Who to take with 5th pick? Foster, Newton or Stafford & WHY? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Who to take with 5th pick? Foster, Newton or Stafford & WHY?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who to take with 5th pick? Foster, Newton or Stafford & WHY?

Postby JaysFan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 pm

I am in a 12 team 2 QB PPR league that rewards big plays. Because its 12 teams and 2 starting qb's per team, the top 3 picks WILL BE Rodgers, Brady and Brees. I know #4 will take one of Foster, Stafford or Newton, but if you were him, who would you take at 5? If I go Foster I will likely have Roethlisberger or maybe RG3 or Romo as my #1 and likely a rb like Charles, Sproles or Trent Richardson as my qb.

If I take Stafford or Newton, I will end up with either Graham/Gronk in round 2 OR if they're gone Demarco Murray, Forte or Mathews as my rb with a WR like Julio Jones or a RB like Charles/Richardson/Sproles in round 3.

A) which route should I go and..
B) if I go the QB route, do I take Stafford or Newton?

WHIR!!!!!!
JaysFan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who to take with 5th pick? Foster, Newton or Stafford &

Postby 11stever11 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:25 pm

I would take Stafford. He has a solid group of wide receivers. I am worried about Newton due to a drop off of rushing touchdowns. I would rather grab Stafford over Foster in a 2QB league, since having a top 5 QB is a nice advantage.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby JaysFan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:36 pm

What if Stafford is taken at 4? Do I take Newton or Foster? With Foster you HAVE to take Tate too, which bugs me
JaysFan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 11stever11 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:40 pm

JaysFan wrote:What if Stafford is taken at 4? Do I take Newton or Foster? With Foster you HAVE to take Tate too, which bugs me

I would rather have Rice over Foster and Newton in PPR, he does not have competition for touches and he did not lose two offensive lineman like Foster did.
Thanks Franchise Fan for the sig!
11stever11

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 46)

Postby Jason497 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

I own Foster in a 12 team 4 keeper PPR League, somehow Ben Tate fell to 5.11 (like 9.11) for me to cuff him.

I had absolutely no intention of taking Ben Tate in this draft because he was going way higher than I'd ever consider taking a handcuff, but that late I think he makes more sense to take as a backup to the best player in fantasy football over say a backup QB.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Jason497 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:53 pm

11stever11 wrote:
JaysFan wrote:What if Stafford is taken at 4? Do I take Newton or Foster? With Foster you HAVE to take Tate too, which bugs me

I would rather have Rice over Foster and Newton in PPR, he does not have competition for touches and he did not lose two offensive lineman like Foster did.

He did lose Ben Grubbs though, a Pro Bowl guard.
Jason497
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 41)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 pm

In a 2 QB league, I ALWAYS take a QB with my 1st pick if I can get in the top QB tier. IMO, both Newton and Stafford are bottom of top tier QBs. Out of them my decision comes down to scoring. If all TDs=6, I take Stafford. If passing TDs=4 then I take Newton.

Please help me in return: viewtopic.php?t=515502
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BurritoBoy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:52 pm

11stever11 wrote:

I say that you have to take a top QB if one is there in rd 1. I agree that I like Stafford over Newton. Only thing that had Newton ranked so high were his rushing TDs, but those will fall for sure this year. I've said it before, but I believe one of the biggest reasons they brought in Tolbert was so that he could take those short rush TDs to preserve Newton's body for years to come. I think I would take Rice in a PPR over Newton, but you gotta be sure that you get some good QBs or you'll be in for a very long year.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby JaysFan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:25 am

So what if guy at #4 takes Stafford? Then what?
JaysFan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Irish Drunk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 pm

JaysFan wrote:So what if guy at #4 takes Stafford? Then what?

I think I would take Foster or Rice at #5 if this was the case and hope you can get a guy like Matt Ryan on the way back. If you think Ryan will be gone by your 2nd round pick I'd look at grabbing him. I think he is in for a monster campaign - 35 TD's and 4,500+ passing yards.
Trash Talkin Boozers League Champion 2008 & 2009, Super Bowl Champion 2010
Irish Drunk
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions