Need a 2nd round pick. Stafford or Murray - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Need a 2nd round pick. Stafford or Murray

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need a 2nd round pick. Stafford or Murray

Postby sbeaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 am

In the 2nd rd of a 12 team PPR, drafting from the #7 position, took McCoy in rd 1, not sure who to pick in rd 2, QBs Rodgers, Brady, Bree's, newton are gone, stafford is there, rbs Murray, steven Jackso,n Richardson, are there, wideouts, Jennings, roddy white, welker and TE gronk is there. Pass TDs are 4 pts. Was debating between stafford and demarco Murray, what do you think? One or them or someone else?
sbeaz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need a 2nd round pick. Stafford or Murray

Postby LMack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:36 am

I think Stafford is generally a good value in the second round however I do not love him here. You play in a league that devalues quarterbacks relative to other positions here due to the PPR scoring and 4 points per passing TDs.

It all depends on your risk tolerance. DeMarco Murray would actually be considered a value pick there as he is going at the back end of the first round in PPR leagues according to the ADPs from FFCalc, but he of course comes with injury and fluke risk issues.

If you are an owner who is generally conservative with your early round picks, Stafford (and even to a lesser degree, Gronk) would be a solid anchor to your team. If you are willing to take a bit of a chance, that is a solid spot for DeMarco Murray. It all comes down to your ideology.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 am

Welker. That's a steal. Welker is a first round WR in PPR, no questions asked. I'd take him
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sbeaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks for the well thought ours response, I see exactly what your saying about being safe, and dealing with risk. Ryan Mattews is there too, he's another option who falls in that risk category. But not sure I want a guy hurt already with my 18th overall pick. I can see the welker pick as a good pick, I just think maybe the drop off in the RBs is gonna be much greater when my next pick comes up, versus that of WR, although you only need to start 1 RB if u wish, you can start 1 RB or 3 rbs and 1 WR or 3 WRs, or 2 and 2. Any more comments would be appreciated
sbeaz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jason497 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:50 am

I love Demarco Murray this year, he's a top 10 RB for 2012. I think only an injury will keep him from that distinction, although he's hurt every year so that's a very real possibility, but in the 2nd round I'd be willing to roll the dice. He's got a 50 rec upside and huge yardage upside, think Matt Forte with a lot more risk and a few extra goalline carries.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby sbeaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 am

So yeah, I think I am going to pass on stafford, any more thoughts on Murray or welker? Think I am down to either or
sbeaz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LMack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 am

sbeaz wrote:So yeah, I think I am going to pass on stafford, any more thoughts on Murray or welker? Think I am down to either or

Wes Welker's PPR value is huge. He is a target monster and should remain the top option on a pass heavy offense led by one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Welker is as sure of a bet for 100 catches as there is in the NFL. Due to his skillset, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he outscored DeMarco Murray in this scoring format. Actually, I would be surprised if Welker didn't outscore Murray in this format.

However, running back dries up a lot more quickly than wide receiver and you have to pay a bit of a premium to get elite talent at the position. I would go DeMarco Murray here.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby sbeaz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 am

Yep, I'll update, who a picked and what Is there at my next pick, think I will go Murray, well see what wideouts are there with my next pick
sbeaz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions