WR vs RB Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

WR vs RB Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

WR vs RB Question

Postby jbbiggdogg » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Auction $250 cap. Standard scoring. Start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K.

With the NFL "airing it out" these days is it a good idea to go after 3 of the top 5 WR and lose out on the chance to pick up a top 5 RB. Is it worth the risk to get say Megatron, Fitz and Roddy White/Andre Johnson and lose out on Foster, McCoy, MJD, CJ2K or Rice?
jbbiggdogg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: WR vs RB Question

Postby LMack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Are you talking about getting one of the receivers in question or all three?

I certainly wouldn't aim for multiple tier 1 receivers, but it is very justifiable to spend on one of them. I would be cautious and not overpay, though, as there are likely cheaper WR options to be had later in the auction and the same can't necessarily be said about running backs.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby jbbiggdogg » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:13 pm

LMack wrote:Are you talking about getting one of the receivers in question or all three?

I certainly wouldn't aim for multiple tier 1 receivers, but it is very justifiable to spend on one of them. I would be cautious and not overpay, though, as there are likely cheaper WR options to be had later in the auction and the same can't necessarily be said about running backs.

Would be looking at all 3. Obviously I would not be willing to overpay for multiple guys but if the price is right to get all three is it worth the gamble?
jbbiggdogg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LMack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:19 pm

jbbiggdogg wrote:
LMack wrote:Are you talking about getting one of the receivers in question or all three?

Would be looking at all 3. Obviously I would not be willing to overpay for multiple guys but if the price is right to get all three is it worth the gamble?

Perhaps in years past or in a league that awards points per reception this would give you an edge, but in this instance I don't believe it would. That's not to say that spending on the receivers would be a bad investment. In fact, you'd probably get the production you paid for. However, you'd find yourself hamstrung at RB and behind the 8 ball compared to some other teams.

You would have a hard time competing against the team that spent on RB and took a flier on the Jordy Nelsons late in the draft or picked up the Antonio Browns and Laurent Robinsons during the season. Now there are RBs that can emerge and become productive, but not as frequently as its seen at the WR position.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby jbbiggdogg » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks LMack, those were the words of reinforcemnt I needed to here.
jbbiggdogg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions