Which Keeper? Rice (rd 1), Gronk (rd 14) WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Which Keeper? Rice (rd 1), Gronk (rd 14) WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which Keeper? Rice (rd 1), Gronk (rd 14) WHIR

Postby Blackhawk » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:27 pm

I have the 12th pick in a standard scoring nfl.com league. Start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, RB/WR, TE, K, DST.
We are allowed 1 keeper that will be counted against the round we drafted them last year. Can only keep them for one year.
I am debating between keeping Ray Rice as my 1st round pick and Rob Gronkowski as my 14th round pick (yes I took him that late last year)

Obviously, Gronk is a steal and a half as a 14th round pick. But, IMO there are only a few true workhorse RB's out there and getting Rice as the 12th pick is also a steal. Rice has proven to be a consistent fantasy performer and I wonder if D's won't adjust to the TE attack. So, I'm leaning toward Rice. Good choice or not? What do you think?

WHIR
Thanks in advance.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for this awesome sig!
Blackhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Which Keeper? Rice (rd 1), Gronk (rd 14) WHIR

Postby Conrax » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I am going to assume this is a snake draft which would mean if you took Rice you would lose the 12th pick but would still have the 13th pick. I would choose Rice because there a not a lot of elite RBs out there, and then you could take Gronk for your 13th pick if he is still there. Because if there is an indication from doing some mock drafts already Gronk has been going in the second round, particularly if it is PPR. And also the Patriots have too many weapons, Brady can throw it to Hernandez, Gronk, Welker, Lloyd so it basically pick your poison, what made Gronk so good is that he would get the majority of the Red Zone targets.

Help with mine:
viewtopic.php?t=515145
Conrax
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Blackhawk » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:43 pm

The assumption on the snake draft is correct. I would still have the 13th pick.

Thanks for the reply
Thanks to Guttpuppy for this awesome sig!
Blackhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spread eagles » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Conrax wrote:I am going to assume this is a snake draft which would mean if you took Rice you would lose the 12th pick but would still have the 13th pick. I would choose Rice because there a not a lot of elite RBs out there, and then you could take Gronk for your 13th pick if he is still there. Because if there is an indication from doing some mock drafts already Gronk has been going in the second round, particularly if it is PPR. And also the Patriots have too many weapons, Brady can throw it to Hernandez, Gronk, Welker, Lloyd so it basically pick your poison, what made Gronk so good is that he would get the majority of the Red Zone targets.

Help with mine:
viewtopic.php?t=515145

But, what if someone like SJAX, Adrian Peterson, Drew Brees, Brady was available then the OP would potentially have something like this after two rounds:

Brees or Brady
Adrian Peterson/SJAX
Gronk

vs.
Brady or WR-R. White/G. Jennings
R. Rice

The second option has a lot of eggs in one basket.

This is coming from a R. Rice owner for 3 years as a keeper that I'm having to throw back this year due to contract expiring.
spread eagles
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 25)

Postby bearsfan012512 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:04 pm

I don't see how you could pass up Gronk and only lose a 14th round pick. Yes the RBs are fairly shallow but if that were me Gronk would be too much to pass up.
bearsfan012512
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Fasteddy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:17 pm

I Love Brady but I'm not picking any other NE players this year other than Ridely as a #3 RB.

Just WAY too many mouths to feed and all will suffer. Now they are looking at Burress.. Everyone will suffer this year and if Bardy get hurt ....then they are all nobodys.

Stick with Rice... IMO

By the way... I agree that GREAT teams won't be drafted this year. The will rise up from depth which is why I want lots of average picks for depth.
If you love something, let it go....
If it loves you, it will come back to you...
If it doesn't come back to you...
You can always hunt it down and kill it....
Fasteddy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Chrischm » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Tough choice.

I would say keep Ray Rice as your keeper. 12th pick for Ray Rice is worth it.

You still get 13th pick, and if everyone is grabbing top RBs/QBs up you could even scoop up Gronk. I've seem him go incredibly early in some mock drafts.
Chrischm
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby TruNinerFan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:28 am

I would keep Rice. He is going #1 overall in some drafts and you are getting him for the 12th pick. Gronk is great value, but you can find solid TE's in the draft. You won't get a RB like Rice late in the first/early 2nd.

thanks to Franchise Fan for the sig!!!!!
TruNinerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby Tosabigdog » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:13 pm

I agree with keeping Rice with the 12th pick. If you feel you have to have Gronk, he'll be available at 13 although I think there will be better choices. I agree with whoever said there are too many options in NE.
Tosabigdog
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philly_05 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 pm

I would go with Rice. It's nice that you have the 13th pick so it's not rough on you keeping the 1st rounder this year. The entire idea of Gronk in the 14th is awesome. But the rule that you can only keep him for 1 year defeats the entire idea of getting a steal in the late rounds if you just have to throw him back 1 year later.
QB- Roethlisberger, Rivers, Foles
RB- McCoy, Lynch, L James, Ivory, F Jackson, D Thomas, Turbin
WR- Julio, Bowe, D Bryant, D Jax, Amendola, Broyles, Gordon, Hill
TE- Celek, D Allen
DEF- Giants
K- Zuerlin
D- D Washington, S Weatherspoon, L Kuechly
Philly_05
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball