Complicated Draft Choices. WHIR 100% - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Complicated Draft Choices. WHIR 100%

Moderator: Football Moderators

Complicated Draft Choices. WHIR 100%

Postby l1sten » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:18 pm

So here's my situation. Currently, I am scheduled to keep Ray Rice and Antonio Gates. The price I pay for them are my 3rd and 5th round picks. I am drafting 11th of 12 in a league with standard scoring other than 6 point passing tds and .5 ppr. We start QB/RB/RB/Flex/WR/WR/TE/DST/K..
I have four scenarios but I can't really decide which is best. Around my draft pick, with the keepers the way they are and the obligations of the other owners, I am looking at possibly Peterson and McFadden for the best available to me. The guy I'm sandwiching will go RB/WR but likely not grab one of those two.

1) I keep Rice, draft McFadden and Peterson and have a crazy RB 1 and 2 and Flex. The problem here is that I then have QB, and both WR's to seek for my lineup and only the 4th round to do it before I'm drafting people in the middle rounds and keeping my fingers crossed that they can come up big. I don't have a problem with QBBC but can suitable WR's be found at this level? Who should I target?

2) I keep Rice and draft one of DMC or Peterson and just draft someone like hakeem nicks, who I could probably also have. I'm passing on players I really feel are tremendous value, but its making my team more whole. I could potentially also get a guy like Mike Vick here. I could also probably still have Doug Martin in the fourth, which would leave me of a first five consisting of Rice, DMC/ADP, Martin, Nicks (or someone along that line), Gates.

3) I keep Rice, draft Peterson, DMC and Doug martin, and have no QB or WR spoken for until the 6th. I would do this to try and get more out of a trade than anything, but I am high on all four guys, so value based drafting seems like this wins out... especially b/c all four guys really seem like they'll have rolls that very few players will have and other teams will be in dire need of RB.

4) (the only real different one) I trade Rice to the 1.1 draft holder, take Brady, who will be the best QB available after keepers, then draft McFadden and ADP then possibly Doug in the 4. Is this the best option here?

I honestly wouldn't even ask this if not for my fear that the league's 6 point passing TD's greatly inflates QB's worth, so I almost feel obligated to try to maximize the slot.

I realize this is incredibly complicated, and I am truly in your debt for slogging through it. WHIR 100%. Thanks guys.
l1sten
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Complicated Draft Choices. WHIR 100%

Postby cope09 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 am

I like option 1, depending on how confident are you that DMC (aka Glass Joe) won't break by week 5? Under this option, you've fulfilled 3 of your starting 9 with studs all outside of a RBBC situation. That's impressive in itself given the turn toward RBBC the league has taken. Look for a top tier 2 WR, like B.Lloyd, Marshall, Colston. As far as QB...I would take a gamble on P.Manning in a later round. He's likely to be available and has plenty of weapons in Denver to put up top QB numbers once again.

Option 2, gives you 2 of nine with one of your receivers, of a tier 2/3 type. While it might be well rounded, you won't get the same numbers you will out of 3 stud RBs. Vick might still be available in Opt 1 as well.

Options 3...possible given my Manning proposal above but, I don't think he'll be there by 6.

Option 4...it's tempting but, I wouldn't want to lose Rice.

Good luck:
viewtopic.php?t=515371
cope09
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 26)

Postby nightfox422 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:19 am

Option 1.

I would not trade Rice, he is amazing value at that spot.

I think you can find good value at WR in the mid rounds, guys who catch a lot of balls.
And for QB, not knowing who may be kept, there is value later. Guys Like Matt Ryan, Eli, Romo, Rivers. I would be happy with any of those guys.
nightfox422
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic

Postby murphysxm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:22 am

I'd keep Rice, draft DMC and a WR. WR is deep, but I still want to draft one before round 4.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions