Pick #5 - Chris Johnson or Brady? Quick vote - WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Pick #5 - Chris Johnson or Brady? Quick vote - WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who you taking at #5? WHIR

Chris Johnson
44%
Tom Brady
56%

Total votes : 34

Re: Pick #5 - Chris Johnson or Brady? Quick vote - WHIR

Postby angels7777 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:00 pm

SameSongNDance wrote:
Conrax wrote:I agree with the others to go with brady and brees because they both have tons of weapons and will be throwing the ball alot and they are consistent. CJ carries risk because he is probably going have to carry the offense for the Titans particuarly if Locker starts at QB and I am not sure he will be able to do it. Besides when it is PPR even .5 PPR some players carry more value like Sproles and Bush.

What about Chris Johnson who had the 5th most receptions last year, 12 more than Bush?

I think his point was that there are deeper options with increased value given this format.
10 tms
.5 PPR, 6 pts for pass TD

QB- Cam
WR- AJ Green, J. Nelson, J. Gordon
RB- Sproles, Forte
TE- Graham
FLX- Fitz
Def- Matchup Based
K- D. Bailey

BN- Chris Johnson, Blackmon, M. Brown, L. Bell, Randle, Rivers, Spiller
angels7777
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 232)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SameSongNDance » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:24 pm

angels7777 wrote:
SameSongNDance wrote:
Conrax wrote:I agree with the others to go with brady and brees because they both have tons of weapons and will be throwing the ball alot and they are consistent. CJ carries risk because he is probably going have to carry the offense for the Titans particuarly if Locker starts at QB and I am not sure he will be able to do it. Besides when it is PPR even .5 PPR some players carry more value like Sproles and Bush.

What about Chris Johnson who had the 5th most receptions last year, 12 more than Bush?

I think his point was that there are deeper options with increased value given this format.

Then I guess he'd be wrong because this position, regardless of format, is as shallow as I've ever seen it. Banking on grabbing one of a very small group of RBs boosted by the format is too risky seeing as how everyone will be gunning for value RBs. The QB position is arguably much deeper, especially with many going in the early rounds. IMO I'd rather have CJ and some one like Matt Ryan/Rivers than Brady and a RB going in the similar round as the aforementioned QBs (Redman, Steward, Green, BGE). Yeah, I'll pass.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby angels7777 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:19 am

SameSongNDance wrote:
angels7777 wrote:
SameSongNDance wrote:

Then I guess he'd be wrong because this position, regardless of format, is as shallow as I've ever seen it. Banking on grabbing one of a very small group of RBs boosted by the format is too risky seeing as how everyone will be gunning for value RBs. The QB position is arguably much deeper, especially with many going in the early rounds. IMO I'd rather have CJ and some one like Matt Ryan/Rivers than Brady and a RB going in the similar round as the aforementioned QBs (Redman, Steward, Green, BGE). Yeah, I'll pass.

A better question would be: would you rather have Stafford/CJ or Brady/Charles?
10 tms

QB- Cam
RB- Sproles, Forte
TE- Graham
FLX- Fitz
Def- Matchup Based
K- D. Bailey

angels7777
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby BurritoBoy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 am

angels7777 wrote:
SameSongNDance wrote:
angels7777 wrote:

A better question would be: would you rather have Stafford/CJ or Brady/Charles?

I like Stafford/CJ more than Brady/Charles. I like CJ MUCH more than Charles, but I also think that if Stafford stays healthy (a HUGE if) all 16 games then he will improve and continue to grow. I don't see nearly as huge of a gap between Brady/Stafford as I do between CJ (who I think will be great this year) and Charles. That's why I'd go CJ2K at 5. Many RBs recieve a boost due to the PPR stat, but it is still a very thin pos. and you need at least 3 good RBs to compete. You can win with a guy like Eli or Matty Ice who will still throw for 4,500 yards.
BurritoBoy Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 12)

Postby godd2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 am

i think having a top qb is key. even though johnson caught alot of balls last year. to me brady is less likely to go down as well. i just feel like the rbs in general this year are all about the same after the first few big ones where as brady is a consistant point machine.

please help with mine:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=515641
QB's: rivers, flacco
RB's: d. williams, thomas jones, bradshaw, woodhead, ricky williams
WR's: Wayne, s. moss, boldin, wallace
TE: keller, lewis
K:
def: chargers
godd2
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Fielder's Buffet » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:02 am

SameSongNDance wrote:Absolutely go with CJ. There is a premium on RBs this year with the pool so shallow. As for QBs, you can get great value on people like Rivers, Ryan and sometimes Romo in the later rounds. The position is pretty deep.

Agree with this assessment... picking top 3 QB in 1st rd is a safe move, but puts too much risk in your RB picks. Would rather get a #1 RB with large upside (some risk) and wait later for the QBs he mentions.

help me out here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=515643
Fielder's Buffet
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:17 am

angels7777 wrote:.5 PPR 6 pts passing TD 10 teams

I feel like with 10 teams I can still get an elite QB and RB is thin. Thoughts?

Chris Johnson rushed 10 times for 46 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' second preseason game Friday night at Tampa.
RB is thin - QB is deep

Brady and here's why. Brady is a consistent performer. You don't win leagues in the 1st round, but you sure can lose them. Remember Johnson torpedoing everyone's season last year? I do.
VY fan for life
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Postby angels7777 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:28 am

9 votes to 9. Looks like we are back to square 1.
10 tms

QB- Cam
RB- Sproles, Forte
TE- Graham
FLX- Fitz
Def- Matchup Based
K- D. Bailey

angels7777
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby SameSongNDance » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:11 pm

angels7777 wrote:9 votes to 9. Looks like we are back to square 1.

I think if you did some mock drafts you'd realize it's a no-brainer. Nearly every mock in which I took a RB in the first round I was able to build a solid core around him with the QB and WR pools being as deep as they are. If I took Rodgers/Brady/Brees, I ended up being extremely weak at RB, because again, the pool is so shallow. Although this has turned into a passing league, we are still forced to start at least 2 RBs in most leagues. Unless you nab a sleeper or someone with a lot of value, the odds of you being to build a stable RB core are very slim. There are too many tandems, too many question marks surrounding too many RBs.
SameSongNDance
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby angels7777 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Chris Johnson's stock is no doubt rising...
10 tms

QB- Cam
RB- Sproles, Forte
TE- Graham
FLX- Fitz
Def- Matchup Based
K- D. Bailey

angels7777
Head Coach