How to Properly Run an IR Spot? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to Properly Run an IR Spot?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How to Properly Run an IR Spot?

Postby nolimits » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:49 am

Hey all, been playing FF for awhile now. And been commissioner of 2 leagues for 3 years now. Last year we saw some unique injury things happen like with P Manning, etc. This year, I would like to incorporate the IR spot, but would like more info how this works exactly.

FYI, these leagues are managed via Yahoo. They are NON-KEEPER leagues. I know IR means "out for the year" in real NFL talk. Is this how Yahoo treats the IR position? Or can it be used with "manual intervention" to allow for injuries, etc as I would like.

Assuming Yahoo allows flexibility, what are some of the best tips, policies and procedures you have put in-place that helps you manage it w/o the league hating you?
nolimits
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How to Properly Run an IR Spot?

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:07 am

IR spots were really only needed for keeper or dynasty leagues in the past since there was no reason to hold onto a guy in a redraft league if he's done for the season.

I believe I read that the NFL is changing the IR list this year so that players can be put on it for a portion of the season - thus it will have relevance in redrafts too. If you have small benches, IR spots are good to have (1 or 2 at most) - in the case of larger benches it may not be necessary.

I suggest you throw it open to a league vote if you want to introduce it. ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby nolimits » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:13 am

stomperrob wrote:IR spots were really only needed for keeper or dynasty leagues in the past since there was no reason to hold onto a guy in a redraft league if he's done for the season.

I believe I read that the NFL is changing the IR list this year so that players can be put on it for a portion of the season - thus it will have relevance in redrafts too. If you have small benches, IR spots are good to have (1 or 2 at most) - in the case of larger benches it may not be necessary.

I suggest you throw it open to a league vote if you want to introduce it. ;-D

First off, thank you for the comments. Much appreciated. ;-D

Currently we have 10 teams in this league. There is a 50/50 it might grow to 12 teams by the weekend but that will be the max. Currently we have this roster setup:

1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1W/R/T, 1K, 1DEF, 7BENCH

So there is some depth on the bench. And truthfully I am not wanting to use the IR spot as a "true" IR spot since as you noted it's really designed for keeper leagues. I was wanting to use it more for week-to-week injuries where players are out for X time due to an injury but not technically placed on IR.

I have never used the IR spot in Yahoo to know if they restrict players to players designated IR by the NFL, or if the commish has control over who goes in the IR spot. If the commish has control then I can setup some rules and post them so all can agree and do this manually. If not, it's a waste like you said.

FWIW, I have talked with 80% of the managers and they are in favor of an IR spot if it can be used as I would like.
nolimits
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Hags888 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:45 am

I'm not sure how Yahoo does it, but I would imagine it's probably the same as ESPN. On ESPN you can move a player to the IR spot as long as they've been ruled "out" for that particular game. So, if they've been placed on IR, PUP or just imply rule out, then you can move a guy down there. It's a pretty nifty little bench space tool.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Cards24 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 pm

We use an IR spot in a non keeper league. The requirement for eligibility is IR, OUT, or DOUBTFUL based on that weeks Injury report (which comes out on Fridays). If the player does not meet that requirement and is sitting on the IR slot the submitted lineup is considered illegal and the team gets 0 points for the week.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Commissioner's Corner