Planning my draft in a keeper league - Can this team win? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Planning my draft in a keeper league - Can this team win?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Planning my draft in a keeper league - Can this team win?

Postby V » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm in a keeper league, with the 2nd pick of each round; teams lose draft picks for specific rounds in which they keep players (round/2 from prior year (so Gronkowski was a 12 round pick last year, 6th this year, 3rd next year, then 2nd the next)).

Anyhoo, the first round is going to have 7 keepers (guy with 1st pick will let Brees go to free agency, then will re-draft him). I have traded my 6th+7th rounders for 4th+10th rounders.

I've gone through the way I think the draft will go. Unfortunately my choice at 1.02 is pretty limited (Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Darren McFadden, Larry Fitzgerald, Matt Forte, Greg Jennings, Marshawn Lynch, Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Trent Richardson, Jamaal Charles). After keepers, my next pick is the 7th (so I'm the 1st and 8th picks overall). So, here's my plan.

Standard, non-PPR, 12 team league:
QB: Tony Romo or Matt Ryan (4th round)
RB: Chris Johnson (1st round)
RB: Jamaal Charles (2nd round)
WR: Brandon Marshall (3rd round)
WR: Brandon Lloyd (4th round)
WR: DeSean Jackson (5th round)
TE: Jacob Tamme (9th round or so)
(8th round used on a good RB bench guy (Hillis most likely))

Is this good enough to win? Or should I play around with trading draft picks to try to win in 2013?
V
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Planning my draft in a keeper league - Can this team win

Postby V » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Bueller?
V
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dagnuk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Yes. That team should be competitive in a 12 team league.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby spread eagles » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 pm

QB: Tony Romo or Matt Ryan (4th round) how many QBs will be off the board in the 4th---if 8, maybe you draft QB in the 5th and take best available player in the 4th.
RB: Chris Johnson (1st round) ok
RB: Jamaal Charles (2nd round) i like
WR: Brandon Marshall (3rd round) i like
WR: Brandon Lloyd (4th round) not so much, maybe it is just me though...
WR: DeSean Jackson (5th round) i like

I would go TE in the 8th depending on what is there...if you are going for Tamme in the 9th I would wait until the 10th or 11th as TE's are very deep this year.
spread eagles
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby V » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:40 pm

spread eagles wrote:QB: Tony Romo or Matt Ryan (4th round) how many QBs will be off the board in the 4th---if 8, maybe you draft QB in the 5th and take best available player in the 4th.
RB: Chris Johnson (1st round) ok
RB: Jamaal Charles (2nd round) i like
WR: Brandon Marshall (3rd round) i like
WR: Brandon Lloyd (4th round) not so much, maybe it is just me though...
WR: DeSean Jackson (5th round) i like

I would go TE in the 8th depending on what is there...if you are going for Tamme in the 9th I would wait until the 10th or 11th as TE's are very deep this year.

QBs kept: Brees/Brady/Rodgers (all 1st rounders, so it's not like the owners got a ton of value), Eli (4.10), Stafford (5.08), Vick (5.12), Cam Newton (8.11; will be a 4th rounder next year, and 2nd the next year). In all, 23 top-50 players were kept. So by the time my 4.02 pick rolls around, we're actually at the point in the draft the Romo/Peyton/Ryan/Rivers squad would go, and 5 teams need QBs. The other 4 pick between my 4.02 and 4.08 picks.

The first one to blink is going to be left out, and will have to spend two picks in order to scrounge a QBBC (Big Ben, Cutler, RG3, Matt Schaub, Freeman). I'm not opposed to that (in fact, I may prefer to go QBBC with Ryan+RG3), but it puts you in a bad spot.

My plan's linchpin is at 2.02. There are 3 RBs that will be taken right before I pick at 2.02, and their choices are Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Trent Richardson, MJD, Marshawn Lynch. Of those five, Jamaal is my favorite. Not sure what I do at 2.02 if he's gone, as I'm not thrilled with the other 4.
V
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions