Draft Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Draft Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Strategy

Postby FozzyBear84 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:46 am

Question for all you fantasy gurus out there. I have been debating my first round pick as "best available" player. Which would mean either one of the top 3 RBs, one of the top 3 Qbs or Megatron. Let's just say for arguments sake I would be a top 7 pick and have that opportunity. After looking at last year's scoring, 12 of the top 15 scorers were QB's. My question is this; with so many QBs scoring so high, would you go after RBs in the first two rounds and wait on a QB?

BTW: League set up is as follows - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex. Passing TDs = 6pts. 1 pt per recpt.
FozzyBear84
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft Strategy

Postby murphysxm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:09 am

Welcome to the Cafe!

Yours is a question that will have different opinions. For me personally, there is more depth at the QB position this year so I am targeting RB''s early. The key is to be flexible enough to adapt in your draft because either approach can work, but locking in one pre draft can kill your team.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby nightfox422 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:19 am

Here is my way of looking at it.
While Many QBs may end up at the top of the overall points list at the end of the season, that does not make they a good value in the first round.

RBs are huge in round one mainly because the difference between the top teir and the mid tier is greater. Every team has a full time QB. Not many teams these days have a Full time RB. Many have gone committee. If you can get a full time every down RB, that is huge.

A Top QB might average 22-25 point a week in your league, but that does not make him more valuable than the top tier RB who averages 18-20 points a week. That is because in the mid rounds, you can get a QB that averages 17-19 points a week, but the RBs at that level might only average 8-12 points a week.

WRs are a plenty. I personally wont draft a QB till round 7-8 at the earliest, as I dont see the value at the position. I think a 7th round QB will average maybe 3-5 points less per week than the first round QB. I would take the first 5 rounds and just pick best available at either WR/RB.

Check out mine?
viewtopic.php?t=515381
nightfox422
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafeholic

Postby FozzyBear84 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 pm

I agree that going into a draft with a set plan can kill you, I am just wondering what others thoughts are. Yes, I agree that the difference between a mid tier QB and a mid tier RB and extreme. I guess now the question becomes, what falls into the mid tier category? Big Ben? Shaub? Eli?
FozzyBear84
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby shmity72 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:56 pm

if i can get brees late first or stafford late second..i take them. ;-D otherwise best avail. rb
QB: Russell Wilson, sam bradford
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, Demarco Murray, jacquizz Rodgers, mcgahee
WR: Torrey Smith, Chris Givens, DeAndre Hopkins, Anquan Boldin,
TE: Vernon Davis
DST: Patriots
K:Dan Bailey cowboys

championship here I come.
shmity72
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 52)