season).
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:52 pm

There is also the possibility that the Saints may try and run more to keep D off the field. I am more in the camp of you cannot ask a leopard to change its spots. I go with Brees. Much more established.
Stafford had a career year, Brees has career statistics.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Fantasyfballchamps » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:15 pm

I like Stafford a lot - and I think Brees is in for a down year. Last year Brees hit a big stride and threw lower INTs, same with Stafford. Consider Stafford's numbers before breaking his pinkie and his numbers are even more impressive.

Even with Payton out - Brees will get his numbers. I have bumped up his INTs because I think he will force more - but he still has Graham and Sproles. Brees will get his numbers.

Stafford's numbers will be solid - take away his 6td game and his TDs look more realistic to what 2012 may bring. I have these two ranked 3/4 for QB - you could literally flip a coin. I have Brees scoring 386 points compared to Stafford's 373. A difference of only 1 point a game.

In the end I like Brees better and would take him before Stafford, but only by 1 pick and would be happy with either.
Fantasy lineup advice, individual help for your team by real analysts
http://www.fantasyfballchamps.com
Fantasyfballchamps
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 10)

Postby benb18a » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Even with a letdown year...Brees is a top 5 quarterback. It's not like he has one or two targets that he feeds the ball to. What truly separates Brees, Brady and Rodgers from the rest is their ability to create, which is why it is not coincidental that those three also have the highest distribution of passes to different targets. Take Megatron from Stafford, and you have a low end fantasy starter at best in Matt. Take Colston or Graham out of the picture, and you have a guy that will still complete 80 passes to a RB and 80+ passes at at least one WR/TE and will spread the ball around the field for another 4000/30 season.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mprince1901 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome m16

benb18a wrote:Even with a letdown year...Brees is a top 5 quarterback. It's not like he has one or two targets that he feeds the ball to. What truly separates Brees, Brady and Rodgers from the rest is their ability to create, which is why it is not coincidental that those three also have the highest distribution of passes to different targets. Take Megatron from Stafford, and you have a low end fantasy starter at best in Matt. Take Colston or Graham out of the picture, and you have a guy that will still complete 80 passes to a RB and 80+ passes at at least one WR/TE and will spread the ball around the field for another 4000/30 season.

This, I think, is the best way to look at it yet. I thought I had exhausted all angles of the argument but one of the most obvious ones. If the dreaded madden curse holds true than Brees will definately need to be my guy. I think I am over analyzing the loss of Sean Peyton lol.
mprince1901
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to Football Talk