Miles Austin - hamstring issue - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Miles Austin - hamstring issue

Moderator: Football Moderators

Miles Austin - hamstring issue

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Hmm, it's starting again already:

Miles Austin to sit at least week
Updated: August 6, 2012, 1:23 AM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys are planning on keeping wide receiver Miles Austin out of practice for at least a week, which would put his availability for the Aug. 13 preseason opener at Oakland in jeopardy.

Austin was kept out of the second half of Saturday's practice with a strained hamstring. The team does not believe it is as serious as the different pulls to both hamstrings that kept him out of six games in 2011, but Dallas will be cautious.

"I'm not necessarily concerned about his situation and why I'm not is we are being very conservative here," owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. "These get a little tightness or a little twinge. Everybody is on the same page here. Let them have a couple of days. We are a month away from lining up. No need to push these guys around and get something that could take weeks. The only thing the I can remember is how last year it took weeks for him to get back a couple of times and what you are seeing is preventative so it won't take weeks."

Austin has had a number of hamstring issues through his career, which coach Jason Garrett said could be a result of how hard he works in practice.

"We just have to learn from that experience (from last season), and he has to learn from that experience," Garrett said. "Making sure he's getting all the hydration he needs, getting all the treatment. He's been doing all that stuff, but we have to make sure we're somewhat cautious with him in making sure we're not getting him back too soon and then when we get him back making sure we continue to monitor that ... Sometimes when you're an undrafted guy from Monmouth University and a Jersey tough-type guy you don't want to tell the coach anything like that. You say, 'Coach, I'm fine,' and that's one of Miles' greatest strengths. Sometimes it can creep up in a negative way as well."

con't...

more: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/i ... least-week
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Miles Austin - hamstring issue

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Bumped him down my list after reading my weekly update from FF index. Worrisome to say the least given the history with this injury
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:21 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Bumped him down my to-do list

what are you, a kardashian? ;-7

I was avoiding him already. In fact I'm avoiding most of the Cowboys roster this season.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby benb18a » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 pm

scottaa1 wrote: In fact I'm avoiding most of the Cowboys roster this season.

Care to explain?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:53 pm

benb18a wrote:

Care to explain?

"Hi, I'm Dez. I assaulted mom, and Jerry Jones despises me." - I'm pretty sure I don't want my NFL fate in the hands of someone like JJ
"Hi, I'm Miles. Can a get a ice bath? "
"Hi, I'm Tony."

I'd take Murray.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 am

Austin is a tease. I wouldn't waste a pick on him.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby m16a » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:28 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
benb18a wrote:

Care to explain?

"Hi, I'm Dez. I assaulted mom, and Jerry Jones despises me." - I'm pretty sure I don't want my NFL fate in the hands of someone like JJ
"Hi, I'm Tony."

I'd take Murray.

Only Cowgirl I'm even REMOTELY considering having on my team this year is Witten. Not touching Murray until another season (he's going mid to late second. Waaaay too much bust factor on practically no track record), never believed in Austin, Dez is a boneheaded idiot, and Romo is Romo. Witten generally goes far earlier than I am willing to draft a TE in general.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby 2ksports » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:13 pm

m16a wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:
benb18a wrote:
Care to explain?

"Hi, I'm Tony."

I'd take Murray.

Only Cowgirl I'm even REMOTELY considering having on my team this year is Witten. Not touching Murray until another season (he's going mid to late second. Waaaay too much bust factor on practically no track record), never believed in Austin, Dez is a boneheaded idiot, and Romo is Romo. Witten generally goes far earlier than I am willing to draft a TE in general.

I agree on the Murray sentiment, esp with a motivated Felix behind him. Murray sort of fizzled late anyways.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:14 am

A couple of things.

1. Felix Jones is not "motivated." Make no mistake, this is Murray's job now. Felix came into camp fat and out of shape and even failed the conditioning test. Murray will be the bulk of the carries including goal-line.

2. Lawrence Vickers, one of the best blocking FB's in football, will be opening holes for Murray. Check the Cowboys' rushing game last year with and without FB Tony Fiametta. And Vickers is a much better blocker than Fiametta.

3. The Cowboys interior OL is still a gigantic mess and this may again make rushing TD's hard to come by unless they're long distance.

4. Dez Bryant has been a beast in camp so far and showed up in the best shape of his career and appears highly motivated, finally knows the entire playbook, etc.

5. Someone said "Romo is Romo" as if that's a bad thing. 96.9 QB Rating is 2nd in the history of the NFL. The Romo to Witten connection will remain strong.

6. Austin's fragile and I don't trust him to stay healthy at all. Also, the Cowboys have no 3rd WR. This means Dez and Witten are going to be force fed the ball plenty.

This is all coming from a very tuned in Cowboy fan who lives in Dallas and gets camp updates every day.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:26 pm

And now it appears both Austin & Bryant are sidelined with hamstring injuries. Oh well, it will give us a chance to look at the Cowboys other WR's on MNF and see what they have.

Cowboys notebook: Bryant hit with hamstring injury
By Tom Orsborn
Updated 12:27 a.m., Sunday, August 12, 2012

OXNARD, Calif. — The Cowboys could be without their top two receivers in Monday's preseason opener at Oakland after Dez Bryant suffered a hamstring strain in Saturday's practice.

No. 1 receiver Miles Austin has been sidelined for more than a week with a hamstring injury. Austin missed six games last season with hamstring problems.

Although both injuries aren't considered serious, Dallas will exercise caution.

“This early in camp, we're not going to push hamstrings,” Jerry Jones said. “That's just policy, and this is exactly why we have the policy. When a player gets a little tightness, we will be very conservative.”

Bryant stopped practicing with about an hour left in the workout after he experienced tightness. Second-year player Dwayne Harris replaced him with the first team, lining up along with veteran Kevin Ogletree, who is starting in Austin's absence.

Entering the preseason phase of the competition for the No. 3 receiver job, Ogletree has a slight lead on the pack, receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said.

con't...

more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowb ... 781922.php
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Next

Return to Football Talk