Handcuff or play the lottery? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Handcuff or play the lottery?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Handcuff or play the lottery?

Postby mike208 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:55 pm

So we have all heard it, all read the stories. The NFL is a passing game now. Teams use the RBBC approach. No more taking RB's with 4 of your first 5 picks. Gotta take a QB round 1 now, blah, blah, blah.

I've been playing fantasy football for 4 or 5 years now. I have never grasped the idea of handcuffing. I mean I understand it sure, but I don't get it, if that makes sense, lol. If you have a stud back, pick his backup. If the stud gets hurt you have a guy thats going to step up and fill that guys shoes. Sure he may not produce like the stud. But having a guy getting most of the snaps, is better then having a guy thats splitting a lot of carries. That all makes perfect sense if your running back gets hurt. If he doesn't then you are wasting a bench spot. Obviously no one can predict injuries, even if some are more prone then others.

My question is, is handcuffing still where its at? Or is it better to just go lottery style, pick a bunch of RB's in the mid to late rounds and hope to catch 1 or 2 that really take off?
mike208
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Handcuff or play the lottery?

Postby murphysxm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Welcome to the cafe! Heck of a 1st question, great topic.

For me, I only handcuff if I have a stud with a talented #2 that I feel comfortable will perform at a good level that I can start if my #1 goes down
Peyton Hillis, Michael Bush, Ben Tate, etc

or
My stud RB has a higher than normal chance of getting hurt/holding out
ie Michael Goodson and Rashad Jennings

Otherwise I draft on value, I'd rather have the back with a higher ceiling than a poor player that will stink if my stud goes down.
murphysxm

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 212)

Re: Handcuff or play the lottery?

Postby Namaste » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Agreed.

Handcuffs aren't like they were 10 years ago when teams gave the rock to one back and if that one went down then the next guy got all the touches.

There are few true handcuffs anymore. Ben Tate, Mike Bush, Felix Jones, Rashad Jennings, Toby Gerhart, Javon Ringer are the only ones I can think of. In almost every other situation the carries are already split or there isn't a clear idea of what would happen if your starter went down.

With that said of those 6, I would say only two are worth handcuffing...Tate and Bush. They've proven they can do it when given the chance. The other guys aren't as exciting, they may be able to produce if given the chance, or may not. Gerhart is only on the list because he is they guy without AP, but I wouldn't use a roster spot hanging on to him.
Namaste
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Beginner's Forum