Starting a 20 team league & looking for advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Starting a 20 team league & looking for advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Starting a 20 team league & looking for advice

Postby BlueNGold » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm starting up a 20 team league this season. I've never run a 20 teamer before, much less a basic 10-12 team league, so I'm still in the process of trying to figure out what the right set-up should be in a league this big. Any advice would be welcome.

It's a basic, head-to-head scoring system on ESPN's LeagueManager. 4 pts for a passing TD, 6 for a rushing TD, etc. Everything scoring-wise is pretty much default except for 3 point bonuses for QBs throwing for 400+ yards, RBs rushing for 200+ yards and WRs going over 200+ yards receiving. It's also looking like it'll be a snake draft as I've held a poll for the other owners to decide if it's going to be a snake or auction draft and it's 6-1 in favor of the snake draft right now.

I set an 8 team playoff system with the top two teams in the 4 divisions qualifying and they run from Week 14-Week 16 (1 round per week).

Now what I'm really struggling to finalize before things get going is what kind of roster outline/limit we'll be using. Obviously with a 20 team league, the talent pool is going to get thin and that's what I'm trying to combat. I want there to be a decent waiver wire so interest will remain week to week but I don't know if this is me biting off more than I can chew.

The roster setup I'm looking at right now is 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST, 1 K, 4 bench spots. There's a max of 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 4 WRs, 2 TEs, 2 D/ST, and 2 Ks.. Because I'm still relatively new to fantasy football (only played 2 seasons), I was hoping I could get some help in this area and that I could better understand the logic behind having certain roster numbers.

Thanks.
BlueNGold
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Starting a 20 team league & looking for advice

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Personally I think a 20 team league is too large, especially since this is your first shot at running a league - I would start with a 12 or 14 team this year to get your feet wet and then maybe starting another league next year with 20 teams if you still want to do that.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby nolimits » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:06 am

I have to agree. A 20-man league sounds insane. I think it would be more frustrating vs challenging. With 20 teams, it is impossible for every team to have a backup QB for injuries, bye-weeks, etc. Hell, even many teams won't have a strong RB1 position.

In my last 2 seasons, I ran one of my leagues with a 2QB starter rule. One year we had 12 and the next 10 teams. While it was challenging and exciting to some degree, the draft dynamics changed greatly and some guys would stock up on 4QB's leaving others with the minimum of 2QB's and a very, very frustrating season. Others that drafted 3QB's would get plagued with injuries, bye-weeks, etc and also become frustrated. While all agreed it was challenging, all also agreed it was too frustrating as the whole season really hinged on who was going to get lucky with QB's and not so much about good management, trading, etc.

Looking back, if I wanted something more challenging and a 2QB starter league, I would do a max 10 team league with max 3QB per team roster. That consumes 30QB's which is basically every starter. Also, I would incorporate an IR spot so players have a place to stash injured QB's and pick up a backup until the injured QB returns.

Getting back to your topic. A 20 man league will leave most of your players very frustrated. I would re-think this decision and go with something like I mentioned. Or cut it down to 14 max and run 1QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1K, 1DEF and 5BENCH.
nolimits
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BlueNGold » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks for the replies.

It's too late for me to turn my back on a 20 teamer. I have all of my owners and everyone seems to be fully in on this. I'm going to give it a run this season and see how things play out. I'm sure there's a reason 20 teamers aren't the norm, but I'll just have to find out why on my own. It's not like it's going to be a super-competitive/hardcore league anyways. It's just a group of good guys from another site I've posted at for years, so we'll see what happens.

I've already cemented most of the rules/settings as well. I just need some help figuring out what the best roster format would be for a 20 team league if you guys could make some suggestions. I've already made tweaks since I first posted and am currently looking at QB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex, D/ST, K, IR and 4 bench spots.
BlueNGold

Postby murphysxm » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 am

It is almost essential to have larger benches in a format like this. $ bench spots means teams will have to drop players to cover bye weeks. I think you have to have a bench large enough to have room for a back up QB and a combo of 5 RB/WR/TE, so a minimum of 6 spots. There will still be players on waivers, just not many Larger formats, by design, emphasize the draft. It's tough to do both.....
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 238)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:59 am

One prob you will run into is guys not having a backup QB for their bye week as there's only 32 starters - likewise if everyone tries to grab 2 D/ST's there will be a shortage in bye weeks (and maybe even kickers too). I agree with Murph about the bench spots - having larger benches means there won't be much left on the WW but that can be good as it forces guys to trade and keeps people active.

Just be prepared that some guys will decide their team is no good and may quit during the season.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby BlueNGold » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 pm

So if I go with larger benches, is there really any point in maintaining an auction system for the waiver wire since the talent there will be fairly diluted?

Also, should I introduce any limits on positions?
BlueNGold

Return to Commissioner's Corner