My draft results (Keeper League) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Roster Ratings

My draft results (Keeper League)

Moderator: Football Moderators

My draft results (Keeper League)

Postby brenglen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:25 am

5 Keepers: Drew Brees, Chris Johnson, Desean Johnson, DeMarius Thomas and Maurice Jones-Drew.

DRAFT Results (12 Man league, 14 Rounds).

1st Round (11th pick overall): Steve Smith WR (Car) : I brought him back after a great season with Cam Newton last year, surprised he was still available. Some guy drafted Dwyer in the first round.. yeah now i know why he was available.

2nd Round (17th pick overall VIA Trade): Reggie Wayne (WR IND): I have two 2nd round picks due to a Cedric Benson trade that I made last year. I thought of Andrew Luck throwing it to a reliable Veteran and I predict a solid bounce back for Wayne.

2nd Round (23rd Pick overall): Vernon Davis (TE SF): I have always liked Vernon Davis and I think it's Alex Smith's go to guy regardless who's at receiver. He was my top guy on my board and I felt Tight ends were gonna go quick in the 3rd which end up happening.

3rd Round pick (26th Overall VIA Trade): Ryan Williams (RB Ari): I have a big thing for Ryan Williams since he was at V-Tech and it crushed my heart that he got hurt last year two days before draft day. However, reports say he has bounced back and the available running backs were short. For example, the top 5 players who were available at the time were Roy Helu, Kendel Wright, BenJarvius Green-Elis, Willis McGahee and Deangelo Williams. I didn't like it one bit, give me the guy who is gonna beat out Beanie Wells... as long as he stays HEALTHY!

5th Round Pick (58th Pick overall VIA Trade: Mike Williams (WR TB): I wanted Titus Young to fall to me however he was taken 2 picks before mine so I traded down from the 4th round to 5th and 6th round. I wasn't sure what to do at this pick but I knew that something was brewing in Tampa. Freeman lost weight and I expect a bounceback. Mike Williams reported to camp stronger and slimmer, I also know that losing your #1 WR spot to Jackson was not going well with him so I figured that this would fuel the fire under him to get a good production.

6th Round pick (62nd Pick overall VIA): Alston Jeffery (WR Chi) I traded up in the 6th round just to go up a 4 spots up to get the Rookie out of South Carolina. I like Jeffery, infact he had a legit quarterback in his last year of college I think he would of went top 15 in the NFL Draft however he gets the chance to work with Cutler and I expect him to be 2nd WR on the team. I like his size and it's funny cause in 2006 at the 63rd pick overall I picked a rookie name Desean Jackson which the rest is history :)/

6th Round Pick (70th pick overall): LeGarrett Blount (RB TB): I hated this pick so bad however there was no one left that could have a legitment shot of getting Goal line carries. Names like Michael Bush, Bernard Scott, Pierre Thomas and my favorite Ronnie Hillman were available. However, I felt Ronnie Hillman might be a stretch at this pick especially with Lance Ball and Knowshaun Moreno still in the mix. I decided to go with Blount, he lost 13 Pounds and according to coaches he is "Faster"..whatever. Threw dice to see what would happen.

8th Round (83rd Pick overall VIA Trade): Green Bay Packers Defense: The Ravens, Falcons, Eagles, Lions, Texans and bears were all taken. It was either New England or the Packers but I love me some Don Capers 3-4 Defense so I decided to take a shot with them.

10th Round (VIA Trade): Alex Smith (QB SF): I traded up because all the starting Quarterbacks were getting snagged and I wanted a legit backup QB for Drew Brees just incase. It was between Flacco, Locker and Smith, I like Locker however I think he would be a can't miss pick next season. I never liked Flacco and Alex Smith can develop into a top 10 fantasy QB with the "weapons" he has.

12th Round: Delone Carter (RB IND): Carter was a sleeper last year, fail. This year there is hope especially with coaches becoming impatient with Donald Brown.

12th Round (VIA Trade): Terrance Gannaway (RB NYJ): Gannaway looked legit at Baylor, I loved the way he picked up the blocks and ran between the tackles. He has average hands but going to the Jets was the best spot for him especially with Shonne Greene injury prone and LT retiring. I don't like Joe McKnight and I think Gannaway has a chance to step in.

12th Round (VIA Trade): Dustin Keller (TE NYJ): Another Jet taker, yes I might be dropping him by week 6 or sooner especially if Tebow takes over however I like him and Sanz to do something. It was either him, Winslow, M.Lewis or Olson.

13th Round: Rashed Jennings (RB Jax): Again, another player that I probably will be dropping by week 2 however with the Maurice Jones-Drew holdout, its better to be safe then sorry. I heard how well he is "Impressing" coaches at training camp but it might be a PR move towards MJD.

14th Round pick: Garrett Hartley (K NO): Needed a Kicker.. enough said.

This year's draft was horrible, the availaibity of running backs were slim compared to last year when I walked away with Cedric Benson, Marshaun Lynch, and Fred Jackson. Maybe I was spoiled, not sure but players like Richardson, Martin, Wilson, Jackson and Bradshaw went in the first round. After it was players like Bush, Spiller and Stewart going in the 2nd round. This is an example of how light our running back pools were and I am not one who will be reaching for Spiller and Bush not to mention a mess in Carolina.

Anyways what do you think? anything you didn't like? Grade?

thanks
Keeper League
QB: D. Brees, A.Smith
RB: C.Johnson, M-D Jones, Ry.Williams, D.Brown, De. Williams.
WR:D.Jackson, S.Smith (Car), D.Thomas, R. Wayne, A.Roberts, A.Jeffery, R.Moss
TE: V.Davis

Start:1QB,2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1D, 1K
brenglen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: My draft results (Keeper League)

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Not enough depth at RB - at this point in training camp Chris Johnson is your only RB with a guaranteed starting job. Ryan Williams is good but he'll have to beat out Beanie Wells, most likely they will be a RBBC this season. Blount was unimpressive last season and that's why the Bucs drafted Doug Martin who has looked good so far - looks like another RBBC situation with Martin getting a bigger share of the workload. Carter is part of a crowd behind Donald Brown fighting for reps - rookie Vick Ballard could emerge as the #2 in that backfield. Jennings is good insurance for MJD in case his holdout continues - most likely MJD will report and Jennings only value then is in case MJD gets injured.

You have a good stable of WR's - I would try and trade one for a solid RB.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby brenglen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:02 pm

stomperrob wrote:Not enough depth at RB - at this point in training camp Chris Johnson is your only RB with a guaranteed starting job. Ryan Williams is good but he'll have to beat out Beanie Wells, most likely they will be a RBBC this season. Blount was unimpressive last season and that's why the Bucs drafted Doug Martin who has looked good so far - looks like another RBBC situation with Martin getting a bigger share of the workload. Carter is part of a crowd behind Donald Brown fighting for reps - rookie Vick Ballard could emerge as the #2 in that backfield. Jennings is good insurance for MJD in case his holdout continues - most likely MJD will report and Jennings only value then is in case MJD gets injured.

You have a good stable of WR's - I would try and trade one for a solid RB.

I completely agree with you. I had the opportunity to get Beanie Wells but I just dont like the potential he brings. I will do my best to make a trade, a lot of teams are short handed on running backs as well.

Here are the available free agent running backs :/
Mike Tolbert, Car
Ryan Grant, FA
Brandon Jacobs, SF
Jason Snelling, Atl RB
Bernard Pierce, Bal
Danny Woodhead, NE
Leon Washington, Sea
Dion Lewis, Phi RB
Dexter McCluster, KC RB
Joe McKnight, NYJ RB
Alex Green, GB RB
Kahlil Bell, Chi RB
Montario Hardesty, Cle RB
Keeper League

brenglen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Jacobs could get some red zone action - a handful of TD's is possible, but not many yards. McCluster will be primarily a WR this year, not sure what his numbers will be with the change, but someone to keep an eye on - if he performs well and your league site lists him as RB/WR you can plug him in at RB. Alex Green is intriguing - Packers have already shown displeasure with Starks by picking up Cedric Benson off the scrap heap - I think Benson is merely insurance and a stopgap until they are sure Green is healthy and as good as they think he is - he may start off slow but could be the #1 in GB a few games in if Benson turns out to be over the hill. Pierce could be #2 in BAL, but won't see much action unless Rice gets injured, but Rice has proved very durable and is not an injury risk like some guys. Hardesty could have value if Richardson has any more knee problems - I could see him being the lead back the first few games until they are certain Richardson is 100% and maybe later in the season too if the knee problems return.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby brenglen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:28 am

stomperrob wrote:Jacobs could get some red zone action - a handful of TD's is possible, but not many yards. McCluster will be primarily a WR this year, not sure what his numbers will be with the change, but someone to keep an eye on - if he performs well and your league site lists him as RB/WR you can plug him in at RB. Alex Green is intriguing - Packers have already shown displeasure with Starks by picking up Cedric Benson off the scrap heap - I think Benson is merely insurance and a stopgap until they are sure Green is healthy and as good as they think he is - he may start off slow but could be the #1 in GB a few games in if Benson turns out to be over the hill. Pierce could be #2 in BAL, but won't see much action unless Rice gets injured, but Rice has proved very durable and is not an injury risk like some guys. Hardesty could have value if Richardson has any more knee problems - I could see him being the lead back the first few games until they are certain Richardson is 100% and maybe later in the season too if the knee problems return.

In other words, nothing lol. Yeah, I agree only scraps. I thought Curtis Brinkley could shed some light but im not sure especially with Ronnie Brown's chances at carrying the boatload. There isn't very much room in a trade at this moment, especially when teams just got their backup running backs. I inquired about Greene cause that was the only 3rd RB that I could find worth tradeable. Players like Bush, Starks, Green-Elis, Spiller, K.Smith, Ridley, D. Williams..etc. are huge gambles especially if i'm giving up a WR, Draft pick and RB in the trade. F.Jackson and Wells went first round this year.
Keeper League

brenglen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Roster Ratings