Keeper Advice. Brady, Stafford, & Ray Rice: Pick 2 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Keeper Advice. Brady, Stafford, & Ray Rice: Pick 2

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper Advice. Brady, Stafford, & Ray Rice: Pick 2

Postby ahicks58 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:01 am

There are 10 teams in our league, and there are several quirks in our scoring system.

2QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, WR/TE, WR/RB, K, defense, 6 bench
Passing: 50 yards = 1 pt
TD = 6pt, Int = -3 pt
completions = +0.5 pt, incompletions = -0.5 pt

Rushing/Receiving: 15 yards = 1 pt
TD = 6 pt, Fumble lost = -3
reception = +0.5, carry = +0.25

Between 6pt passing TD's and the rewards for high completion %, QB's are clearly the most valuable position in this league. It is not uncommon for elite QB's to score 40-50 pts here. Moreover, starting 2 QB's makes them much more scarce. Each manager wants 3 QB's minimum (2 to start to one for byes), and 3 x 10 = 30. There are only 32 starting QB's in the NFL in any given week (32.5 if you count Tebow).

My initial instinct is to keep Stafford and Brady, notwithstanding the fact that Ray Rice is 1 or 2 in every ranking for standard scoring formats.

Stafford is a must-keep, IMO. Between Brady and Rice, Brady has more upside for the next 2-4 years, but he is 35, whereas Rice is 24. I also have to factor in that rbs have shorter shelf lives compared to qbs as well as the growing tendency in the NFL to utilize multiple rbs (not an issue for Rice now, but who knows when the Ravens might want to lighten his workload?).

The first two rounds of the draft are keepers, but teams have the option to select an unkept player in lieu of using the pick to keep. I don't have a 4th or 6th round pick, but I have an extra 10th and 12th.

In the 3rd round (1st after keepers), I will be fortunate if Rivers, Romo, or comparable QB is available. At RB, I covet Trent Richardson here, although Forte may still be around. In this league, I value RB depth more than RB starpower, and I have a good track record of getting value at RB in mid- to late- rounds.

So does anyone think I'm crazy for leaning toward letting Rice go?
ahicks58
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Advice. Brady, Stafford, & Ray Rice: Pick 2

Postby TruNinerFan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am

I would keep Stafford/Brady. This would give you a huge advantage in a 2Qb league.

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby Jason497 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:36 pm

TruNinerFan wrote:I would keep Stafford/Brady. This would give you a huge advantage in a 2Qb league.

Agreed.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby LMack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:45 pm

You have to let Rice go.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby ahicks58 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Awesome. Thank you everyone for your input.
ahicks58
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby BurritoBoy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm

I would also keep Stafford and Brady. You'll have weeks of 100+ just from your QB position, nobody else will be able to compete with that, unless they have a combo of Rodgers/Brees/Newton
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby ahicks58 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:38 pm

One thing I should mention about this league is that about half of the players don't realize the importance of QB's in a 2QB league and draft based off of standard rankings. That said, there's a good chance that I might be able to get Romo, Rivers, Ryan, or Roethlisberger in the 3rd. I find these options very tempting, even after I keep Stafford and Brady (and thus would have limited use for a very-good-but-not-elite QB). Especially being down two picks in the first six rounds, this seems like an excellent way to make up ground after someone looks at the draft and realizes they have Mark Sanchez starting.

But then there's always the chance they stick to their rankings and refuse to trade, in which case I'm stuck with a top 20 overall scorer on my bench every week.
ahicks58
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions