The Mystery That is The Detroit Backfield - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Mystery That is The Detroit Backfield

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The Mystery That is The Detroit Backfield

Postby stomperrob » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:04 am

Jahvid Best's career in jeopardy after doctors refuse to clear him
5:15 PM, October 15, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports

On the eve of the one year anniversary of his last concussion, Jahvid Best and the Lions got the news they’d been dreading.

The third-year running back was not cleared to return to football after a consultation with team and national doctors Monday, leaving his season in doubt and his career in jeopardy.

“After today’s consultation with medical experts, including representatives from our medical and training staffs, it has been determined that Jahvid will not be permitted to return to play at this time,” Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said in a statement.

“Throughout this entire process we always have placed the highest priority on what is best for Jahvid from a health and safety standpoint. While today’s decision is disappointing from a football perspective, we fully and entirely respect and support this recommendation.”

Best has not played since Oct. 16 of last year when he suffered the second of two brain injuries two months apart.

He also had at least one serious concussion in college that cut short his career at Cal and caused several teams to remove him from their draft board.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20121015/S ... xt|Detroit Lions

Sudden drop on Lions' depth chart leaves RB Smith wondering
8:49 AM, October 16, 2012
By Dave Birkett
Detroit Free Press Sports

Kevin Smith went from starting running back to buried at the bottom of the depth chart in the span of a month, and he said there’s “probably nothing” he can do to get back in the playing rotation.

Smith, who scored the final two touchdowns in the Lions’ come-from-behind win over the Rams in Week 1, was inactive for Sunday’s overtime win over the Eagles.

He hasn’t had a carry since a Sept. 16 loss to the 49ers, but insists he’s not frustrated by his sudden demotion and remains motivated.

"I really haven’t gotten any answers (to why I’m not playing) so if you ask me it has nothing to do with my production,” Smith said. “Obviously, I’m healthy — I’m 100% healthy dating back to when I came back the last part of the season (from an ankle injury). You can look at the numbers, touchdowns or whatever. So I don’t think it has anything to do with that.

“Like I said, the coaches, they call the shots and I’m perfectly fine with that. I’ve never tried to politic. I always look at it like you always take a positive out of a negative and my time will come.”

Smith said he hasn’t asked coaches for an explanation why his playing time has waned.

con't...

more: http://www.freep.com/article/20121016/S ... xt|Detroit Lions
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Have to wonder what K Smith must have said or done (or not said or done) to get so deep into Schwartz's doghouse that he doesn't even dress.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 am

Mikel Leshoure (undisclosed) did not practice Wednesday.
In the third quarter of last week's win over the Seahawks, we spotted Leshoure limping off the field holding his calf. He never returned. Although tight-lipped coach Jim Schwartz claimed there was no injury, he was clearly hiding the truth once again. We now have to consider Leshoure questionable for Week 9, giving Joique Bell a possible feature back role against the Jaguars.
Related: Joique Bell
Source: Anwar Richardson on Twitter
Oct 31 - 11:39 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl ... layer-news
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 pm

yikes. Lions need someone to stay healthy. Rumors that newly acquired WR Mike Thomas from Jagtown may be used in the backfield, for swing passes one must presume.
Maybe K Smith will get another shot. Or just give Joique the damn ball! :-b Actually love that a guy from Wayne State college is getting some run. ;-D

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:08 pm

And another blow to Best and the Lions:

Adam Schefter wrote:No surprise but Lions announced RB Jahvid Best will not play this season. Bigger question: will he ever?

LINK
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Its a shame, but Best's career could easily be over. I cannot even rationalize how the league could allow his return. Sometimes people need protection from themselves. Mutliple concussions maybe one of those times.
At least the Lions did their job and traded for a RB. Wait, they traded for yet another WR.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 pm

And they finally release him:

Detroit Lions announce that they have released RB Jahvid Best
Posted Jul 17, 2013
Best played in 22 games (15 starts) for the Lions after being drafted by the team in the first round (30th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft

Allen Park, Mich.— The Detroit Lions announced today that they have released RB Jahvid Best.

Best played in 22 games (15 starts) for the Lions after being drafted by the team in the first round (30th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He saw action in all 16 games as a rookie in 2010, but was limited to only six games in 2011. Best was placed on Physically Unable to Perform on August 27, 2012 and missed the duration of the 2012 season.

“Jahvid is as fine a person and professional as I have ever worked with,” Lions Executive Vice-President of Football Operations and General Manager Martin Mayhew said. “He was the consummate teammate and always did everything asked of him. We wish Jahvid the very best in all his future endeavors and have no doubt that he will be successful in whatever path he chooses.”

“I want to thank the Detroit Lions organization for drafting me and giving me an opportunity to fulfill my dream and play in the National Football League,” Best said. “My time as a member of the Lions was a very special time in my life. My teammates, the members of the organization, the Lions fans and the people of Detroit will hold a special place in my heart. I’ll always be a Lion.”

In his two seasons with Detroit, Best totaled 945 rushing yards on 255 carries (3.7 avg) and six touchdowns, as well as 85 receptions for 774 yards (9.1 avg) and three touchdowns. His 88-yard touchdown run in the third quarter against the Bears on Monday Night Football (10/10) in 2011 ranks as the second-longest rush in franchise history.

In 2012, Best was selected as the recipient of the NFL’s Ed Block Courage Award, which recognizes players who overcome setbacks during their football careers.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/articl ... ddd1174676
stomperrob

Previous

Return to Football Talk