How To Keep Teams Competitive At Seasons End - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How To Keep Teams Competitive At Seasons End

Moderator: Football Moderators

How To Keep Teams Competitive At Seasons End

Postby kingdon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Who enjoys seeing a team that you need to win during your playoff stretch lose because they were 1-11 and decided it wasnt in their best interest to change their lineup. This is not rampant in my league but there have been occasions where the bottom feeders completely neglect their team and ruin the competitive balance of the league. It becomes 4-5 teams vying for free agents. Those same teams are the only one monitoring their team.

How can you make your league more competitive where a team who is 1-11 has incentive to set his lineup for the 13th week?

We are considering raising league fee just a tad to payout highest score each week. I still feel the little money we are raising it would not give anyone any more incentive.

Ive raised league fee every year but this seems like the year where nobody can bend any further. I would love to make the weekly payouts higher for top scorer but that would really tick off owners who enjoy the larger prize pool at seasons end.

Any tips? My league is a 10 team .5 ppr redraft (non keeper)
kingdon
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How To Keep Teams Competitive At Seasons End

Postby Hags888 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Giving out weekly bonuses to highest scoring player, team, etc is the usual way to help keep people interested. If you do a "consolation ladder" you can also give an award for that, so even if a team finishes 1-11, they could still ascend the ladder and win a prize (depending on how you have it setup). Dishing out money every week will definitely eat into the final end prize, but that is the trade-off to keep teams motivated throughout the year (for some, pride is enough, but that doesn't work for everybody). You might consider the following percentage breakdown for your pool:

1st Place: 37%
2nd Place: 15%
3rd Place: 10%
4th Place: 5%
Consolation Ladder: 5%

Weekly Payout for Most Team Points: 1% each week (assumes 14 week regular season)
Weekly Payout for Most Player Points: 1% each week (assumes 14 week regular season)

So, assuming that buy-in for a 10-team leagues means that each person contributes 10% of the pool, you're guaranteed to get your money back if you finish in the top 3, and you'll make half of it back if you finish in the top half of the league. The little bonuses throughout the week can potentially earn your buy-in money back, and then some. If you have a shorter regular season, you can dump more of the pool back into the 1st place position to make that worth more. While this will certainly limit what the 1st place payout is worth, if your goal is to keep people motivated by money and playing all the way into the playoffs, then I think this could be an answer. Either way, you'll have to limit the top-end payout somehow. Just play with the percentages until it looks right to you.
SKOL VIKINGS!
Hags888
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dupree » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:43 pm

We run a almost ran bowl alongside the playoffs. The 6 teams who do not make the playoffs play for draft position in the next year.

Playoff teams get picks 6-12 (12 going to the League Champ)
Non-Playoff teams play for picks 1-6 (pick 1 goes to the winner of the losers bracket)

This gives the non-playoff teams something to fight for and we don't subsidize mediocrity (i.e. "suck for Luck")

We also have an aloha bowl in week 17 (champ. game is in week 16) where the team that puts up the most points wins their entry fee back. This game is pretty wide open due to all the studs riding the clinched the playoff pine.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cards24 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:15 pm

A Playoff Bowl System my friend ;-) I run a 12 team 3 division league with three bowl brackets based on seeding.
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dupree » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:18 pm

would love to hear more details around this set up.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cards24 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 pm

dupree wrote:would love to hear more details around this set up.

Dupree, kinda similar to your system. The driver is for incentives. In your case its the draft position in our league its money. Everyone in the league LOVES this system because at the end of the season everyone is playing for something.

We run a 12 team league (3 divisions) and the top 4 seeded teams make the Championship Game. This one is the big money maker. We pay for Champion and runner up, so all you have to do is win your first game in the playoffs and you are in the money.

The second Bowl is the "Toilet Bowl" and teams seeded in the 5, 6, 7, and 8 spots get to play in it.

Finally we have a "Losers Bowl" which the seeded teams (9, 10, 11, and 12) duke it out. Potentially you can be in the bottom third of the league and still get a respectable $50 pay day.

So the question you might ask is "A team who losses in the first round Championship Game is out of the money but teams that are seeded lower can come out big winners... That's not fair!"

This is were it becomes interesting... After the first week's playoff games the two losers from the Championship Game and the Toilet Bowl drop down one bowl game and get a second chance to play for money at a one level lower bowl. Its only fair since they were higher seeded. Payouts are pretty lucrative and gives everyone a chance to compete and stay engaged.

I know it sounds a little complicated but I included a link of our website with the bracket of the playoffs.

http://www33.myfantasyleague.com/2012/home/21575#6
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bjoliva » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:52 am

dupree wrote:We run a almost ran bowl alongside the playoffs. The 6 teams who do not make the playoffs play for draft position in the next year.

Playoff teams get picks 6-12 (12 going to the League Champ)
Non-Playoff teams play for picks 1-6 (pick 1 goes to the winner of the losers bracket)

This gives the non-playoff teams something to fight for and we don't subsidize mediocrity (i.e. "suck for Luck")

We also have an aloha bowl in week 17 (champ. game is in week 16) where the team that puts up the most points wins their entry fee back. This game is pretty wide open due to all the studs riding the clinched the playoff pine.

It's been proven time and time again that draft positioning in fantasy football means nothing. I don't understand the rationale behind "rewarding" non-playoff teams for poor performance the year prior, ESPECIALLY if it were a redraft league... just to get them to care the last half of the year...

i recently read mark blount's "the art of being commissioner" and he addresses this topic. he says the best way to avoid complacency and apathy toward the end of a season is to create a long standing league history, and to constantly remind league members of that history, so that they know SOMEONE is keeping track of their performance. Whether good or bad, you WILL be reminded of it. my league is 6 years running and i really do agree with mr. blount. the past 2 years i've done a power rankings, and this year compiled overall record, winning %'s, and playoff appearances, etc and the league really got a kick out of it. i'm even going to get someone's girlfriend to create a posterboard of the rankings and post it at the draft this saturday.

i do like the aloha bowl idea though. i'm trying to figure out a way to extend fantasy into the playoffs.. that would be amazing. 16 weeks is just way too short for me... i love fantasy football lol
bjoliva
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dupree » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 am

People don't let reality get in the way of their perceptions. People perceive the 1,2,3 draft positions to be desirable and therefore they are playing for something. We are a fun low entry fee league of people that have fun playing, it works for us and to your point hte "reward" is in reality a non-reward anyway. In the end it just ensures that there is something for the teams with poor records to have a reason to set a line-up and something to look forward to throughout the season. I see no reason to only allow them to play 13 weeks b/c their team sucked. We only get 16 weeks a year and regardless of performance everyone should get the chance to play every week.

We also have a grounds for dismissal bylaws that luckily have never needed execution:

I forget now from where I stole these:

Because active participation on all fronts is a key ingredient to any successful fantasy league, the FFFL strongly encourages attendance at the annual draft and REQUIRES active participation throughout the season.

A. GROUNDS FOR REMOVAL.
The following conditions make a FFFL owner eligible for removal pursuant to the FFFL Removal Procedures (section B):

1. An owner fails to submit an active starting lineup more than three weeks in any given season. For the purposes of this Section (A1), failing to submit an active starting lineup includes, but is not limited to, the following: starting a player who is on a bye week, starting a player who is out for the year with an injury, or failing to submit a full lineup. Starting a player who is "questionable" or who has a nagging injury is not a failure to start an active lineup. This is really meant to cover players on bye and those that obviously can't play due to a serious injury. [Note: ESPN makes it easy to help you ensure that you don't start someone on bye or someone with a serious injury. Thus, submitting inactive lineups is a pretty good sign you didn't even check your roster for the week, which is inexcusable. Please take the 2 minutes you need per week and at least get a valid roster submitted].

B. REMOVAL PROCEDURES.

If an owner commits an act that is Grounds for Removal (Section A above), then the following Removal Procedures shall apply:

1. Initial Notice.
a. Immediately after learning of the violation, the Commissioner will send out an email (the "Initial Notice") to all FFFL owners notifying the league that an owner has committed Grounds for Removal and that a Removal Vote (see Section B.2 below) will be held.

b. The Initial Notice will contain the following: a) the name of the "At Risk Owner"; b) the explanation of the Grounds for Removal; and c) a notice to the At Risk Owner that he/she has the option, within seven (7) days of the Initial Notice, to submit a Written Explanation to the other FFFL owners explaining why he/she should not be removed from the FFFL. Although any factors can be set forth, key information to explain circumstances that resulted in the Grounds for Removal (i.e., why you failed to submit your lineup three times in a year, etc.). The Written Explanation, if used, are limited to 500 words or less.

2. Removal Vote.

a. After the At Risk Owner submits a Written Explanation or after seven (7) days have elapsed from sending of the Initial Notice (whichever is sooner), the other 11 owners MUST submit a vote to the Commissioner of either (a) Remove Owner, (b) Keep Owner, or (c) Abstain (i.e., no position).

b. The Commissioner will then notify the FFFL Owners of the results of the Removal Vote. If the Commissioner receives 6 or more "Remove Owner" votes, then the FFFL Owners will be notified that the At Risk Owner has been removed from the FFFL and a replacement will be immediately sought for entry into the league in accordance with the Commissioner's waiting list of owners wanting to join the league.

NOTE: If two or more owners are subject to removal under the Removal Procedures at the same time, both At Risk Owners will vote on whether the other owner should be removed just as though he wasn't also being voted on for removal.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 am

Every game, every week, has a financial incentive built into it for both the winner and the loser.

If your entry fee is $50, then the loser of every game pays $3 into the prize pool for each loss, and the winner is awarded $1.50 from the prize pool.

If your entry fee is $500, then the loser of every game pays $20 into the prize pool, and the winner is awarded $10 from the prize pool.

Set the $'s where you want them, but set the loser payment to twice what the winner receives.

It not only keeps your owners actively managing their team all the way through the season, it progressively builds your prize pool throughout the season.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner