2nd pick in the draft - WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

2nd pick in the draft - WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

2nd pick in the draft - WHIR

Postby joejlitz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 pm

10 team; no ppr; 6 pt TDs for passing/receiving/rushing

I've got the 2nd pick in the draft, so I can come away with Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, or Ray Rice.

But, passing TDs are 6 pts each, so I'm seriously considering taking Rogers.

Should I forgo one of the big 3?

WHIR
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2nd pick in the draft - WHIR

Postby Red Winger » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 am

If you were pick 5, I would say go Rodgers, however, those big 3 RBs are in rare company nowadays. The dropoff in consistency after them is HUGE, and the floor on them is higher than most RB's ceilings. I would target a high tier QB in round 2 if one of the top 4 are available (and they should be).
The key to a winning season is focusing on one opponent at a time. Winning one week at a time. Never look back and never look ahead.
Chuck Noll
Red Winger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Wow... tough decision. Still, I'd take Rodgers since he WILL be the top scorer in your league this year if all TDs=6. And, in a 10 team league, you might even be able to get someone like DMC with your 2nd round pick. Rodgers and a healthy DMC would be a killer combination in your no PPR 6pt TD league.

Help me in return? viewtopic.php?t=515445
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mr.Joshua » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:35 am

In a 10 team league, I would definitely go Foster/Rice. You will have no problem getting a top 5-6 qb in the 3rd/4th round ;-D
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby Sex Panther » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:45 am

joejlitz wrote:10 team; no ppr; 6 pt TDs for passing/receiving/rushing

I've got the 2nd pick in the draft, so I can come away with Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, or Ray Rice.

But, passing TDs are 6 pts each, so I'm seriously considering taking Rogers.

Should I forgo one of the big 3?

WHIR

1 of the 3 RB (Personally I have Foster/Rice/McCoy).

At 2.09, there is a fairly decent shot Stafford will be there.

Nothing would suck worse than going Rodgers at 1.02 and seeing Stafford on the board at 2.09.

My 2 cents.
Kate Upton's Husband - dead
Mr. Blonde - champ
Yo Soy Fiesta - dead
Old South - champ
Full of Fanta Tonight - champ
Sex Panther (SB) - dead
Sex Panther (FF) - dead
Sex Panther (IBL) - dead
Sex Panther (Dynasty) dead
Sex Panther
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby BurritoBoy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 pm

I would pick one of the big 3 unless it was a 2 QB league. The RBs are much rarer than a QB, there only needs to be about 10-15 legitimate QBs per league, but each team will have at least 3 RBs.

In 10 team leagues I've seen Stafford go anywhere from 12, all the way to 30. But if he's there at 19 I would definitely grab him. Or you could wait for when your 4/5 flip comes up, and "reach" for a guy in the next tier of QB. Most will go in that early 5 through end of 6 range, so I wouldn't consider it a reach if you took Matt Ryan there, who has looked killer this preseason, with the knowledge he won't be there for your next pick. This way you could load up on the good RBs and WRs, then grab a top 6 QB to form a solid lineup.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Mudd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:45 pm

I agree with most. I would definitely take one of the big 3 RB's you have listed. I'm not one to spend high picks on QB's, and I've played in a 6 pt for all TD's, 10 team league for 13 years. I ALWAYS get a good QB late. I think I got Stafford in round 6 or 7 last year. He won't last that long, but there are many lower top tier, high second tier guys that will be plenty good for you. Especially when you have one of the best players in FFB (Foster/Rice/McCoy).
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Devil Doc » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm against the grain on this, I think Rodgers is the pick here with QBs getting 6pts/TD. Yeah, none of the "big 3" RBs will be there, but I think that you'll have an oppertunity to get a second tier set of RBs that will go good enough with Rodgers that you'll compete.
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 92)

Postby Indibuck » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Joe, I have to agree with the others. Especially in a 10-team league, the smart play is the elite RB at 1.02 based on VBD principles.

But it's your team, and Rodgers is the best bet on the entire board to put up elite numbers IMHO... so it's not like you're really reaching if you do grab him.

Can you trade down to the 1.04?
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Red Winger wrote:If you were pick 5, I would say go Rodgers, however, those big 3 RBs are in rare company nowadays. The dropoff in consistency after them is HUGE, and the floor on them is higher than most RB's ceilings. I would target a high tier QB in round 2 if one of the top 4 are available (and they should be).

Im in complete agreement with this. Id wait and hope to get Stafford or so if you are set on getting a top QB. I have #5 in my draft in a 12 teamer and im still debating Chris Johnson over Rodgers. This league will have 18 rb's drafted by Rd 2 though.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions