Setting Draft Order to Inverse of Strength: How Determine? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Setting Draft Order to Inverse of Strength: How Determine?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Setting Draft Order to Inverse of Strength: How Determine?

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:18 pm

ESPN League
Keeper League, Up to 2 Keepers, Both Optional

Final Standings or Total Points to set draft order?

When desiring to set the draft order to the inverse order of the teams strength as determined in the prior years play; do you like to use the final standings, or some other stat?

The final standings are determined by playoff wins and loses. There is a certain amount of luck in getting to the playoffs and also in determining the playoff winners.

How about using Total Points scored during the year to set the draft order? This would be a truer measure of a teams strength as it is based on the sum of every game of the regular season.
Last edited by TomBrooklyn on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Setting Draft Order to Inverse of Strength: How Determin

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 am

I prefer going with final standings - makes it more like the NFL, doesn't matter how many points a team scores, just wins.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Hags888 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 am

We always used to do the redraft with random draft order each year. But this year we decided to start using Final Standings. However, as a twist, rather than just going 1-12 based on worst finish to best finish, we decided to let everyone choose their draft ranking. So, last place gets to choose what draft spot they want, then 2nd to last picks the next available spot, and so on, until the first place team gets whatever is left. Some people thought that finishing in 6th place (for example) might net them the worst draft spot in a Snake draft, which wasn't necessarily fair.

Anyway, just throwing some additional ideas out there for you.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Willie P » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:18 am

I agree with hags, my league decided to do the "pick your draft position" this year as well. It didn't change much (#1 choosed to pick 3rd, #2 choosed 1st, #3 choosed 2nd, and everyone just picked the highest after that) But it gives owners a little something to think about before the draft. Also, since your league is not a keeper league, I would go with final standings rather than points.
Willie P Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby murphysxm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:03 am

Hags888 wrote:We always used to do the redraft with random draft order each year. But this year we decided to start using Final Standings. However, as a twist, rather than just going 1-12 based on worst finish to best finish, we decided to let everyone choose their draft ranking. So, last place gets to choose what draft spot they want, then 2nd to last picks the next available spot, and so on, until the first place team gets whatever is left. Some people thought that finishing in 6th place (for example) might net them the worst draft spot in a Snake draft, which wasn't necessarily fair.

Anyway, just throwing some additional ideas out there for you.

I am a fan of this process. I have a league like this, done on random draw though, I pulled 4th. Didn't want that pick so looked at my draft board and found the lowest spot I would be happy with that guy on my team and picked slot 7. Everybody has different approaches and it adds some strategy right off the bat.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby TomBrooklyn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:00 pm

Hags888 wrote: Final Standings. However, as a twist, rather than just going 1-12 based on worst finish to best finish, we decided to let everyone choose their draft ranking. So, last place gets to choose what draft spot they want, then 2nd to last picks the next available spot, and so on, until the first place team gets whatever is left.
So this is premised on the idea that in a snake draft, the first pick is not necessarily the best pick.

Hags888 wrote: Some people thought that finishing in 6th place (for example) might net them the worst draft spot in a Snake draft, which wasn't necessarily fair.
What is the worst draft position; or is there such a position that can be said to be worst for all drafts?
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hags888 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:36 am

TomBrooklyn wrote:
Hags888 wrote: Final Standings. However, as a twist, rather than just going 1-12 based on worst finish to best finish, we decided to let everyone choose their draft ranking. So, last place gets to choose what draft spot they want, then 2nd to last picks the next available spot, and so on, until the first place team gets whatever is left.
So this is premised on the idea that in a snake draft, the first pick is not necessarily the best pick.

Hags888 wrote: Some people thought that finishing in 6th place (for example) might net them the worst draft spot in a Snake draft, which wasn't necessarily fair.
What is the worst draft position; or is there such a position that can be said to be worst for all drafts?

There's no absolute here. Personally, in a 12-teamer, think spots 8-10 are the worst. I would much rather have 11th or 12th rather than 8, 9 or 10. I would be more than happy with the 1st pick, but not everyone thinks that. It just depends on personal preference, and strategy. Not everyone agrees than 1 through 12 represents best draft spot to worst.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Commissioner's Corner