3rd pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

3rd pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

3rd pick

Postby pelletierry » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 pm

In a 12 man ppr league, I have the third pick. Really torn on what I should do. Do I have to take one of the top three rbs? I have had bad luck with my first rd rbs lately. Should I try to trade for the 4th-6th pick. Leaning towards rodgers or cal johnson if there at 3.
Russel Wilson, Bradford, ray rice, reggie bsh, sproles, woodhead, vereen, jody nelson, kenbrell thompkins, emmanual sanders, micheal floyd, jimmy graham, gronk, crosby, baltimore ppr league, start qb, rb, rb, wr/te, wr/te, rb/wr/te, k, def
pelletierry Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3rd pick

Postby drhanl » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm in the exact same spot.

I suspect Foster/Rice to go 1/2. So, I see no other choices but McCoy or Rodgers. There is no way I pick WR there. That position is too volatile. I have ran every scenario I can possibly run. In every point projection scenario, Picking Rodgers at #3 comes out ahead of picking McCoy. But, it's going to mean a RB combo of someone in the D. Murray/D. Martin range. I don't think I am gutsy enough to do that. The other bid advantage of picking rodgers is that it seems like it would be extremely safe.

I have never taken QB round 1, until last year. And, I took Vick at 8. Biggest mistake ever. I was chasing my tail the rest of the draft and the rest of the year.

I am leaning towards McCoy. But, would love to hear other opinions. All the odds probably say pick Rodgers. It just doesn't seem right to me.
drhanl
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 65)

Postby dagnuk » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 pm

If you want Rodgers, then take him because you're not getting another shot at him. The top-3 running backs aren't something I'd pass up on, though.
dagnuk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafeholic

Postby latraffic » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:20 pm

I will say it up front, I have always been a "get your RBs early and often" kind of owner. That being said, you have got to get whomever is left of the Foster/Rice/McCoy set.

Now, if you've kept reading, I would tell YOU to go ahead and get Rodgers. Why? Because you're not having any luck with your 1st round RB picks in the past ("I have had bad luck with my first rd rbs lately") so why keep doing something that's not working for you? AND it sounds like your GUT is telling you to go Rodgers. And the only thing that ever trumps my draft strategy is a strong feeling in my gut about a player.

Hope that helps. Have a great season.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby murphysxm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 pm

dagnuk wrote:If you want Rodgers, then take him because you're not getting another shot at him. The top-3 running backs aren't something I'd pass up on, though.

Spot on, well put
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Postby JoshB » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:02 pm

If it's a PPR league, why would you take a QB in the first round? You have to go RB here.
JoshB
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 14)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions